Sign in to follow this  
Monoclinic

Roy Castle

Remember Roy Castle - lung cancer through passive smoking from playing in jazz clubs? Correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by Notapotato

Remember Roy Castle - lung cancer through passive smoking from playing in jazz clubs? Correct me if I am wrong.

No you are not wrong. He spent years in smokey clubs and pubs when starting out but never smoked himself.

I believe it was his illness that raised awareness of the dangers of breathing other peoples smoke.

Aye, but there were lengthy discussions on this board for a while about the fact that Roy Castle was crap. Not that it has much to do with passive smoking and cancer, like.

Aye, but there were lengthy discussions on this board for a while about the fact that Roy Castle was crap. Not that it has much to do with passive smoking and cancer, like.

I found him quite entertaining especially in Record Breakers. However his talents deserted him when he tried to act. I remember several toe curling appearances in various Carry On films.

Two not to be missed highlights of his acting career are:

Dr. Who and the Daleks (with Peter Cushing)

and Dr. Terror's House of Horror (with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee)

I vaguely remember the Dr. Who stint but cannot place him in House of Horror.

He played the young trumpeter, funnily enough.

Went to the West Indies, only to find Kenny Lynch, The Tubby Hayes Band and a whole can of voodoo whoop-ass.

Great film, with some top Alan 'Fluff' Freeman acting no less.

DrTerror.jpg

And please let's not forget his magnificent performance as Captain Keene in Carry on up the Khyber.

And please let's not forget his magnificent performance as Captain Keene in Carry on up the Khyber.

Oh yes he was quite good in that and not a trumpet in sight! :)

Oh yes he was quite good in that and not a trumpet in sight! :)

I'm pretty sure there's at least a bugle of some sort in there somewhere.

Actually, those three films seem to be the only full-length features he was in.

When I was a child, growing up on the mean streets of Bournemouth, Roy Castle always seemed to have pride of place in the carnival parade every summer. People who met him say he was a decent bloke, but I just remember him as the man off the telly who was sitting in some gas-guzzling American hulk of a car, preening himself and waving to the crowd like a real star - somewhere between the majorettes and a rusting Bedford lorry made up to look like a wild west saloon.

I was much more impressed when Brian Murphy turned up to open a local school fete. After all, he had got to shag Yootha Joyce. No wonder he always looked so tired.

After all, he had got to shag Yootha Joyce.

Rumours, rumours. In the show they had no children and other than an episode where he got horny supping home brew I don't remember that much evidence of action. Did he get his leg-over the geezer bird off camera?

Rumours, rumours. In the show they had no children and other than an episode where he got horny supping home brew I don't remember that much evidence of action. Did he get his leg-over the geezer bird off camera?

This link suggests that whilst there was little physical contact during the show, there had been a degree of sexual intimacy earlier in the marriage. This is hardly suprising. I see Mildred as a very dominant woman, quite possibly with a large suitcase bursting with plastic paraphernalia. George, after years of supplication, could bear the physical and mental scars no longer, and retreated into a nether world of home-brew fuelled fantasy.

In this way some commentators see George and Mildred as a modern Lyistrata, but I understand it more as a classic example of how a seemingly vacuous entertainment can seek to foment the stirrings of revolution by representing the exploitative class relationship between the proletarian masses (represented by George in his ongoing position in the reserve army of labour) and the capitalists (represented by the domineering Mildred). The lack of sexual relations between the two could be read either as

- The total repression of the proletariat to the extent that they can no longer produce, evidencing one of the inherent contradictions of capitalism.

Or

- The first step in the self-consciousness of the masses as they strive to challenge the hegemony of the owners of the means of production (Mildred, with her womb symbolizing the factory system) by withdrawing their labour and refusing to co-operate in their own exploitation.

Next week - How Professor Yaffle started the Biafran War.

This link suggests that whilst there was little physical contact during the show, there had been a degree of sexual intimacy earlier in the marriage. This is hardly suprising. I see Mildred as a very dominant woman, quite possibly with a large suitcase bursting with plastic paraphernalia. George, after years of supplication, could bear the physical and mental scars no longer, and retreated into a nether world of home-brew fuelled fantasy.

In this way some commentators see George and Mildred as a modern Lyistrata, but I understand it more as a classic example of how a seemingly vacuous entertainment can seek to foment the stirrings of revolution by representing the exploitative class relationship between the proletarian masses (represented by George in his ongoing position in the reserve army of labour) and the capitalists (represented by the domineering Mildred). The lack of sexual relations between the two could be read either as

- The total repression of the proletariat to the extent that they can no longer produce, evidencing one of the inherent contradictions of capitalism.

Or

- The first step in the self-consciousness of the masses as they strive to challenge the hegemony of the owners of the means of production (Mildred, with her womb symbolizing the factory system) by withdrawing their labour and refusing to co-operate in their own exploitation.

Next week - How Professor Yaffle started the Biafran War.

I hope the Monkeys 2007 jury are paying attention, an early post of the year contender from Twelvetrees, IMHO.

I hope the Monkeys 2007 jury are paying attention, an early post of the year contender from Twelvetrees, IMHO.
Just to bring the intellect back down to my level, that is very f*cking funny!

I shall set a reminder for next week...

ps Twelvetrees, did you help write the 'ORB (Oxford St, Regent, St Bond St) An Action Plan For The Retail Streets' booklet my office received today? I quote (favourite bits highlighted): -

Oxford Street Axonometric View

London's principal shopping street is to be upgraded to transform it into a high quality, well organised and generous street. Strongly delineated pavements of increased width with regular defined crossing points will provide a seamless pedestrian experience. Street furniture will be decluttered, installing iconic benches, signage and one sided light masts that will run the length of the street.

i.e. the pavement will be wider... :(

Here's what I'd consider a fair representation of Roy Castle's eclectic palette of acting ability:

castleoe1.jpg

:( You only become that good an actor with dedication...

(oooh-oooh) dedication

De-di-CAAAAAYYYYYY-TION!!!!

That's what you need.