Guest JamesG

Shane MacGowan

:rip:  he sounds more optimistic than practical. 2022 could be when the clock runs out.

At least we know he wants to fight on and given his health issues are entirely self-inflicted, that may count for something. I'd drop him for 2022. 

It also means that he acknowledges that he is Ill and most of the time, when people begin to say « I wanna live » that’s when they die. I’d keep him for 2022.

3 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

At least we know he wants to fight on and given his health issues are entirely self-inflicted, that may count for something. I'd drop him for 2022. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/shane-macgowan-someone-wants-lot-122938601.html

Yahoo article, for those who can't read the NY Times one due to not having an account on the site. 

Since falling and breaking his pelvis in 2015, MacGowan has used a wheelchair to get around. He’s been in and out of hospital to treat a variety of medical issues, including a broken knee, the result of another fall in February. (He is undergoing physical therapy.) “You find out your bones are turned to dust,” MacGowan said, employing a profanity.

“I think he just thought he was indestructible. This is the first time that he’s ever had to face the possibility that he isn’t superhuman.”

Questions about how long MacGowan has for this earth have trailed him for much of his adult life. “Quite soon after I met him, somebody said to me, ‘You realise he’s only got about six months to live,’” Clarke recalled.

Just posted on the Deathrace that - incredibly - he's a no show on the masterlist this year. I'll admit to sentiment getting the better of me and avoiding him as a specuative pick on my entries into dead pools that last the whole year. I'll be surprised if he's dropped from the DL 50, his crumbling frame is already - medically speaking - old bones and his inability to take weight bearing exercise won't help the situation. 

• Like 2

Keeping him for the 4th year in a row AND dropping him to spot number 50. They really want that Shane MacGowan hit don’t they?

• Like 1

Speaking to Richard Balls and reading his biography, if he was to clean up a fair bit he'd be able to get a few ailments / problems sorted out. 

Bad choice. Don't think he will be going anywhere for another 10 years or so. 

2 minutes ago, Elvis is alive! said:

Bad choice. Don't think he will be going anywhere for another 10 years or so. 

I seriously doubt he'll see another ten years - simply too much mileage on those internal organs

6 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

I seriously doubt he'll see another ten years - simply too much mileage on those internal organs

But 10 years is a too large period to be included in the deathlist ! I don’t think he has a lot in him neither but if we were to put all the people that could die in the next 10 years, it’ll be kind of messy wouldn’t it ?

2 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

But 10 years is a too large period to be included in the deathlist ! I don’t think he has a lot in him neither but if we were to put all the people that could die in the next 10 years, it’ll be kind of messy wouldn’t it ?

Well, aye...but the whole point of dead pooling is getting those guesses right. Shane's occasional positive comments don't go alongside a fitness regime or other signs he's actually turning anything round. His body has shipped damage on a truly momumental scale given he managed both drug and alcohol addictions and there's no sign he's kicked the pop. 70 would be an achievement (Christmas Day 2027 where he's concerned). Assuming you were going to bet on say, whether he or Anthony Fauci (17 years and one day older) were going to go first, I'd put the cash on Shane

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

One of the committee must be a big MacGowan / The Pogues fanboy.

If I were to compile this list myself, I would also take over my favorite singers or actors (maybe one or two) year after year ;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Book said:

One of the committee must be a big MacGowan / The Pogues fanboy.

If I were to compile this list myself, I would also take over my favorite singers or actors (maybe one or two) year after year ;)

Showing my alleged hipster card, probably but I'd legit have If I Should Fall From Grace With God in my top ten albums of all time.

And in the title track (MacGowans handwritten epitaph from 35 odd years ago),  there is a bit of phrasing I love:

Bury me at sea
Where no murdered ghost can haunt me
If I rock upon the waves
No corpse shall lie upon me

:D

• Like 2

Tbh, them putting MacGowan at number 50 all but confirms he’ll be a Deathlist bedblocker for the rest of his life. Although given the track they had with 50th place in recent years he’s probably not one for long…

He's been hanging on for so long I don't think he can really be compared to anyone. 

I feel like he wouldn't survive another bout of pneumonia

Was he the last minute replacement for Betty White or was it someone else? I'm guessing they moved everyone up one spot and quickly picked Shane for the 50th place, but what do I know.

No, there's only 24 returnees on the list, to fit that theory. DDT (who is an admin and therefore would know) said Denis Law was the sub a few days ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As someone said on another board I use, he now looks like a Paul Whitehouse character:

image.thumb.png.256aff21e8548daa18661ffbdf2fd31d.png

• Like 1

He's very unlikely to make 70 but I'm not convinced he's certain to go in the next couple of years either. 

• Like 1

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/i-came-i-saw-i-scribbled-shane-macgowan-on-bob-dylan-angels-and-his-lifelong-love-of-art

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10781751/Wheelchair-bound-former-Pogues-frontman-Shane-Macgowan-says-glad-alive.html

Now apparently needs round-the-clock care.

I’m not a morning person, but I am glad to be alive, so I’m grateful to wake up. I have beautiful carers who come and get me out of the bed and into the lime green chair. Usually someone tries to get me to do or talk about something. Sometimes people visit, or we go out to dinner, or sometimes I end up in hospital. If I don’t end up in hospital, I thank Jesus and His Holy Mother and all the saints and angels.’

Clarke said MacGowan finally became sober in 2106 after a lengthy stay in hospital. He then opted to stay away from alcohol when he came home.

From the Daily Mail article, we might have to wait a while for him to become a DL hit. :lol: