Guest JamesG

Shane MacGowan

The headline reference refers to Shawn Ryder - former frontman/singer of those baggy Mancunian band "The Happy Mondays".  The headline would of course be..."Happy Monday" :D

Get your popart Sean Ryder T-shirts before he pops his clogs!

Only kidding!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sean-Ryder-Happy-Mon...bayphotohosting

Sean Ryder is to popular music,

what Mozart is to Nanotechnology.

Shaun Ryder on the other hand is to popular music,

what Shane McGowan is to The Temperance League.

Edited by Tempus Fugit

Guest Guest_Mrs MacGowan

People have been saying Shane will be dead within a year for the past 20 years.True, Shane has battled with drink and drugs yet it is his body and he will do what he pleases with it.Its about time people appreciated the wonderful and heartfelt music he has created and stopped focusing in on the fact that like everybody else in this world, he likes a drink.

B) ALL U MUGS! SHANE AND KEITH RICHARDS ARE WHAT ROCK AND ROLLS ALL ABOUT,ITS ALL ABOUT THE DRINK AND DRUGS.

UNLIKE ALL UR F*****g BORING MR CLEAN MEN LIKE ROBBIE WILLIAMS,WHO WISHES HE WAS A HELL RAISER WHEN IN FACT A PUSSY LIGHT WEIGHT!

MUSIC IS BORING NOW,WE NEED REAL ROCK STARS LIKE THEM,UNLIKE THE c**ts TODAY LIKE BUSTED

Robbie Williams!! That 'boring Mr Clean' had to dry out at Clouds House some years ago.

So whatever sets him aside from your heroes of rock its not the drugs and booze.

True, Shane has battled with drink and drugs

He hasn't really been putting up all that much of a fight really...

It wasn't Shane's fault, he was ambushed

Guest Guest

What if Shane gets HIV or Hep C in the next year. Word on the street he is playing on both sides of the street. That's why he got beat up in that pub and his girl left him. I would consider putting him on the list.

I heard that in the last twenty years, three people have died at Shane McGowan's flat in separate drink and/or drug related incidents.

Surely that can't be true? One is understandable, two is careless, but three??

I can't find anything on the internet to substantiate this claim and have come to the conclusion that it's an urban myth. I was wondering if any other deathlisters had heard the same rumour.

I heard that in the last twenty years, three people have died at Shane McGowan's flat in separate drink and/or drug related incidents.

I can't find anything on the internet to substantiate this claim and have come to the conclusion that it's an urban myth. I was wondering if any other deathlisters had heard the same rumour.

I have heard that too, and am tempted to believe it. Given the sort of people he probably has visiting his flat, it wouldn't be all that suprising.

I've also heard that he had his liver checked in 2001 and he had the liver of a 12-year-old (human, not single malt) so he's in pretty good order.

What's truly amazing is that none of the three people was Shane MacGowan.

Anyway, I checked and as Wikipedia doesn't mention the three deaths thing, then the rumours must be wrong

Guest Shuffler

You didn't look that hard!

Try here

Guest Shuffler

... the statement that all 3 died "at his flat" is not true, as you will see from reading the article, but I'm sure this is the story you are looking for.

I thought two and a half years was too long for the Shane MacGowan thread to be inactive. His liver has been in the news recently.

MacGowan's Father Issues Warning To Son

"Shane must heed the doctor's advice. He's had scares before but hepatitis is serious. He has had a good run on the drink but he must remember he is mortal."

MacGowan Hits Back Over Illness Rumours

MacGowan insists that his health is fine these days, despite the fact that has not given up alcohol. He adds, "I think the reason I'm still here is because I have a strong constitution. I don't feel 50, I feel younger every day."

I don't feel 50, I feel younger every day."

Which means he' got 49 days left...

What's truly amazing is that none of the three people was Shane MacGowan.

Anyway, I checked and as Wikipedia doesn't mention the three deaths thing, then the rumours must be wrong

You couldn't be more misguided about Wikipedia on that. Due to their BLP (biographies of living persons) policy, Wikipedia is really strict about keeping that kind of thing specifically out of its articles, especially if the rumours surface in things like tabloid newspapers.

Myself and the Voice of Young Maryport recently tackled some mountain bike trails in Glentress where their infamous black trail has a hazard called Shane MacGowan. It's a series of rocks, obliging the rider to jump from one to the next, so called because said rocks resemble his front teeth circa 1992. The humour of hazard naming comes accross in the linked web page though they don't push the MacGowan hazard as a major attraction on that trail.

Dear Death List,

Surely a prime candidate for imminent demise and worthy of a place on next

years Death List is former Pogues frontman Shane MacGowan. Shane is looking

in pretty poor shape these days and seems to be unable to wean himself off

drink and drugs. Shane has been abusing his body for years and it's high

time he shuffled off this mortal coil.

Yours sincerely,

James G

From what I can make out, this seems to be the oldest thread on the board.

Now seems as good a time as any to unearth it, dust it off and breathe some life into it. Anyone seen The Pogues front man recently?

PS, I wonder if guest James G is still with us?

Dear Death List,

Surely a prime candidate for imminent demise and worthy of a place on next

years Death List is former Pogues frontman Shane MacGowan. Shane is looking

in pretty poor shape these days and seems to be unable to wean himself off

drink and drugs. Shane has been abusing his body for years and it's high

time he shuffled off this mortal coil.

Yours sincerely,

James G

From what I can make out, this seems to be the oldest thread on the board.

Now seems as good a time as any to unearth it, dust it off and breathe some life into it. Anyone seen The Pogues front man recently?

PS, I wonder if guest James G is still with us?

He was due to be playing at my local Trowbridge Pump Festival, but his agent pulled him as he was not confident enough that he would actually show up.

Link

Just watching Britain's Favourite Xmas Song on Channel 4 and Shane McGowan is looking bloody awful on it. A patch on his left eye (which makes him look like a pirate) and he can hardly speak. There were subtitles for him his speech was so slurred

Just watching Britain's Favourite Xmas Song on Channel 4 and Shane McGowan is looking bloody awful on it. A patch on his left eye (which makes him look like a pirate) and he can hardly speak. There were subtitles for him his speech was so slurred

Sounds about normal for him though. I wouldn't take that as a sign he's close to death.

Guest Pedro

Judging by his brief appearance in the Liverpool 96 charity video, I'm not sure he is still with us, with himself, within himself.

Sounds about normal for him though. I wouldn't take that as a sign he's close to death.

Aye, but we lost a few of his ilk - like Winehouse - and it's easy to be complacent where Shane is concerned. Basically, he's a hopeless pisshead with fairly obvious signs of self-esteem issues spilling over into deliberate self-harm, all of it masked with a thin layer of bravado and some misguided notion that his spiral into inevitable death is in some way romantic. He can't sing anymore, he looks like shit and he hasn't written anything worth listening to in years. The one thing going for him may be that his liver can just about cope with the alcohol and he's so busy as a pisshead he hasn't got time to do other substances that would hasten his demise. Once his liver starts to go, multiple organ problems will follow and he'll go down fairly quickly unless he can be managed into a cold turkey cure (highly unlikely IMHO). There are 25 candidates pushing for space on my DDP team, and he's one of them.

Ach. sure it was his birthday yesterday, must have had a pre birthday swallow.......... Got at least another 10 years I reckon.

• Like 1