Jump to content
Townie1488

Leslie Phillips

Recommended Posts

He's been clinging on for a few years now so this was inevitable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RIP Leslie. He lingered on for so long that it's hard to believe he's actually dead.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloody hell was shocked just now when I saw it, thought he would linger on forever, RIP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. Rest in Peace Leslie. Brilliant timing from me again, was just this morning remarking on how he was still alive. Happened with Sidney Poitier and Amou Haji too. 

 

So, you know Michael Gove... 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/09/2022 at 14:47, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

I really hope he makes it to 99, at least. I’m always heartened to think of him still about. Had no idea about him still living in his house until the pandemic! 

Ah bugger! 
 

He’s one of my favourites. Passing of an age.
 

How did people know? Of course I know he could’ve dropped at any minute over the last ten years but I swear I saw more people predicting he had a matter of weeks recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Youth in Asia said:

I like this from the Daily Mail's write of his death:

He is believed to be the only actor still alive who performed at Pinewood Studios in its first week after opening in 1936.

I’ve seen this bandied around because it used to be on Wikipedia but I don’t think it’s true. He appeared his first film in 1938, and in his autobiography he writes that when Pinewood celebrated its 70th anniversary in 2006, he was the only person at the celebration that had worked there in the 1930s. I think at some point this turned into him being there in its first week, though I might be wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With a final Ding Dong, farewell to a legend.  :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the last surviving main regular, I was wondering if Jim Dale might be allowed his own thread outside of the Carry On one? I'll admit it'll likely not be an action-packed one.

 

For the record, I think his performance in Cowboy was a masterpiece of comic acting and slapstick, with the pathos/bathos unable to be replicated by the likes of Dicky O'Callaghan as a 'romantic lead'. There, I said it.

 

And he wrote the lyrics to Georgy Girl and had a #2 UK hit as well.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saved my shadow list from being my equal worst performance ever.

 

Thanks Leslie, you old slag!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 Harry Potter actors in less than a month

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

As the last surviving main regular, I was wondering if Jim Dale might be allowed his own thread outside of the Carry On one? I'll admit it'll likely not be an action-packed one.

 

For the record, I think his performance in Cowboy was a masterpiece of comic acting and slapstick, with the pathos/bathos unable to be replicated by the likes of Dicky O'Callaghan as a 'romantic lead'. There, I said it.

 

And he wrote the lyrics to Georgy Girl and had a #2 UK hit as well.

His #2 is pretty good - the first “rock and roll” hit for one George Martin. If he gets anywhere near Leslie’s innings, he’s absolutely gonna turn out to be the last of an age - a Carry On main cast member, an early British rock and roll star and a one-time juvenile music hall comedian. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

As the last surviving main regular, I was wondering if Jim Dale might be allowed his own thread outside of the Carry On one? I'll admit it'll likely not be an action-packed one.

 

For the record, I think his performance in Cowboy was a masterpiece of comic acting and slapstick, with the pathos/bathos unable to be replicated by the likes of Dicky O'Callaghan as a 'romantic lead'. There, I said it.

 

And he wrote the lyrics to Georgy Girl and had a #2 UK hit as well.

On the downside, he also wrote the lyrics to Dick-a-dum-dum.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leslie Phillips might be dead now,

But tomorrow he will be alive and well again as always.

Probably just taking a nap.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/11/2022 at 16:13, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

As the last surviving main regular, I was wondering if Jim Dale might be allowed his own thread outside of the Carry On one? I'll admit it'll likely not be an action-packed one.

 

 

 

I reckon the time might be fast approaching for a Jim Dale vs Ian Lavender thread. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It just hit me that as of 2022, Phillips and the Queen were the last living British public figures associated with the WW2 war effort. One could argue David Attenborough is of the same generation, but he didn't serve or volunteer during the war. 

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dimreaper said:

It just hit me that as of 2022, Phillips and the Queen were the last living British public figures associated with the WW2 war effort. One could argue David Attenborough is of the same generation, but he didn't serve or volunteer during the war. 


William Russell 

Sir Paul Fox

Nadia Cattouse 

Sir Patrick Duffy

  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phillips's death also confirms my belief that no well known UK male celebrities ever live to be over 100 unless Bob Hope is counted as British. Will Attenborough break that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Phillips's death also confirms my belief that no well known UK male celebrities ever live to be over 100 unless Bob Hope is counted as British. Will Attenborough break that? 


_117847379_capt_tom.jpg.71a0a38020f2f75a347310b52b917d58.jpg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, Captain Tom was alive and a celeb for less than a year and his advanced age was a big part of why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:


William Russell 

Sir Paul Fox

Nadia Cattouse 

Sir Patrick Duffy

I meant figures well known enough to warrant there own thread. Of these four, only William Russell has a thread, but even he has never had a spot on the official list.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dimreaper said:

I meant figures well known enough to warrant there own thread. Of these four, only William Russell has a thread, but even he has never had a spot on the official list.


Well you didn't say that in your post. We can't read your mind.

Dim by name, dim by...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use