Guest IYG

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, How long can they Carry On?

Hey MODS ‘how long can they carry on’ was a subtitle, not part of the thread title.

9 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Young's still standing up to everyone

Young Willz?

16 hours ago, charon said:

The cunto ditched his Nationality, so he isn't loyal to anything but his bank account.....

Bit harsh IMHO - and the counter-argument starts by asking who other than Neil Young made and anti gulf war album and then toured it right through the territories of the USA in which the most support for that war was to be found? 

Seriously, everyone with a reputation amongst his generation was raging about Vietnam but most of them did the corporate whore bit early this century and shut up about Bush heading into Iraq and Afghanistan. So we assume Dylan, Springsteen, etc. all that that conflict a good idea, right?

2 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Pegi Young, the ex-wife of Neil Young, has died aged 66.

Paul Young's wife, now Neil Young's wife.  Hmmmmmmm.
Any other male Youngs in the music bizz?  Their spouse may be in peril.

8 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Pegi Young, the ex-wife of Neil Young, has died aged 66.

Artist in her own right and support act to Neil on part of a world tour about a decade back

• Like 1

New documentary on David Crosby's life, here's an article with lots of health statements:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/david-crosby-is-making-songs-as-he-faces-the-end-11562385662

"Because I'm going to die"

“I have eight stents in my heart, and I’m going to have a heart attack in the next year or two, and that’ll be it,” he says. “I’m trying to get the music out of my head first.”

"Early in the new documentary movie “David Crosby: Remember My Name,” the musician says flatly that he is afraid of dying after battling hepatitis C, receiving a liver transplant and now struggling with diabetes, on top of his cardiac issues."

• Like 3

4 hours ago, gcreptile said:

New documentary on David Crosby's life, here's an article with lots of health statements:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/david-crosby-is-making-songs-as-he-faces-the-end-11562385662

"Because I'm going to die"

“I have eight stents in my heart, and I’m going to have a heart attack in the next year or two, and that’ll be it,” he says. “I’m trying to get the music out of my head first.”

"Early in the new documentary movie “David Crosby: Remember My Name,” the musician says flatly that he is afraid of dying after battling hepatitis C, receiving a liver transplant and now struggling with diabetes, on top of his cardiac issues."

Crosby is quite engaging on Twitter and regularly responds to queries, so it might be worth asking him straight out if he considers himself 2020 deadpool fodder.   Someone else will have to do it though, because I'm not brave enough.   

• Like 3

Nash has always struck me as the kind of person that is just going to keel over as dead as a dodo without any warning or known health issues.

I have a sneaky feeling that he will go before the others!

19 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Nash has always struck me as the kind of person that is just going to keel over as dead as a dodo without any warning or known health issues.

A few captions lined up ready when he does ....

10 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

He's well enough to be on a British tour in the next couple of weeks

Young - incidentally - turned in a lenghty set at Hyde Park last Friday as part of a European tour and played Like a Hurricane; a song he's been dotting sparsely into his sets in recent years.

In the spirit of Band on the Run and Sgt Pepper, someone (not me, obviously) should go through the 100 or so luminaries thanked for their inspiration on the back cover of Buffalo Springfield Again and see who's still standing, or sitting. 

I'll help out to start:

Robert Zimmerman - alive

Robert Johnson - dead 

I'm only kidding

13115485.jpg

Mainly dead but some notable survivors on that list without Googling those I don't know: Peter Noone, Ringo, Clapton, Donovan and Judy Collins all still with us

24 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Mainly dead but some notable survivors on that list without Googling those I don't know: Peter Noone, Ringo, Clapton, Donovan and Judy Collins all still with us

It's the kind of absurd project an OoO or a Canadian Paul would have lapped up. We must still have those types around, right? I'll never forget the satisfyingly pointless and Sisyphean effort I put into the Nobel Prize thread back in the day. That took years of therapy to deal with.

21 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Strangely enough, an unrecognised name on there caught my eye - Lisa Kindred - so I googled her and... she died last week.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/11/17/the-life-and-death-of-lisa-kindred-a-marin-blues-singer-with-a-big-voice-and-a-big-heart/

1 hour ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Strangely enough, an unrecognised name on there caught my eye - Lisa Kindred - so I googled her and... she died last week.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/11/17/the-life-and-death-of-lisa-kindred-a-marin-blues-singer-with-a-big-voice-and-a-big-heart/

Yeah, that's timing!

Anyone have her on the DDP?

Happy 75th Stephen Stills :birthday2:

Young's taking legal action against Donald Trump for use of his songs in Trump's campaign because he "cannot allow his music to be used as a ‘theme song’ for a divisive, un-American campaign of ignorance and hate.”

Looking at this there must be a serious Neil Young fan somewhere in that Trump campaign team. Rockin' in the Free World is an obvious crowd pleaser used by quite a few people and Young didn't complain - for example - when it turned up on the soundtrack of an anti-George W Bush - Farenheit 451. The other song Trump has used is - however - Devil's Sidewalk from the Greendale album. Pretty obscure and not exactly a widely recognized anthem. 

Link: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/neil-young-sues-donald-trump-173421912.html

I chose to watch some documentary (Remember My Name) about David Crosby yesterday as my in-flight movie.  Enjoyed it quite a bit.  Didn’t realise he’s 78!  Without going back to find it, can I safely assume the old discussion about bands with all members living past 70 started with CSNY?  It would seem a logical starting point. All gonna be 75 soon

(last time I said that, Jet Black of the Stranglers died weeks later, so expect Stills or Crosby to bite the dust by Halloween).

SC

12 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I chose to watch some documentary (Remember My Name) about David Crosby yesterday as my in-flight movie.  Enjoyed it quite a bit.  Didn’t realise he’s 78!  Without going back to find it, can I safely assume the old discussion about bands with all members living past 70 started with CSNY?  It would seem a logical starting point. All gonna be 75 soon

(last time I said that, Jet Black of the Stranglers died weeks later, so expect Stills or Crosby to bite the dust by Halloween).

SC

Aye Maryport and a few others have mentioned CSNY's on going breathing a fair few times. (The one that comes close being the original Black Sabbath quartet are all somehow still alive too.) Crosby's not in the best of health these days though - even by his standards - so I don't know how long that one will last.

PS Jet Black lives! But Dave Greenfield died of covid. Black also not in a good way either - had a massive stroke last year. Time is catching up on our great bands...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, msc said:

Aye Maryport and a few others have mentioned CSNY's on going breathing a fair few times. (The one that comes close being the original Black Sabbath quartet are all somehow still alive too.) Crosby's not in the best of health these days though - even by his standards - so I don't know how long that one will last.

PS Jet Black lives! But Dave Greenfield died of covid. Black also not in a good way either - had a massive stroke last year. Time is catching up on our great bands...

Yeah, and there aren't a raft of great bands coming up to replace them. 

I mean, all original Coldplays are still alive but who gives a fuck?

• Like 2

On 05/08/2020 at 10:23, msc said:

Ugh aye ‘twas Greenfield :facepalm:

A picture of Crosby, Stills and Nash - apparently!

119953754_3614213721943497_8444855707816

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

A picture of Crosby, Stills and Nash - apparently!

119953754_3614213721943497_8444855707816

Or, if you prefer

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Jung

119953764_3641064132579105_3461420973189

• Haha 1