Townie1488

Leslie Phillips

2 hours ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

To be fair, Captain Tom was alive and a celeb for less than a year and his advanced age was a big part of why.

That’s Why I always considered his inclusion as questionnable 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Well you didn't say that in your post. We can't read your mind.

Dim by name, dim by...

Butthurt.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Dim by name, dim by...

:clap::clap::clap::D

5 hours ago, Deathrace said:

Phillips's death also confirms my belief that no well known UK male celebrities ever live to be over 100 unless Bob Hope is counted as British. Will Attenborough break that? 

Sir Nicholas Winton?

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Dim by name, dim by...

Apologies. To me the whole point of the deathlist is about big name public figures and celebrities. Not anyone who has a wikipedia page. I'll be more mindful in the future.

9 minutes ago, John "요한" Sulu said:

He actually just passed away a couple of days ago.

Really? Never would’ve guessed that

17 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

_117847379_capt_tom.jpg.71a0a38020f2f75a347310b52b917d58.jpg

Yes, but my point is he was only known for being old. If he had died aged 98 we'd have never heard of him. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Douglas Slocombe

Not really a household name. Denning and Winton more so but as wonderful people as they were they are hardly comparable to the likes of Bob Hope, George Burns and Kirk Douglas. 

In terms of popular culture, William Russell would be more notable but he's probably not going to make 100 sadly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deathrace said:

Not really a household name. Denning and Winton more so but as wonderful people as they were they are hardly comparable to the likes of Bob Hope, George Burns and Kirk Douglas. 

If that kind of fame is the measure, then really very few British female celebrities count too. I don’t think it’s much of an anomaly. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

If that kind of fame is the measure, then really very few British female celebrities count too. I don’t think it’s much of an anomaly. 

Yeah well known to DLy to A list is moving the goalposts rather!

2 hours ago, Deathrace said:

The names Bob Hope, George Burns and Kirk Douglas don't mean much to most British alive today. At a push, maybe Douglas does more than the former two – purely because of his lead role in Spartacus. Name drop Hope or Burns to most folk under 40 they'll just shrug.

Dame Vera Lynn and Captain Tom Moore are household names here and they have that name drop recognition across all age groups. Dame Olivia de Havilland also carries more fame than Burns, Hope and Douglas because Gone with the Wind is on the curriculum in most schools here. More ppl have seen Gone with the Wind because of its historical significance than Spartacus.

Fame is entirely subjective but I think you're looking at this through a US-centric and perhaps generationally skewed lens. 

To be fair, I don't think what those names mean to British people today is relevant. I think it's about what they meant to Americans when they turned 100, and whether Britain has had its own equivalents.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Vera Lynn and the Queen Mother definitely qualify. Olivia de Havilland if you are counting her as British as well. 

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The names Bob Hope, George Burns and Kirk Douglas don't mean much to most British alive today. At a push, maybe Douglas does more than the former two – purely because of his lead role in Spartacus. Name drop Hope or Burns to most folk under 40 they'll just shrug.

Dame Vera Lynn and Captain Tom Moore are household names here and they have that name drop recognition across all age groups. Dame Olivia de Havilland also carries more fame than Burns, Hope and Douglas because Gone with the Wind is on the curriculum in most schools here. More ppl have seen Gone with the Wind because of its historical significance than Spartacus.

Fame is entirely subjective but I think you're looking at this through a US-centric and perhaps generationally skewed lens. 

I'm British so not looking this through a US lense. 

2 hours ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

To be fair, I don't think what those names mean to British people today is relevant. I think it's about what they meant to Americans when they turned 100, and whether Britain has had its own equivalents.

Exactly and my point is it doesn't 

I remember when Hope turned 100, the BBC did a special tribute programme hosted by Bob Monkhouse who was himself dead a few months later. Hope was a massive name in his time as was Kirk Douglas. The likes of Douglas Slocombe doesn't compare to their fame and Captain Tom was only famous because he lived to be very old. 

• Like 2