Guest JamesG

Shane MacGowan

8 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Sooo, the BBC won't play Fairytale Of New York: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54999375

So if MacGowan dies around Christmastime, you can see the quandary....

Why is this STILL news? The Radio 1 friendly edit has existed since before KIRSTY MCCOLL WAS EVEN FUCKING MURDERED YET. But ever single fucking year its a news story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Sooo, the BBC won't play Fairytale Of New York: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54999375

So if MacGowan dies around Christmastime, you can see the quandary....

Complete non-issue about non-offence fabricated by no one who’s a non-bigot, as described in the Snowflake thread.

I reckon Shane’s got another few rounds of this nonsensical diatribe left in him, though.

9 minutes ago, msc said:

Why is this STILL news? The Radio 1 friendly edit has existed since before KIRSTY MCCOLL WAS EVEN FUCKING MURDERED YET. But ever single fucking year its a news story.

Every year. An annual event. Like Christmas. :P

More people have less to do as well...you know, they've buried their Covid ridden mother, been made redundant, gives them summat to do before they hit the food bank for their upcoming solitary holiday day.

Ridiculous PC virtue signalling clap trap.Should play it unedited.

30 minutes ago, Sean said:

Ridiculous PC virtue signalling clap trap.Should play it unedited.

This is exactly what I think about "My Dicc Is Still Prejudice" by Tweedy Bird Loc.

• Haha 1

On 05/12/2020 at 14:30, maryportfuncity said:

Documentary movie unleashed 

With subtitles, if the clips Mark Kermode showed when reviewing it are anything to go by - https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/crock-of-gold-shane-mcgowan-pogues-trailer-1079178/

I read in a related article on the documentary, that Shane has "practically given up" on alcohol.

Also, I think this must be indeed be the longest thread between "must be dead soon" and actual death.

On 09/12/2020 at 17:22, gcreptile said:

I read in a related article on the documentary, that Shane has "practically given up" on alcohol.

Down to 20 units a day then!

• Haha 1

On 09/12/2020 at 17:22, gcreptile said:

Also, I think this must be indeed be the longest thread between "must be dead soon" and actual death.

Ozzy Osbourne was a Deathlist pick in the 80's and he still breathes so he probably shades it because Shane was borderline functional at that time. 

Even if he kicked the sauce, which on the clips I've seen from that documentary isn't the case, there's miles on that body clock he couldn't turn back even if he took up jogging.

This remains the dumbest addition to DL EVER and I am certain he won’t be returning ‘oh he drinks’ well if that’s the criteria put Sir Cunto on DL.

9 minutes ago, Sir Cunt said:

This remains the dumbest addition to DL EVER and I am certain he won’t be returning ‘oh he drinks’ well if that’s the criteria put Sir Cunto on DL.

*adds Sir Cunto to shortlist*

:lol:

• Haha 5

Apparently the BBC prepared a draft of his obituary way back in 2005.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Apparently the BBC prepared a draft of his obituary way back in 2005.

When he was 47, then

Tbh I'm not amongst those thinking him a bad pick. The man's alcohol intake has ravaged his body and mental faculties. We're clearly in George Best territory in terms of the accumulation of damage and he's blatantly an alcoholic with little evidence he can bring the sickness under complete control. John Martyn - similar in that he pretty much created his own persona and spent most of his public life in denial about the real nature of his background - didn't see his 61st birthday. Shane's 63 on Christmas Day. 

John Martyn - aged about 25

John-Martyn-770-2.jpg

John Martyn - last tour

136590-004-4548998D.jpg

• Like 3

Yes, I suspect the people who think him a bad pick are not all that familiar with ol' Shane.

I am very familiar with how drugged up Shane was. However he seemed to have sobered up recently, and even if that point is moot you could compare him with someone like Keith Richards. Or Ozzy Osbourne. Both of whom are still alive today. 

6 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I am very familiar with how drugged up Shane was. However he seemed to have sobered up recently, and even if that point is moot you could compare him with someone like Keith Richards. Or Ozzy Osbourne. Both of whom are still alive today. 

Keith isn't a fair comparison. During his addicted years the Stones had a tame doctor in every town so Keith injected pharmaceutical grade only (i.e. not cut with the usual garbage a street dealer would use to adulterate the stuff). Since when a lot of the Jack Daniels and fag on the go shots are part of the image. Won't bore you AGAIN with that friend of a friend tale about what was in his whiskey glass over three decades ago. Ozzy's nervous system and brain are showing the damage he did to himself and Shane hasn't got a Sharon Osbourne in his life. Those shots of John Martyn above are explained partly because his lifestyle ambushed him in the end when a cyst in his leg - direct result of years of self-abuse - burst and he ended up having half a leg amputated to save his life. He never got on with the various false legs, partly because his alcohol intake made balance a bit of a guessing game before the amputation, so that led to immobility and massive weight gain. Shane could end up in those circumstances and it'd be downhill pronto if he did.

Ozzy probably doesn't have much longer left in general. :(

Shane could go tomorrow or when he's 70 like Lemmy. He and Gazza will go at some point this decade, its narrowing down the exact year...

I remember very early this year there was a video I stumbled onto from 2013 that talked about 10 musicians who surprisingly didn’t die of drugs (all ten at the time were still alive). You know how many of them died since that video 7 years ago? That’s right, only one of them died (that being Lemmy). In general, if you don’t die quickly after drug usage it’s very hard to track down when someone could finally meet their maker. 

5 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

When he was 47, then

Tbh I'm not amongst those thinking him a bad pick. The man's alcohol intake has ravaged his body and mental faculties. We're clearly in George Best territory in terms of the accumulation of damage and he's blatantly an alcoholic with little evidence he can bring the sickness under complete control. John Martyn - similar in that he pretty much created his own persona and spent most of his public life in denial about the real nature of his background - didn't see his 61st birthday. Shane's 63 on Christmas Day. 

John Martyn - aged about 25

John-Martyn-770-2.jpg

John Martyn - last tour

136590-004-4548998D.jpg

That last photo reminds me of the brilliant David Thomas of Pere Ubu, who (apart from looking really unhealthy and hardly being able to walk anymore) said he almost died twice the past few years. Might not be famous enough, but at least DDP-worthy.

5 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I remember very early this year there was a video I stumbled onto from 2013 that talked about 10 musicians who surprisingly didn’t die of drugs (all ten at the time were still alive). You know how many of them died since that video 7 years ago? That’s right, only one of them died (that being Lemmy). In general, if you don’t die quickly after drug usage it’s very hard to track down when someone could finally meet their maker. 

It's more the drink with Shane. 

2 hours ago, Toast said:

It's more the drink with Shane. 

Indeed - but it's a fuck-ton of drink over a long long time.

19 hours ago, Charles De Gaulle said:

Not terrible choice but there are smarter choice. Remove in 2021 and replace with Ozzy.

*removed from list and dies January 2nd*

• Like 1