Teddy

Clive Dunn

Guest asxz

Ernest Borgnine - baruch dayan emet.

Can't believe you left him off the list this year.

I always assumed the number 50 spot would be handed to Ian Lavender when Dunn dies.

I am not British, and had no clue who Clive Dunn was before coming on to this forum, but can someone explain to me why he was selected for the DeathList all the way back in '87 and why he became such a cultish selection?

I always assumed the number 50 spot would be handed to Ian Lavender when Dunn dies.

.....or Bill Pertwee.

• Like 1

I am not British, and had no clue who Clive Dunn was before coming on to this forum, but can someone explain to me why he was selected for the DeathList all the way back in '87 and why he became such a cultish selection?

basically his entire claim to fame and his act (prior to the death list) was that he played charictors much older than his actual age, in his late fourties and early fifties he played an aged home gaurd corpral in "dads army" who was suposedly in his '70s, on the strength of this he had a No1 hit record titled "Grandad" but even prior to this his "comerdy" act was based on playing a doddery old man. . . . hence to all of those us now in their late 40s and 50s he has always been old in the sense of about to drop dead through old age. . . If it is your perception from early age that someone is old and has been for the best part of your life (50 years or so) they do seem a little imortal don't you think?

Best regards

Syd

basically his entire claim to fame and his act (prior to the death list) was that he played charictors much older than his actual age, in his late fourties and early fifties he played an aged home gaurd corpral in "dads army" who was suposedly in his '70s, on the strength of this he had a No1 hit record titled "Grandad" but even prior to this his "comerdy" act was based on playing a doddery old man. . . . hence to all of those us now in their late 40s and 50s he has always been old in the sense of about to drop dead through old age. . . If it is your perception from early age that someone is old and has been for the best part of your life (50 years or so) they do seem a little imortal don't you think?

Best regards

Syd

Thank you, Syd, for that illuminating piece of DeathList history. Now I have some semblance of a clue as to what's going on.

Lol I love how much of a cult figure he is on here. He was always my favourite in Dad's Army. "They don't like it up 'em sir. No sir, they do not like it up 'em" :D

Guest j

I think he's gone...

Guest Joe

These lists won't be the same without him... RIP

Guest Notts

2nd to post, darn. BBC reporting it now. So long, DL favourite

Guest Steve HS

RIP Clive Dunn...

He wasn't on my shadow list!

You bastards said he was immortal! :angry:

• Like 1

25 years ago I had a dream...

and finally it has come true

Phew!

• Like 3

Guest Jimbo

I will always remember Clive for his longest running role as Deathlist favourite. Maybe not what he would have wanted but a better legacy than Jimmy Savile.

A dark day for Dunny and a dark day for Deathlist.

I don't know about that, we've never been so popular. 137 guests on-line, 82 guests reading this topic.

And end of an era, to be sure.

Hopefully this will make the obit writer off his ass on the Lom and Martin obits.

Guest stuffandjunk

Suppose many people's first thought was, like mine, of Deathlist. Got a 'resource limit is reached error' first few times I tried to check the site. Surely DL must get a mention in the obits?