Teddy

Clive Dunn

Does anyone not have Dunny on google alert? I mean, imagine the kudos of being the first to report the Death of All Deaths (assuming he's not immortal, of course) - it'd be like being Neil Armstrong or Tenzing Norgay Edmund Hillary. Then there's the Russian roulette of actually being online when the news comes through, or having your phone close to hand. Then you might get a huge dose of nerves affecting your typing fingers as you picture the horror of Guest Arsehole beating you to the punch. And after all that, it might just be a Fidelesque hoax.

Really, it's just not worth it.

Does anyone not have Dunny on google alert? I mean, imagine the kudos of being the first to report the Death of All Deaths (assuming he's not immortal, of course) - it'd be like being Neil Armstrong or Tenzing Norgay Edmund Hillary. Then there's the Russian roulette of actually being online when the news comes through, or having your phone close to hand. Then you might get a huge dose of nerves affecting your typing fingers as you picture the horror of Guest Arsehole beating you to the punch. And after all that, it might just be a Fidelesque hoax.

Really, it's just not worth it.

Perhaps....in the real world, some people have bbc.co.uk as their homepage. And sometimes, when people logon to their homepage, they sometimes read what's in front of them.

I detest the word "google"...it's lazy! Despite my great age (mainly in IT), I have NEVER "googled" in my life. I'm a plain-ol' Altavista boy.

Before you throw your inconsequence in my direction, please read ANY of my previous messages. I'm generally the last one to know what's happening (I'm dreading this last statement opening up subsequent replies... :birthday: )

Obviously, it is Dad's Army weekend this weekend on the bee bee cee, and last night they had the first of two special evenings dedicated to the programme.

Last night's "The Dad's Army Story" was filmed eight years ago & Dunny looked just fine - Bill Pertwee looked near death then as well! Tonight is the more up to date version of how they are now.

But interesting that Dunny was a POW during WW2 & suffered terribly at the hands of the Germans & saw Jack Jones as his way of getting his own back. God Bless him. In watching the shows last night, he was still the funniest of the lot, especially when Mrs Fox said "They've stamped my name on the bottom" and Dunny looks at her arse. No words, no overt actions, just sheer genius...

I also never realised James Beck was only 39 when he died (thought he was late 40's) & that Arnold Ridley & John Laurie fought in WW1 at the Battle of the Somme.

Tonight should be good viewing too.

Obviously, it is Dad's Army weekend this weekend on the bee bee cee, and last night they had the first of two special evenings dedicated to the programme.

Last night's "The Dad's Army Story" was filmed eight years ago & Dunny looked just fine - Bill Pertwee looked near death then as well! Tonight is the more up to date version of how they are now.

But interesting that Dunny was a POW during WW2 & suffered terribly at the hands of the Germans & saw Jack Jones as his way of getting his own back. God Bless him. In watching the shows last night, he was still the funniest of the lot, especially when Mrs Fox said "They've stamped my name on the bottom" and Dunny looks at her arse. No words, no overt actions, just sheer genius...

I also never realised James Beck was only 39 when he died (thought he was late 40's) & that Arnold Ridley & John Laurie fought in WW1 at the Battle of the Somme.

Tonight should be good viewing too.

According to Wikipedia, he was 44 when he died in 1973. Still young though...

Not sure if anyone's posted

yet. Sad to have a childhood memory ruined by the cold hard truth.

I was wondering why we don't get ranter fire on the Sir Clive thread, considering the DL's always near the top of Dunny google searches, until I realised that only members are allowed to post in a thread started by a guest (cf Moore, Taylor etc) and Jonesy's thread is one of these. Is there no way of changing this? I'm sure plenty of Dunn-knowledgeable types would offer nuggets of info/have a good whinge if they had the chance yet weren't forced to join.

Out of the top 50, quite a few make the 'DL google top 10' (as it were) including Biggs, Lom, Foot and Stubbs. Yet none of these threads get any guest traffic whatsoever. Anyone know why this might be? Can it only be because they can't be arsed to type in a code that they didn't have to back in the day, when (real) guests posted often?

Yes, I was/am bored.

There goes another one. Good spot!

Good Spot? :blink: Not really, Canadian Paul noticed it over a month ago & I updated DDP a few days later - check the sitcom thread.

Of course, Wendy Richard is the latest to be hit by the Dad's Army curse. She'll probably be dead before Dunny. Hell, I'll be dead before Dunny!

There goes another one. Good spot!

Good Spot? :blink: Not really, Canadian Paul noticed it over a month ago & I updated DDP a few days later - check the sitcom thread.

Of course, Wendy Richard is the latest to be hit by the Dad's Army curse. She'll probably be dead before Dunny. Hell, I'll be dead before Dunny!

We'll all be dead before Dunny...

That's the second time I've been caught out by a late obit in a month. The deaths have dried up haven't they?

The randy old goat's still up for a bit with Mrs Fox.

He greeted fellow actors with warm hugs and was fit enough to joke and even the (sic) flirt with actress Pamela Cundell

The randy old goat's still up for a bit with Mrs Fox.

He greeted fellow actors with warm hugs and was fit enough to joke and even the (sic) flirt with actress Pamela Cundell

That "Gazette - the daily paper for Colchester and north Essex" is some read.

That "Gazette - the daily paper for Colchester and north Essex" is some read.

That was ironic....or you really are from the remote westlands. :D

Dunn & Co. (slight return)

Edit: just watched it. Superb, as ever.

The BBC's wiping of tapes really was a terrible act of cultural vandalism.

Happy 89th birthday, Mr Dunn. One more tiny step on the road of eternal life. :ph34r:

On the day of my fifth or sixth fourth anniversary I will bring my attention to .. the man himself.

It was circa November 1986 when Cary Grant's death hit the papers and the news shook a small bar in London which ultimately brought the unique concept of modern death listing to life. A young Grim Reaper sat beside his peers that night and generated a very interesting (yet improbable) group of celebrities who's spotlight has long gone dark. Although there is one man who still stands in his spot light. Specifically one man who still has a place on this list in it's twenty-second year in existence. Some people may only know him as the Lance-Corporal Jack Jones. However I know this man to be the immortal one. The man with the most legendary status in DL history.

But the cold-hard-fact remains that immortality isn't real. Immortality itself doesn't exist in this world and one day .. Clive Dunn's spot light will go dark. One day Clive Dunn's obituary will arrive and it will come just when we aren't looking. I can honestly say that after all Clive has meant to this place, and after all I have given, I would give a day of my life to be the one to quietly .. break the news.

It gives you chills.

On the day of my fifth or sixth fourth anniversary I will bring my attention to .. the man himself.

It was circa November 1986 when Cary Grant's death hit the papers and the news shook a small bar in London which ultimately brought the unique concept of modern death listing to life. A young Grim Reaper sat beside his peers that night and generated a very interesting (yet improbable) group of celebrities who's spotlight has long gone dark. Although there is one man who is still stands in his spot light. Specifically one man who still has a place on this list in it's twenty-second year in existence. Some people may only know him as the Lance-Corporal Jack Jones. However I know this man to be the immortal one. The man with the most legendary status in DL history.

But the cold-hard-fact remains that immortality isn't real. Immortality itself doesn't exist in this world and one day .. Clive Dunn's spot light will go dark. One day Clive Dunn's obituary will arrive and it will come just when we aren't looking. I can honestly say that after all Clive has meant to this place, and after all I have given, I would give a day of my life to be the one to quietly .. break the news.

It gives you chills.

If confirmation of the quasi-mystical connection between Dunny and the DL were needed, just google the old boy. Despite only the occasional mention hereabouts these days, he's still third after wiki and IMDB, luring the unwary in our direction.

Oh, and the bar was on the outskirts of Coventry. The London adventure had yet to begin.

Glad to see he gets props on Easter. The Grim Reaper is undefeated and is always doing pushups in the corner, but Clive has held him at bay. God bless!!!

But the cold-hard-fact remains that immortality isn't real. Immortality itself doesn't exist in this world

Immortality was only proved not to be real as far as I'm concerned when the Queen Mum, Gawd Bless 'er, carked it.

Clive Dunn may still buck the trend. Wouldn't put it past him...

According to his wiki page, Clive and Priscilla celebrate their golden wedding anniversary this month. I guess they are the immortal couple.

Who is still left from Dad's Army apart from Dunn?

I'm sure Ian Lavender is still about?

Today marks the first snow fall of the year and it seems like autumn hasn't even been given a chance. I hear it's going to be cold in Portugal, colder than one can bear. The fireplaces will be growing dim and the temperatures are going to be grim. I know that you know something that we do not, Clive. People have called you Jack Jones, they call you Granddad. They say that your forever, yeah, they say that your forever. So, after all the long hard winters that you've been through, I've decided that you must finally wrap yourself with the snugly to survive. Yes, it's $39.99 dollar value and it can be yours at that price guaranteed. Yes, I know it was a cheap and unimaginative gimmick which was poorly executed. What was that Clive? I'm out of my what? Oh, so you want me to return in the month of November. I don't know about that Clive, where there ain't no love there ain't no magic. What? I've made a deal with death? To death till I die? Well, I thought the Breakfast Hour thread might be original. I don't know Clive, first it was your eyes that went. Alright Clive, I'll think about it. But you take care of yourself, Clive.

Maybe you have some of those long hard winters left in you.

Today marks the first snow fall of the year and it seems like autumn hasn't even been given a chance. I hear it's going to be cold in Portugal, colder than one can bear. The fireplaces will be growing dim and the temperatures are going to be grim. I know that you know something that we do not, Clive. People have called you Jack Jones, they call you Granddad. They say that your forever, yeah, they say that your forever. So, after all the long hard winters that you've been through, I've decided that you must finally wrap yourself with the snugly to survive. Yes, it's $39.99 dollar value and it can be yours at that price guaranteed. Yes, I know it was a cheap and unimaginative gimmick which was poorly executed. What was that Clive? I'm out of my what? Oh, so you want me to return in the month of November. I don't know about that Clive, where there ain't no love there ain't no magic. What? I've made a deal with death? To death till I die? Well, I thought the Breakfast Hour thread might be original. I don't know Clive, first it was your eyes that went. Alright Clive, I'll think about it. But you take care of yourself, Clive.

Maybe you have some of those long hard winters left in you.

Ah Banshees, we've been expecting you.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: If you are not him/her, your drivel is of equal standing.