Townie1488

Leslie Phillips

It's been almost a week now since Phillips was admitted to hospital and there doesn't seem to be any word on his condition. Has anyone heard anything?

uncionfirmed rumours are saying he's in his final days. cant say how accurate they are though

What exactly is the difference between a confirmed rumour and an unconfirmed rumour?!

'un'.

And yes, I was just getting my coat.

PS. Similarly why do "I couldn't care less" and "I could care less" mean much the same thing despite on the face of it being antonyms?

They don't mean the same, the person saying them believes that they do.

Saying "I could care less" means simply that, there is something that you have fewer feelings about.

"I couldn't care less" means you have reached the limit of empathy.

• Like 1

Oh my English comprehension is enough for that, not much more perhaps, but enough so far.

The trouble comes when a large majority of people start to believe such and it becomes common parlance.

Personally I blame the yanks, and that's allowing that I'm vaguely aware that you are one, or at any rate live thereabouts ;).

Oh my English comprehension is enough for that, not much more perhaps, but enough so far.

The trouble comes when a large majority of people start to believe such and it becomes common parlance.

Personally I blame the yanks, and that's allowing that I'm vaguely aware that you are one, or at any rate live thereabouts ;).

I live in the U.S., however I spent the first 33 years of my life in England.

There are several expressions that bug me here. One of which is when someone says "I'm going to visit with ..." when in reality the person they mentioned is going to their house and they are hosting.

I've tried to explain to them that you are not the visitor if it's your own house.

• Like 1

Don't start me off.

Aks, for ask? What's that all about? "I aksed him to visit with me...."

"I'm loving it", instead of "I love it" (thanks Ronald). Further transposed to "I'm liking/hating..." etc. etc.

Even Skyrim (which I'm revisiting lately) "Bring the sword of doom to FarnesBarnes".. It's "take", take it, bloody "Take it to FarnesBarnes" not "Bring it to". Gah.

To get this back on topic(ish) they could learn from Mr Philips amongst others.

Don't start me off.

"I'm loving it", instead of "I love it" (thanks Ronald). Further transposed to "I'm liking/hating..." etc. etc.

Even Skyrim (which I'm revisiting lately) "Bring the sword of doom to FarnesBarnes".. It's "take", take it, bloody "Take it to FarnesBarnes" not "Bring it to". Gah.

To get this back on topic(ish) they could learn from Mr Philips amongst others.

This should be moved to 101 as there are plenty that I could add to this list. Especially "I seen it" instead of "I saw it".

• Like 1

I guess the lack of new info might mean that he and his family wanted to protect his privacy and/or that his condition was stable.

Don't start me off.

The phenomenon is called metathesis, and might be responsible for a historical sound change. In this case, although nowadays "aks" is considered to be non-standard (dialectal), it has a long history that predates the birth of Modern English. Geoffrey Chaucer and many older texts has used the "ax" variant instead of ask (asc)... Edited by GossipGabe
  • Like 2

I guess the lack of new info might mean that he and his family wanted to protect his privacy and/or that his condition was stable.

Don't start me off.

The phenomenon is called metathesis, and might be responsible for a historical sound change. In this case, although nowadays "aks" is considered to be non-standard (dialectal), it has a long history that predates the birth of Modern English. Geoffrey Chaucer and many older texts has used the "ax" variant instead of ask (asc)...

Didn't Leslie Phillips work with Geoffrey Chaucer?

Forgot that Leslie Phillips was in this video (1.30-1.45) from the Comic Strip film GLC.

Who would have predicted Rik Mayall would go before Leslie Phillips?

Yes this is very tenuous but any excuse to link to that song. The sheer knowing overblown excess is such a joy.

Guest Guest

Interesting video. Leslie Philips is depicting real life Conservative politician Sir Horace Cutler who was head of the GLC. Leslie is a Conservative in real life. I know this as I have met him at Party fundraisers.

Guest Guest

Sadly Leslie is very frail and not expected to last too much longer. :(

No shit Sherlock!

91 today :birthday::birthday2::party:

Aye, but given the recent problems, 92 might be a performance he won't pull off.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05tr0py/ve-day-70-1-remembering-victory-Appears in this BBC documentary marking 70th anniversairy of VE-Day.He still is very sharp but sounds very frail now.He also looks disheveled and has lost that mischievous look in his eyes that he has always had.A shadow of his former self.Not a shock to see him like this after recent reports but still sad to see.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05tr0py/ve-day-70-1-remembering-victory-Appears in this BBC documentary marking 70th anniversairy of D-Day.He still is very sharp but sounds very frail now.He also looks disheveled and has lost that mischievous look in his eyes that he has always had.A shadow of his former self.Not a shock to see him like this after recent reports but still sad to see.

Seeing that reminds me of how Terry-Thomas looked towards the end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRWiO_J-8ok

Don't start me off.

The phenomenon is called metathesis, and might be responsible for a historical sound change. In this case, although nowadays "aks" is considered to be non-standard (dialectal), it has a long history that predates the birth of Modern English. Geoffrey Chaucer and many older texts has used the "ax" variant instead of ask (asc)...

There still isnt much at all...most recent articles are from Jan

Aye, but given the recent problems, 92 might be a performance he won't pull off.

He's got seven weeks to go 'til his 92nd. Still hanging on in there. Ding-dong !

92 Today! :birthday::party::birthday2:

• Like 1

92 Today! :birthday::party::birthday2:

Yes - many happy returns Leslie!

Shaun - do you think he may go this year? I think he'll see 2017 to be honest.

There hasn't be a hit for over a month though since Cliff on March 17th. I think Havelange is next..

Well he was in pretty bad shape in his last interview and has had a couple of medical emergencies but has been quiet for nearly a year.I would say there is a good chance he will go this year or next but I hope not as I like his work a lot.

Guest Guest

sadly I fear that Leslie will not be with us for very much longer.he's not in very good shape at all I'm afraid. he will sadly be a hit this year or next if he's still on the list. probably this year

sadly I fear that Leslie will not be with us for very much longer.he's not in very good shape at all I'm afraid. he will sadly be a hit this year or next if he's still on the list. probably this year

Remind us, how many doors down the road from Ding Dong Leslie do you live?

Leslie makes rare appearance in public these days.

Really badly written article, but there is a picture.

Leslie makes rare appearance in public these days.

Really badly written article, but there is a picture.

I must say I'm surprised to see him make an appearance again after all this time.I had assumed we would never see him again and that he was probably at deaths door.Maybe should take him off next years list judging by that pic!