Dear Death List,

Surely a prime candidate for imminent demise and worthy of a place on next

years Death List is former Pogues frontman Shane MacGowan. Shane is looking

in pretty poor shape these days and seems to be unable to wean himself off

drink and drugs. Shane has been abusing his body for years and it's high

time he shuffled off this mortal coil.

Yours sincerely,

James G

Shane MacGowan does regularly come up for consideration although frankly he has astounded us with his longevity so far.

It does seem that he's more on the rails now than a few years ago, however it seems unlikely he's ever going to be getting a 100th birthday telegram from the Queen. :P

On a similar note Shawn Rider really does look rough these days - if only he were to drop dead on a Monday we'd have the perfect headline :P

Cheers

DeathList Committee

• Like 1

Guest divers-i-ty

Excuse my ignorance (as somebody who hasn't followed shane all that much), but just what headline would that be?

The headline reference refers to Shawn Ryder - former frontman/singer of those baggy Mancunian band "The Happy Mondays". The headline would of course be..."Happy Monday" :P

Guest Phil

Dear James G,

I find guys like you completely hilarious. You may very well be right but critics and reporters have been saying the same thing about Shane since the 80's. Downright laughable at this point.

I'm with you on this one Phil, it's like saying "Hey anyone noticed the Pope's not looking too chipper?"

;) I think you fellas are missing the point. Shane's geting to the age where his excesses are catching up with him fast. I saw an interview with him done last year sometime and he looked like a corpse (OK, Keith Richards has managed that one for years but he's not exactly been a Shane-style boozer or drugie in recent years). Jim Morrison was thought to be a good candidate for corpsing back in 1970 around the time when Hendrix and Joplin pegged out, but everyone at the time said he was "too obvious" a choice. Just because the juvenile music press have been predicting Shane's demise for years, this should'nt be taken as any form of guide. A bunch of sixth-form tossers most of them. If anyone else apart from MacGowan looked or sounded like him, you guys would be falling over yourselves to nominate him. :P
  • Like 1

Guest Sarah

To James B--Go f*ck yourself! Shane will outlive you!

Sarah

Im sure I speak for James G when I say that you have taken his post in the wrong context. DeathList.net is about predicting celebrities who might die during the next year rather than wishing them any harm.

In any case he didnt get selected for year's list so we're all hoping he continues to have a long and "healthly" life.

Guest nobby3

Shane macgowan will outlive us all. A constitution like an ox

As long as dental decay doesnt get him, I tend to agree :D

Looks like Shane is in the news again.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040421/325/ermlw.html

The part about being hit in the face with a metal pole brings a whole new meaning to the joke 'A man walks into a bar...'

Having said that, Shane is not on this years list, so I think the Committee should tell the heavies to hold off for now :D

I saw Mr. MacGowan on Saturday night. Amazingly he looks fairly OK, although I must say that these things are relative and he shouldn't be expecting a call-up to the Irish olympic athletics team.

Therefore I'd say keep him out of the running for next years list.

Guest eddy

:huh: ALL U MUGS! SHANE AND KEITH RICHARDS ARE WHAT ROCK AND ROLLS ALL ABOUT,ITS ALL ABOUT THE DRINK AND DRUGS.

UNLIKE ALL UR F*****g BORING MR CLEAN MEN LIKE ROBBIE WILLIAMS,WHO WISHES HE WAS A HELL RAISER WHEN IN FACT A PUSSY LIGHT WEIGHT!

MUSIC IS BORING NOW,WE NEED REAL ROCK STARS LIKE THEM,UNLIKE THE c**ts TODAY LIKE BUSTED

i agree most music today does suck especially if you are listening to robbie williams, but the rolling stones sucked pretty big wank in their day too. also dont you think it is amazing how personal some of these people take it when a member makes a suggestion of someone to put on the list? take it easy teenie boppers.

There's an article about Shane in the Glasgow Evening Times in which he sounds disappointingly fit & healthy. They've got a good photo of him trying (& failing) to drink wine & lager at the same time though:

091204mshanem.jpg

C'mon now! Any picture where Shane has managed to hide his infamous teeth is going to make him look healthier...

Guest Al MacGowan

Away with Y'all, theres no was you can predict our Shanes death, he drinks so fekin much he's pickl in the the gut, probebly still be performing in some groupe or other 40 year av he dies, if he ain deed already, somtimes it's hard to tell.

But seriously we've been telling him for years to at least cut down on his drinkin, wev'e already lost several uncels and his da to it, he's just like em and it'll catch up on him, wish i'd found this groupe earlier but only just put Shanes name + the word Drinking into the browser belive it or not, hope i'm not too late to join in. Alhtough Shane was actualy born in Kent he spent way too many years here in Tipperary and the Irish drinking habbits have stuck with him, we all prey that he mannages to suvive 1 more year and somehow he dose.

Al MacGowen

Tipperary.

Guest Roy

I saw Shane MacGowan last December (2004) in Manchester.

He looked more alive then ever.

I think he is one of those rare exeptions, drinkin, doing drugs, smoking, and live till the day he turnes 91.

And even after his death, he'll still live forever!!!

Shane MacGowan for ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greetz Roy from Holland.

WHILE the rest of the world is detoxing for new year, it's good to know singer Shane Macgowan, re-united with his band the Pogues, has no such nonsense in mind. MacGowan, who celebrated his 49th birthday on Christmas Day, has been touring Britain with a personal bar on stage. "Shane has a tiny green tent at the back of the stage where he retires for a drop of the hard stuff and a sit-down during the musical interludes, or when someone else is singing," says my man backstage. "It's known as Shane's tent."

good man....trying hard....! :rip:

Guest Toke Deltorso
To James B--Go f*ck yourself!  Shane will outlive you!

piss off soft twat . :o my cat will out live that soft twat!.

Guest Toke Deltorso
:o ALL U MUGS! SHANE AND KEITH RICHARDS ARE WHAT ROCK AND ROLLS ALL ABOUT,ITS ALL ABOUT THE DRINK AND DRUGS.

UNLIKE ALL UR F*****g BORING MR CLEAN MEN LIKE ROBBIE WILLIAMS,WHO WISHES HE WAS A HELL RAISER WHEN IN FACT A PUSSY LIGHT WEIGHT!

MUSIC IS BORING NOW,WE NEED REAL ROCK STARS LIKE THEM,UNLIKE THE c**ts TODAY LIKE BUSTED

Another complete knobhead!. go forth an multiply knobhead. :D

Guest boomstick

In the recent photos his skin has a very very yellow tone, a la George Best. I'll say his liver won't take very much more. But not on death list yet, wait until he gets hospitalised.