Townie1488

Leslie Phillips

On 06/10/2020 at 09:31, msc said:

We all know that when Leslie Philips dies, every deadpool will be in a rush to be the first to use "Ding Dead" as their headline.

Or they could just go with Ding Dong Leslie Philips is dead. That's maybe not the cleverest headline ever though...

• Facepalm 2

43 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

One for all the HP fans

Hats That

Hats off for Leslie

He's got 10 hours...

Edited by Elephant
wrong time
  • Haha 1

On 08/10/2020 at 12:00, Lafaucheuse said:

Hats off for Leslie

That has to be used for his obit

• Like 2

Pretty astonished that he is still going as the last thing I saw him in was in a celebrities remembering VE Day thing the BBC did in 2015; he looked and sounded like he was not too good to put it mildly. But 6 years on... 

It reminds me of watching Kirk Douglas receive his honorary Oscar in 1996, just after his stroke, and thinking "well, he wont be around much longer.". The guy went on to live another 24 years.

On 20/04/2020 at 01:43, msc said:

Its nearly a decade since his wife killed herself and all the talk at the time was this could finish off Leslie as he "was in very frail health"...

Well today it is a decade since his wife killed herself, and he is still alive and just 9 days shy to his 97th birthday. Never thought he would last so long.

15 hours ago, Putin said:

Well today it is a decade since his wife killed herself, and he is still alive and just 9 days shy to his 97th birthday. Never thought he would last so long.

It's remarkable as he looked quite old when he was in his 60s. He's quite doddery in the 1989 film Scandal for example and that's over 32 years old. I sadly don't see him lasting much longer. 

• Like 1

I keep thinking about how astonishing it is that Leslie Phillips is still alive

• Like 6

I'll be voting for him in the "Next death of" polls until he sees me off by the looks of it.

• Haha 1

Seems we all missed his 98th birthday yesterday.

I thought I posted then but I must have been signed out, or summat. 

30 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Seems we all missed his 98th birthday yesterday.

I thought I posted then but I must have been signed out, or summat. 

It's where it should be - the Happy Birthday thread.

Fair enough, but don't recall that applied to people in the main list before. Guess it must be a policy change as it was always one of two ways that they had their thread bumped - they'd either got a year older, or died. 

How long is it since the last time we heard anything  about him? Excluding the same 2007 The Oldie interview Alice Pitman publishes again every year on the 20th of April after changing Phillips' age.

2016? 

3 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Fair enough, but don't recall that applied to people in the main list before. Guess it must be a policy change as it was always one of two ways that they had their thread bumped - they'd either got a year older, or died. 

That's exactly why the birthday thread was started - because it always excites interest when the thread is bumped.  Finding that it's just a birthday and not news is a let-down, so a thread was created for birthdays. 

• Like 2

Nah, I think for main list picks it's alright to have them bumped randomly once a year. I get the potential for disappointment, but for some of the more obscure names, especially to non-UK readers like me, it's always nice to be reminded they exist.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, arghton said:

How long is it since the last time we heard anything  about him? Excluding the same 2007 The Oldie interview Alice Pitman publishes again every year on the 20th of April after changing Phillips' age.

2016? 

It feels like he hasn't been seen in action since 1485. I genuinely have no idea how he is still going. Apparently this photo of him is from 1978. He looked old then. 

FQxHIw5WQAo6R2H.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, arghton said:

2016? 

Yep August 2016 last we had any news.

Last photo from that time.

PAY-Leslie-Phillips.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Sean said:

PAY-Leslie-Phillips.jpg

Is it known if he receives  care at home or is in a care or nursing home now?

1 hour ago, Deathrace said:

It feels like he hasn't been seen in action since 1485. I genuinely have no idea how he is still going. Apparently this photo of him is from 1978. He looked old then. 

FQxHIw5WQAo6R2H.jpeg.jpg

He doesn't look bad for 53 or 54, as he was then.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Is it known if he receives  care at home or is in a care or nursing home now?

Don't think we know.Probably in Denville or Brinsworth.

• Thanks 1

On 22/04/2022 at 21:57, Sean said:

PAY-Leslie-Phillips.jpg

Sorry to bump this thread again, but I have to say this was actually not his most recent public appearance.

He posed for some photos on the 16th of September 2017, before the Tottenham Hotspur v Swansea City Premier League match at Wembley Stadium:

lesliep__01.thumb.jpg.abcc30be4e8bb1b271d8792a1a080f66.jpg

leslie2.thumb.jpg.aa7d91baf5775047b5fd0130449777ee.jpg

However seemingly this wasn't in any news articles and I could only find one high quality picture of him at that event, that first one. As far as I know he hasn't made any appearances since. It's been nearly 5 years. Immortal with a capital I.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, arghton said:

Sorry to bump this thread again, but I have to say this was actually not his most recent public appearance.

He posed for some photos on the 16th of September 2017, before the Tottenham Hotspur v Swansea City Premier League match at Wembley Stadium:

lesliep__01.thumb.jpg.abcc30be4e8bb1b271d8792a1a080f66.jpg

leslie2.thumb.jpg.aa7d91baf5775047b5fd0130449777ee.jpg

However seemingly this wasn't in any news articles and I could only find one high quality picture of him at that event, that first one. As far as I know he hasn't made any appearances since. It's been nearly 5 years. Immortal with a capital I.

Fuckin' hell, Swansea were in the Premier League, easy to forget these things, eh?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2