Paul Bearer

Jacques Brel's Imitation Jelly Jewellery

- not the famous and excellent studio version but live at Olympia, presumably many, many years later and still in the same key. Notice the appearance of George Melly's jacket about half way through. It's interesting to note that Charles Trenet also wore the hat!

Thanks for that Captain. I enjoyed that more than is probably healthy. I couldn't help noticing on my 6th or 7th viewing that at 1:16 he appears to do something like this.

- not the famous and excellent studio version but live at Olympia, presumably many, many years later and still in the same key. Notice the appearance of George Melly's jacket about half way through. It's interesting to note that Charles Trenet also wore the hat!

Thanks for that Captain. I enjoyed that more than is probably healthy. I couldn't help noticing on my 6th or 7th viewing that at 1:16 he appears to do something like this.

Don't forget to mention the eyes closed smile with showbiz hands swiftly after. Now that's what I call talent.

You are tempting fate there - someone will start the thread just to spite you. Probably on a day when you are really pressed for time but yet being a sucker for distractions flick through tens of pages in disbelief before being driven to desperation and becoming the first DLer to cark it.
I once read the entire Richard O'Sullivan thread in one afternoon to see what the fuss was all about.

The fact that I not only still live, but willingly visit this site, means I think I'll be able to take it. :D

I've tried to do the same, it took a lot longer than an afternoon and when finished I understood how police divers must feel when they have to look for some sort of evidence in an open drain.

On topic however, I was reminded this morning of what a great voice, and in my very limited view a candidate for best Rock voice ever, Chris Cornell of Audioslave and formerly Soundgarden has. I'm always quietly pleased when either of those bands is on the wireless.

My all time three are:

Let It Be - The Beatles

Kashmir - Led Zeppelin

Free Will - Rush

My all-time faves:

Hey Jude - The Beatles

Back for Good - Take That

The Air that I Breathe - The Hollies

Sheriff Fatman - Carter USM

White Riot - The Clash

Old Red Eyes is Back - The Beautiful South

Like A Hurricane - Neil Young

The Funny Bird - Mercury Rev

Nowhere Fast - The Smiths

Currently:

How to save a life - the fray

Grace Kelly - Mika

Open your eyes - Snow Patrol

Glad to see you are not fully embracing the French music scene.

Nowt wrong with the French music scene. Well, some of it anyway.

What's Renaud doing in London? Getting ready to sing 'Miss Maggie' when you-know-who carks it?

I must say I did rather like Les Bobos though - heard it a lot on the radio (living on the coast I can get the main French stations better most of the BBC ones - I favour RFM personally)

Ah, go on, favourites:

1. Echo Beach - Martha And The Muffins

2. Dear Prudence - Siouxsie And The Banshees (urinates over the Beatles original frankly)

3. Hanging On The Telephone - Blondie

What's Renaud doing in London? Getting ready to sing 'Miss Maggie' when you-know-who carks it?

According the Paris Match, 'The attraction of Britain was the pubs, the football, the rock music, the culture, the literature, the galleries, the exhibitions and the architecture'.

He appears to be under the impression that "there are no policemen on the streets of London because people are more civilised and more fraternal than in Paris". :P

I do agree with VT as a fellow RFM (and sometimes Europe 2) listener, that there is nothing wrong with the French music scene, in fact, the ttGs are currently considering going to see Renaud in Agen in a few weeks time. Also quite keen on Kyo amongst others.

He appears to be under the impression that "there are no policemen on the streets of London because people are more civilised and more fraternal than in Paris". :P

While I agree with his high opinion of London and low one of Paris, I think he may be in for a bit of a surprise. :crossbone:

According the Paris Match, 'The attraction of Britain was the pubs

I thought he was supposedly off the booze. Fallen off le wagon has he?

Been to a few concerts in France in my time (Alizée, Véronique Sanson, La Grande Sophie - who is one of the best people I have ever seen live) and French audiences tend to be a lot more age varied than over here - kids, grannies and everything in between. Am off to see the Kaiser Chiefs in Lille in May - ticket cost about €25 as opposed to £25 here and Lille is nearer and easier to get to than faffing around with bloody public transport to go to London.

Umm, what were we talking about again?

I suppose ordinarily for me the obvious choice would be three of these...
Who'd have thought it was possible to have so much of a groove on whilst having a snowball fight? :P

Plus for about half the megamix video Claude appears to have gatecrashed a Jane Fonda workout video shoot (that's being filmed in the middle of a pea-souper, gawd blimey guv'na etc.); back in the days when no self respecting lady would work out unless dressed like one of the kids from Fame, albeit in shinier material and bolder pastel colours.

You just can't buy that sort of class. :crossbone:

This song makes me smile and think.............

Had a brief search but couldn't find a specific thread to chat about music, particularly of the artier variety - if there is one please bung this in there, musical mods. Anyway, was just watching the Scott Walker doc on BBC - very interesting bloke, even though I'd rather listen to Metal Machine Music 24 hours a day than hear most of his later stuff just the once. Ignoramous though I most undoubtedly am. I expect a firm rebuttal from Anubis at any moment.

You are most definitely wrong, Harry. Just give 'Tilt' one more go for me. I couldn't listen to it for 9 months after I first heard it, then it all seemed to make sense.You can't compare the contract-fulfilling, Emperors New Clothes of Metal Machine Music to the harrowing majesty of 'Farmer in the City' 'The Drift' however, I'm still not sure of.

Good documentary though, despite being presented by Anal Botney and falling into the old trap of saying Scott didn't do anything of note between the failure of the self-penned Scott 4 and Nite Flights and losing the chronological narrative slightly when talking about his retreat to a monastery. Lovely meat-slapping I'm sure you'll agree.

You are most definitely wrong, Harry. Just give 'Tilt' one more go for me. I couldn't listen to it for 9 months after I first heard it, then it all seemed to make sense.You can't compare the contract-fulfilling, Emperors New Clothes of Metal Machine Music to the harrowing majesty of 'Farmer in the City' 'The Drift' however, I'm still not sure of.

Good documentary though, despite being presented by Anal Botney and falling into the old trap of saying Scott didn't do anything of note between the failure of the self-penned Scott 4 and Nite Flights and losing the chronological narrative slightly when talking about his retreat to a monastery. Lovely meat-slapping I'm sure you'll agree.

Coming at his music more from the contemporary classical rather than the pop side of the equation, I belive that "The Drift" is a masterpiece and that Walker managed to raise the bar again just as everyone else was catching up with "Tilt". However, I had to disagree with the comments about his Jacques Brel covers; good though they were, Brel could never have been bettered in that repertoire.

Yes, probably the finest example since Black Pudding Bertha stormed the charts back in '75

Pork punching thisaway Jolson and Jones

Funny you should mention Metal Machine Music, I'm just getting it off the shelf at the moment and taking to play at work tomorrow to some people who don't believe it exists.

I've always felt that to compare the great force of nature that is a tornado to a

freight train doesn't begin to do it justice.

Metal Machine Music. That's what it sounds like.

For those of you who value your eardrums too much to sample it, and are too busy to find

yourselves a good tornado, Metal Machine Music sounds (to me) like tons of cutlery falling

down a metal staircase.

I've always felt that to compare the great force of nature that is a tornado to a

For those of you who value your eardrums too much to sample it, and are too busy to find

yourselves a good tornado, Metal Machine Music sounds (to me) like tons of cutlery falling

down a metal staircase.

No matter, I always enjoyed playing MMM in a shop packed full of German tourists at Camden Market on a Sunday. Especially just before closing time.

down a metal staircase.

No matter, I always enjoyed playing MMM in a shop packed full of German tourists at Camden Market on a Sunday. Especially just before closing time.

Yeah that works. In fact, it would make an outstanding video. :(

MMM would lend itself to a truly inspired video. Just like a current fave video in MPFC Towers.

by Napalm Death.