Godot

What Are You Giving Up For Lent?

In a recent conversation with my therapist we were talking about 'eat for your blood type' and I was having her read to me everything that I should and should not eat and coffee 'for example is good for the 'A blood type' while Tea shouldn't be my first choice. 'And it isn't because I would never drink tea'

How much do you pay your therapist an hour?

If you can make a 5-hour booking with me [2pm to 7pm, say, some Saturday] I'll undercut him or her by 10% and I'll throw in your bus fare down to London. We'll sit in a secluded area of a pub in Islington and talk things through. I'll even pay for your blackcurrant and sodas [although I think lime and soda would benefit your lower gut more] out of my fee.

Whaddya think?

I don't really go for this Lent thing, but if I did I'd be much more inclined to add positive things to my life rather than strip out negatives.

I think it'd make far more sense to commit to getting in shape [or getting slightly less out of shape] for Lent than giving up chocolate, say.

Similarly, committing to a new, good enterprise, like running / worthwhile reading / firming up old friendships or whatever seems a lot better than just resolving not to do something like smoking for the period. The benefits of the former will long outlast those of the latter, assuming that the bad habit is taken up again afterwards.

Alphonsin, at some extreme it sounds like your challenges are mine. The whole 'eat for your blood type' or just 'eating healthy' method is very important because not only does it affect 'how you think' it affects how you feel and how you look. I'm not obese or anything thank god, it's more the less some form of rejuvenation since in the past few months I've made changes in my life such as better organization\being more open to things 'which is very hard' and giving up weed, which I haven't smoked since September. I lack some exercise but it's 9 degrees out (so there is my excuse) but overall I've made progress.

My therapist isn't that expensive but we mainly talk about the stepping stones which will lead up to my goals. It's all about building bridges and possibly even changing the way I view some things so I could literally be more of a human being. I can't see how I could ever possibly come to London right now and I want to say your offer is very generous, but if you ever need advice I would always be more then happy to help.

I really should have trained to be a Therapist.

Im sure I could have brought my own kind of expertise to the Profession.

I do, occassionally, allow myself the fantasy that I am offering therapy to some poor tortured soul.

I see myself in a magnificent office, with my hands wrapped around said souls neck, shaking them violently as I tell them

"Pull youself together, you f*****g Idiot!"

Id find that a highly pleasurable way ( Im too old and ugly to be a Gigolo) of making some serious money.

I took the wrong fork in the road, didnt I. :(

Fellatio Nelson, I've always had the same 'I'm the psychiatrist without a practice' mentality only several times this fantasy has come to life.

About three or four years ago I knew this chick who was suicidal in every sense of the word. Don't ask how I met her because she wasn't apart of my 'typical crowd' but she had relationship issues and her father had been convicted of raping this woman 'I never got into it much' but he was set for trial and was possibly going to serve up to ten years in prison. Now there are some people in life 'who want guidance' and then there are the people who just want you to hear a sob story from a mindset that they aren't ever willing to come out of. I thought she was the second option.

One night she called me and sounded like Courtney Love on Crystal Meth and said 'she was going to slit her wrists'. Now I could have said 'OK well on average only '3\10' women actually get the job done' but I didn't and 'I talked her through the situation' and explained how there is no phase which is forever 'ex ex' and it turned out her life got back in order and soon after that I made sure I cut her off.

Guest What's it all about?

I think we are missing the point here somewhat. Whilst these positive things Alphonsin suggested make good new years resolutions, lent is supposedly about giving something up to identify with Christ's suffering in the wilderness. If you don't believe in Christianity or understand the reasons behind denying yourself something there is little point to the excercise other than a self-imposed detox, which quite frankly can be done anytime one chooses. Why not give something up during daylight hours for Ramadan too whilst you are at it.

I apparently have given up deathlist hits.

I think we are missing the point here somewhat. Whilst these positive things Alphonsin suggested make good new years resolutions, lent is supposedly about giving something up to identify with Christ's suffering in the wilderness. If you don't believe in Christianity or understand the reasons behind denying yourself something there is little point to the excercise other than a self-imposed detox, which quite frankly can be done anytime one chooses. Why not give something up during daylight hours for Ramadan too whilst you are at it.

I agree with you, really. It's just that since Lent *has* been pretty much secularised, it might as well be treated as a positive opportunity rather than a period of stripping things out. But, as you say, that's not in keeping with what it's really about.

I often point out to a clergyman I know that it's a great pity that people miss out on what Easter is *really* about -- that we spend time gorging ourselves on chocolate eggs etc and fail to remember that at this time our thoughts should be focused on who it's all concerning: the Easter Bunny.

Ramadan is great. A while ago I lived in a country that observed it and it meant that the streets, which were at all other times completely hectic, were wonderfully empty in the half-hour or so leading up to iftar, the breaking of the fast, and the next hour or so after. Amusingly, observers of Ramadan tend to eat far, far more in the period than at other times of year. Religious binge eating, it can't be beaten.

(The one drawback is that people are in filthy moods during the day, largely because they can't smoke).

Yup it's come around again. Have been thinking about this for all of five minutes. I can't give up beer as I'm off to

at the weekend. So it has to be complete DL cold turkey after lurking about too much this past few weeks. It's tough as the DL is still the best thing on the box.

But I think there has to be something in the fasting line too so have decided to lay off pastry until Easter. So that's all pies, pasties, egg custards and jam tarts. Tough but doable.

Is anyone else going to join me in some seasonal self-induced suffering. Lardy? How about cheese and bacon burgers?

How about the entire membership pledging to be nice to Banshees for 40 days. Is that possible?

Guest Ernest Borgnine
Yup it's come around again. Have been thinking about this for all of five minutes. I can't give up beer as I'm off to
at the weekend. So it has to be complete DL cold turkey after lurking about too much this past few weeks. It's tough as the DL is still the best thing on the box.

But I think there has to be something in the fasting line too so have decided to lay off pastry until Easter. So that's all pies, pasties, egg custards and jam tarts. Tough but doable.

Is anyone else going to join me in some seasonal self-induced suffering. Lardy? How about cheese and bacon burgers?

How about the entire membership pledging to be nice to Banshees for 40 days. Is that possible?

I'm going to give up masturbation. It's going to be hard. Very hard.

But it should wear off after a cold shower or two.

You've obviously already given up your medication as you're clearly mental. :lol:

I've lost three stone in the last year, so my cheese and bacon burger diet is obviously working.

I pledge to give up fresh air, and smoke as many fags as I can for 40 days and nights.

I gave up fizzy juice in March of last year...thus I will continue not to have fizzy juice... :lol:

I'm going to give up eating pancakes for Lent

Just to warn you Godot Dublin will be hectic on Saturday, the buses are going on strike!

Thanks to Wendy Richards, I'm giving up last place in the DDP.

I've never done a Lent denial thing before but I gave up all sweets (candy, pie, cookies, cake, ice cream). I wonder if I'll make it?

Wow, what are the odds of the relatively famous Wendy Richard, and the far less famous Wendy Richards, dying on the same day? Amazing!

I don't like your chances of getting the required obit for Wendy Richards though. But Wendy Richard is a shoo in.

Wow, what are the odds of the relatively famous Wendy Richard, and the far less famous Wendy Richards, dying on the same day? Amazing!

I don't like your chances of getting the required obit for Wendy Richards though. But Wendy Richard is a shoo in.

Likewise, I wouldn't be surprised if the unsung Keith Richard expires on the same day as Keith Richards, while complete nobody Chris Eubanks is likely to peg it when Chris Eubank does.

And it's 100% certain that Stephen Hawkins is a goner on the day of Stephen Hawking's death.

Good Friday Status Report anyone?

I certainly haven't seen much of Mr. Godot round here the last 40-odd days.

Seek, and ye shall find, old friend :(

Or nights for that matter.

Seek, and ye shall find, old friend :(

Oh yes.

I'd forgotten about him.

I've never done a Lent denial thing before but I gave up all sweets (candy, pie, cookies, cake, ice cream). I wonder if I'll make it?

It's Good Friday and I haven't partaken in any sweets. Only a day and a half to go. To be completely honest, I don't love sweets so it hasn't been too difficult.

It's Good Friday and I haven't partaken in any sweets. Only a day and a half to go. To be completely honest, I don't love sweets so it hasn't been too difficult.

Well come on now, surely the point is to give up something that tempts you? In that case, I declare that I gave up mushrooms and felching for Lent, and have been jolly successful.