Sign in to follow this  
Death Star

Bill Deedes

Guest Guest

Oh dear. What a tremendous shame.

A fine journalist & a cultured man. They don't make them like him anymore.

But well done to Deathlist - a quite amazing summer performance, banishing all the criticism of earlier in the year.

Bill Deedes is the 9th success of 2007.

He is the 159th since 1987.

The 2007 list is now in 9th place shared with 1994, 1995 and 1997 out of 21 lists.

Good stuff. Thought I might be the first to announce it but sadly not

Oh dear. What a tremendous shame.

A fine journalist & a cultured man. They don't make them like him anymore.

But well done to Deathlist - a quite amazing summer performance, banishing all the criticism of earlier in the year.

Top man and a really good chap to talk to. Last spoke to him in 2004 - and was still completely on the ball.

One of the last of the old guard, sadly - and, of course, the only man to edit a national newspaper and sit in cabinet.

what a turn around for this year. only a few months ago we were kicking ourselves for not getting a single hit and letting many others slip by

Guest johnball
<_< just found out, a party for deathlist 2007 surely...

I'm ashamed to say I just logged on to the news and let rip a hearty 'YEEESSSSS' - and was rewarded with a look of pity when I explained the reason for my exclamation of joy.

what a turn around for this year. only a few months ago we were kicking ourselves for not getting a single hit and letting many others slip by

Well, Ernest Gallo died in March. But yeah, with four and a half months still to go, if we get another five deaths we'll be equal with 2003 as the best year yet, and going on the successes of this summer you never know...

It's funny to think that just a few short weeks ago, we were contemplating this year as

being one of the worst years ever for Deathlist and now, DL is on the path to perhaps its best!

It might have been a poor summer in Britain, but it's been a golden summer for the Deathlist!

Now for some more.... <_<

Guest Vic Mackey

Good. He had been pleading for it for f*****g years, the C-word.

He was good guy. We exchanged letters once - a journalist's journalist to the end.

there are so many people on the brink of death on this year's list - I reckon there will be 19 successes this year.

But I read Deedes' article in the Telegraph today - doesn't look like the article of a dying man.

I'm sticking with my prediction of 19 for the year.

Guest Guest_iain_*
I seem to remember Bill being heavily involved in Princess Di's anti-landmines crusade in the nineties. Now that he himself is in his nineties, there would be a certain symmetry involved if he pops off in September this year, the tenth anniversary of the Paris car crash which robbed us of the queen of hearts.

he missed it by 2 weeks <_<

as a matter of interest,does anyone happen to know if there has been 8 hits in the space of 9 weeks before,or is this an all time record.I nottice that only twice before in deathlist history has there been as many as 9 hits by todays date,and theres never been m ore than 9.If there another hit before august 28 it will be the best year ever so far. I think Billy Graham will be hit no 10

there are so many people on the brink of death on this year's list - I reckon there will be 19 successes this year.

But I read Deedes' article in the Telegraph today - doesn't look like the article of a dying man.

I'm sticking with my prediction of 19 for the year.

Ambitious YIA, I think there are some certs on the list still to go but pushing 20 is a big ask.

Well this is great news on the DL-success front! Who woulda thought that after years of list-compiling, the selection committee might have actually got it right again this year? I reckon they may well deserve to have a round bought for them at the impending con.

Guest Watcher

A great man. He really should have (contd. age 94)

Not meaning to be a moaning Minnie, but Lord Deedes was 94. The DL front page has him as 92 years old.

Might want to keep that in mind for his write-up.

May I take this opportunity to congratulate whoever it was who came up with the snappy title for Deedes' death on the home page. I think it's hilarious; it makes me smile every time I read it. :referee:

Well this is great news on the DL-success front! Who woulda thought that after years of list-compiling, the selection committee might have actually got it right again this year?

Most of the picks people were complaining at are still alive though...