Death Star

Kirk Douglas

24 minutes ago, DeathClock said:

Still works out. I think he still has 1-3 years left.

You can see in this video that he was still in decent physical form in his late 90s (he wasn't 100 like the video says):

However, 3 years is pushing it. In this documentary from 2006 there is a 102-year-old Californian woman who rides her exercise bike every day and has the vitality of a 70-year-old. EDIT: she's at 14:11

If you look up the names of most of the Californian "health nuts" seen here then they didn't live much longer after the documentary. Also look at the examples of Charles Eugster or Olga Kotelko - sprightly people in their mid-nineties who simply died on a quiet day. Exercising is a good thing when you're that age but it doesn't necessarily make you live longer.

The good thing about exercise is that you die much healthier.

• Like 4

He is doing well but could easily have another stroke or infection that could finish him off.When you get to his age it becomes difficult to predict.Plus if his  99 year old wife dies or Michael gets cancer again or Cameron overdoses he could suddenly decline.All up in the air at this point.When I started deadlocking several years ago the idea of him making 105 seemed fanciful.Now it does seem to be a possibility.

26 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

If you look up the names of most of the Californian "health nuts" seen here then they didn't live much longer after the documentary. Also look at the examples of Charles Eugster or Olga Kotelko - sprightly people in their mid-nineties who simply died on a quiet day. Exercising is a good thing when you're that age but it doesn't necessarily make you live longer.

Jack LaLanne too. You would've thought he'd be a surefire centenarian with his vigorous exercise routine, but he got pneumonia and died at 96.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Jack LaLanne too. You would've thought he'd be a surefire centenarian with his vigorous exercise routine, but he got pneumonia and died at 96.

Aye, s'why we're try to see my nonagenarian aunt as often as possible. Still got her marbles and active for now, but you can't take anything for granted when folk get to that age.

22 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

You can see in this video that he was still in decent physical form in his late 90s (he wasn't 100 like the video says):

However, 3 years is pushing it. In this documentary from 2006 there is a 102-year-old Californian woman who rides her exercise bike every day and has the vitality of a 70-year-old. EDIT: she's at 14:11

Are any of the subjects of that documentary still alive?

I know Henry Florrie Muriel Sidney Buster Gertrude and Maria died but not what happened to the others.

1 minute ago, Sean said:

Are any of the subjects of that documentary still alive?

Probably not. I'll need to watch it again to make sure, but the odds are that they're all long gone. Buster was younger than he claimed he was but that didn't make a big difference. He still died 6 years ago whether he was 95 or 105.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Probably not. I'll need to watch it again to make sure, but the odds are that they're all long gone. Buster was younger than he claimed he was but that didn't make a big difference. He still died 6 years ago whether he was 95 or 105.

I know Grace died soon after too.

Does anyone know  when /if Marge or the Trumpet guy died?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

You're healthy until you're not healthy. While being a "health nut" does increase your chances of making it to 100 in the end it isn't a 100% certainty that you'll make it to that age. These stories are cheered picked health nut success stories. You aren't going to hear about then ones who still got cancer despite their life style. In the end its  chaos and bullshit that determines how long a person will live.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, The Mad Hatter said:

You're healthy until you're not healthy. While being a "health nut" does increase your chances of making it to 100 in the end it isn't a 100% certainty that you'll make it to that age. These stories are cheered picked health nut success stories. You aren't going to hear about then ones who still got cancer despite their life style. In the end its  chaos and bullshit that determines how long a person will live.

Exactly.I knew a bodybuilder marathon runner who never smoked or drank that died from lung cancer in his 50s.

4 minutes ago, Sean said:

I know Grace died soon after too.

Does anyone know  when /if Marge or the Trumpet guy died?

Marge died in 2011 aged 106. The Japanese "banzai" woman would be 115 so we can count her out too. And there are only 3 American men who are old enough to be the jazz guy. 2 of them are black so, unless his name is George Feldman, he's dead.

On 20/07/2018 at 23:43, Sean said:

I know Henry Florrie Muriel Sidney Buster Gertrude and Maria died but not what happened to the others.

Henry Gertrude sure has a lot of middle names...:D

• Haha 4

Whilst he looks good for 101 I very much doubt he is up to working out anymore.

If he sees 2019, which I think he will, he should NOT be #1 on the list. I think George Bush, Leah Bracknell, or Stan Lee should get the nod.

6 minutes ago, DeathClock said:

If he sees 2019, which I think he will, he should NOT be #1 on the list. I think George Bush, Leah Bracknell, or Stan Lee should get the nod.

probability always catches up with us

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DeathClock said:

Or it could be a new name that is terminally ill such as George Alagiah Bill Turnbull or Sir Richard Hadlee.

Or the committee might pick another old perennial pick like Work De Havilland Lynn De Cuellar or Prince Philip.

37 minutes ago, Sean said:

Or it could be a new name that is terminally ill such as George Alagiah Bill Turnbull or Sir Richard Hadlee.

Or the committee might pick another old perennial pick like Work De Havilland Lynn De Cuellar or Prince Philip.

non of them as famous though, its a trade-off

7 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/7265259/kirk-douglas-wife-anne-buydens-remain-inseparable-wheelchairs/

Kirk Douglas and his wife Anne pictured with their carers out and about in Los Angeles .

Nice to see...but I do not see either of them living to see 2020 at all