Paul Bearer

Jacques Brel's Imitation Jelly Jewellery

Five Star! As in mortgage friendly, family-based soul group from the 80's!

Wow, that would be good.

220px-95354.jpg

Sadly I think you mean

. As in ex-Busted.

Waiting For Superman - known and loved by fans of the Flaming Lips for years has been covered, incredibly well, by Five Star!!

Damn. And there was me already imagining The Pasadenas' version of Gigantic and Sade doing Celebrity Skin.

Boffins away!! Pioneering electronic/tape music composer Tristram Cary has begun decomposing in Australia. As well as doing all that arty musique concrète stuff he wrote scores for Doctor Who, The Ladykillers (the original, of course) and Hammer horror films, and helped with the visual design of the first synth.

It's that time of the year again when I get mildly annoyed by the Mercury Music Prize nominations. Some crap R&B/pop (Estelle/Adele), dismal Steve Lamacq indie (Elbow/British Sea Power), has-been major leaguers (Radiohead/Percy Plant), token, probably non-existent jazz and folk (Portico Quartet/Laura Marling), 'cutting-edge' dance (Burial) and Scott Walker rip-off (bloke out of Arctic Monkeys).

And may I unthank Ms Rachel for appropriating the name of a fine, sadly-forgotten 1990s beat combo. Lawyers will be in touch.

Another year without recognition of your musical talents, eh Harry?

Still, try not to worry about it, at least you won't fall foul of the 'Curse of the Mercury Prize'

It's that time of the year again when I get mildly annoyed by the Mercury Music Prize nominations. Some crap R&B/pop (Estelle/Adele), dismal Steve Lamacq indie (Elbow/British Sea Power), has-been major leaguers (Radiohead/Percy Plant), token, probably non-existent jazz and folk (Portico Quartet/Laura Marling), would-be 'cutting-edge' dance (Burial) and lame Scott Walker rip-off (bloke out of Arctic Monkeys).

And may I unthank Ms Rachel for appropriating the name of a fine, sadly-forgotten 1990s beat combo. My lawyers will be in touch.

List time, I'm afraid.

Ten albums released in 2008 I've been partial to:

Glasvegas - S/T

Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours

Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely

Last Shadow Puppets - Age of the Understatement

Hercules & Love Affair - S/T

Paul Weller - 22 Dreams (surprisingly good for a knobhead)

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

Fleet Foxes - S/T

Vampire Weekend - S/T

TV on the Radio - Dear Science

Reissue: Nick Lowe - Jesus of Cool

Man, am I getting MOR in my dotage.

List time, I'm afraid.

Ten albums released in 2008 I've been partial to:

Glasvegas - S/T

Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours

Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely

Last Shadow Puppets - Age of the Understatement

Hercules & Love Affair - S/T

Paul Weller - 22 Dreams (surprisingly good for a knobhead)

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

Fleet Foxes - S/T

Vampire Weekend - S/T

TV on the Radio - Dear Science

Reissue: Nick Lowe - Jesus of Cool

Man, am I getting MOR in my dotage.

Must be, you've bought all the trendy albums....:mellow:

This Saturday is Record Store Day, so why not make a trip to your local indie for that David Axelrod Songs of Experience on 180g green vinyl you've been promising yourself. What do you mean, it closed down three years ago??

How many record shop assistants does it take to change a lightbulb?

Grunts...points vaguely towards Lightbulb section...carries on reading Gram Parsons bio...

37 Record-Store Clerks Feared Dead In Yo La Tengo Concert Disaster

ATHENS, GA—Thirty-seven record-store clerks are missing and feared dead in the aftermath of a partial roof collapse during a Yo La Tengo concert Monday.

"We're trying our best to rescue these clerks, but, realistically, there's not a lot of hope," said emergency worker Len Guzman, standing outside the 40 Watt Club, where the tragedy occurred. "These people are simply not in the physical condition to survive this sort of trauma. It's just a twisted mass of black-frame glasses and ironic Girl Scouts T-shirts in there."

Also believed to be among the missing are seven freelance rock critics, five vinyl junkies, two 'zine publishers, an art-school dropout, and a college-radio DJ.

The collapse occurred approximately 30 minutes into the Hoboken, NJ, band's set, when a poorly installed rooftop heating-and-cooling unit came loose and crashed through the roof, bringing several massive steel beams down with it.

Andy Ringler, an assistant manager at Wuxtry Records, sustained head trauma when he ran back into the building to rescue a fellow clerk.

"I just had to help," said Ringler, listed in stable condition at a nearby hospital. "I saw all these people coming out bleeding and dazed. I gave up my vintage Galaxie 500 shirt just to help some guy bandage his arm. It was horrible."

Added Ringler: "I just pray they can somehow get this club rebuilt in time for next month's Dismemberment Plan/Death Cab For Cutie show. That's a fantastic double bill."

Joe Gaer was among the lucky record-store clerks who escaped unscathed. "I was in the bathroom when it happened," said Gaer, a part-time cashier at School Kids Records. "There was this loud crashing sound, followed by even louder crashing, and then all these screams. If I hadn't left to take a leak during 'Moby Octopad'—to be honest, never one of my favorite songs on I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One—I'd probably be among the dead."

"It's just tragic," Gaer continued. "I heard they were going to play Daniel Johnston's 'Speeding Motorcycle.' They almost never do that one live."

Devastated by the disaster, Athens record-store owners are still holding out hope that their employees are still alive.

"All I can do is wait and pray they'll find them," said Bert's Discount Records owner Bert Halyard, who lost clerks Todd Fischer and Dan Harris in the collapse. "They were going to start an experimental/math-rock band together. Dan had a really nice Moog synthesizer and an original pressing of the first Squirrel Bait EP."

As of press time, police and emergency rescue workers were still sifting through the wreckage for copies of Magnet, heated debates over the definition of emo, and other signs of record-store-clerk life.

"I haven't seen this much senseless hipster carnage since the Great Sebadoh Fire Of '93," said rescue worker Larry Kolterman, finding a green-and-gold suede Puma sneaker in the rubble. "It's such a shame that all those bastions of indie-rock geekitude had to go in their prime. Their cries of 'sellout' have been forever silenced."

Former Raspberries singer Eric Carmen has been jailed for drink driving. I wonder if he'll be All By Himself in solitary, or if he'll have a cell mate who wants to Go All The Way with him.

Nice mugshot, Eric.

ericcarmenmug.jpg

Not sure I totally share the whinge but I thought the absence of Doves from this year's list was a serious lapse from the judges. Head judge Simon Frith does - however - admit to problems with his hearing. He's obit worthy, but the conidition isn't fatal.

Coupled with a The Lyke of Wych reunion and that's a real evenings entertainment.

Oh goody, time for my annual whinge about the current state of popular music. Actually, I've only heard one of these albums, but I'm sure they're all rubbish. Especially Kasabian.

Bring back Butt Nekkid, the Shitpips and Monolith - that's proper music is that.

In these uncertain times of war in Westminster and carnage on the cobbles, it's nice to see they've forgiven Junkie Jim for whipping it out in Miami all those years ago, if the offending chap was indeed whipped out.

It's about this time I usually rate my albums of the year... but does Liege and Lief or Penguin Eggs really count? :angry2:

And yes, who the hell is John Grant?

Ah well, maybe it really is all over.

Oh please Guest_Truth_*, you Dear Abby of New York, help me to get through this midlife crisis.

In these uncertain times of war in Westminster and carnage on the cobbles, it's nice to see they've forgiven Junkie Jim for whipping it out in Miami all those years ago, if the offending chap was indeed whipped out.

It's about this time I usually rate my albums of the year... but does Liege and Lief or Penguin Eggs really count? :angry2:

And yes, who the hell is John Grant?

Ah well, maybe it really is all over.

Oh please Guest_Truth_*, you Dear Abby of New York, help me to get through this midlife crisis.

Harry, my man at the turntable says what you need is Pitchfork. Yet to come up with a 2010 list but he (my man at the turntable) reliably informs me that five of last year's top 10 list were "real gems". He ventures The Suburbs by Arcade Fire as one of his albums of the year. Personally I'm rather fond of Seasick Steve, my cousin in the Boondocks.

Liege and Lief took me back to that teenage world of hurt. I never really got over lending out my copy of Court of the Crimson King and never getting it back. I wonder if others have lingering resentment for albums loaned and never returned? It wouldn't have mattered had it been Tubular Bells which I still have and only play these days to annoy the missus. Note to self: must play Tubular Bells tomorrow.

Totally fuckin' wasted and playin' my ultimate late nite red wine playlist :o

Tumblin Dice - some Richmond twats

Firecracker - Ryan Adams (wished he was Bob)

No Time - Whiteout (the Scottish Oasis that coulda bin)

Coffee in the Kitchen - Wanderlust (powerpop as it was wrote)

Outtasite - Wilco (Richmond twats a la Nellcôte)

Vegetable Row - Cotton Mather (Oasis's Beatles dream made flesh)

Hopeless Case of a Kid in Denial - Hellacopters (Swedes rawking like muthas)

Up Around the Bend - CCR (Bayou monsters)

Faded - Afghan Whigs (lighters aloft for the Stones that never were)

Movin On Up - Primal Scream (more E vicar?)

Achin' To Be - Replacements (fuck, it's the Best Band Ever)

When My Baby's Beside Me - Big Star (influenced the Best Band Ever)

Goin Back to Tucson - Supersuckers (comedy Stoner rock - fuck you!)

Metal Firecracker - Lucinda Williams (chicks rock too)

Round Eyes Blues - Marah (Brooce does Vietnam-Be My Baby)

Stay With Me - Faces (politically incorrect groupie chic)

Hangover/comedown playlist to follow. Any other drunk fave lists gratefully received.

Another bump? Don't mind if I do.

Edit: I should probably delete this demented drug-drivel :ninja:

Good call on the Big Star track HMBWA

Three currently on heavy rotation at MPFC FM:

Journey to the Inside - Ramases

And Your Bird Can Sing - The Beatles

Funny Bird - Mercury Rev

A nation rejoices as Polly Harvey, the boutique artist's boutique artist, trounces a few people who actually sell some records to win the Mercury Prize for the 23rd year running.

No skyscraper busting antics in celebration of her win unlike last time...

A nation rejoices as Polly Harvey, the boutique artist's boutique artist, trounces a few people who actually sell some records to win the Mercury Prize for the 23rd year running.

Bit harsh IMHO, she's bankable in the way Neil Young is bankable, always interesting, loyal fanbase, capable of going mega now and again with a highly rated album and everything in the catalogue has a "long tail." If Jedward walk CBB as expected, and announce a new album and tour, I'd still sign her over them and reckon it a better financial bet.

bankable, always interesting, loyal fanbase, capable of going mega now and again with a highly rated album and everything in the catalogue has a "long tail."

The very definition of boutique. She's OK to be honest. Life's too short to be listening to PJ Harvey albums, but in this case I'll try my best to make an exception.

Ten albums I've enjoyed from 2012:

Bill Fay - Life Is People

Beachwood Sparks - The Tarnished Gold

2 Bears - Be Strong

Gerry Love - Electric Cables

Allah-Las - S/T

Richard Hawley - Standing at the Sky's Edge

Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellan

Tame Impala - Lonerism

Dexys - One Day I'm Going to Soar

The xx - Coexist

Hmm, not much hip-hop or R&B there, sorry.

Rediscovered oldie of the year - Mickey Newbury box set

DJ of the year - that chap from Miskin Radio.

There's A Ghost In My House, R. Dean Taylor

In Between Days, The Cure

The Boys Of Summer, Don Henley

.... Oh dear, I can see a theme developing there