themaninblack

The Boys Of '66

1 hour ago, drol said:

Well, Bonetti is gone, Hunter has COVID, Greavsie is in hospital and Nobby is the usual ethernal lingerer. The squad is rapidly vanishing...

Really is, I think Norman Hunter will be gone soon and possibly Greavies dependant on what’s wrong with him this time. After Bonetti’s death today looked at the 1966 squad of the 22 players 10 are dead and 12 still alive so pretty much half are gone, dependant on the Virus could easily lose another 2 or 3 members this year, by say 2025 I reckon there will probably only be Sir Geoff left and maybe Nobby as he seems indestructible.

20 hours ago, Fergie86 said:

Really is, I think Norman Hunter will be gone soon and possibly Greavies dependant on what’s wrong with him this time. After Bonetti’s death today looked at the 1966 squad of the 22 players 10 are dead and 12 still alive so pretty much half are gone, dependant on the Virus could easily lose another 2 or 3 members this year, by say 2025 I reckon there will probably only be Sir Geoff left and maybe Nobby as he seems indestructible.

I think Bobby Charlton still has another 10 years in him.

1 hour ago, Arsewipe said:

I think Bobby Charlton still has another 10 years in him.

Don’t know about 10 years, wouldn’t be surprised if he has Parkinson’s though he might have 4 or 5 years in him.

1 hour ago, Fergie86 said:

Don’t know about 10 years, wouldn’t be surprised if he has Parkinson’s though he might have 4 or 5 years in him.

Bobby another 5 years I reckon. Surely Jack will go first? Nobby will probably survive a nuclear war. 

35 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Bobby another 5 years I reckon. Surely Jack will go first? Nobby will probably survive a nuclear war. 

Jack and Bobby will outlive the lot. Not because of health reasons. Just out of stubbornness and spite. One will never concede to dying before the other. It will be a long wait. 

Latest from BBC on Norman Hunter: 

Former Leeds United and England defender Norman Hunter "remains severely unwell" in hospital after testing positive for coronavirus, the club have said.

In a statement, Leeds said: "Norman Hunter continues to battle the COVID-19 virus in hospital and whilst he is, as expected, fighting incredibly hard, remains severely unwell.

"His family would like to take this opportunity to thank all Leeds United supporters for their amazing messages and well wishes.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bentrovato said:

Latest from BBC on Norman Hunter: 

Former Leeds United and England defender Norman Hunter "remains severely unwell" in hospital after testing positive for coronavirus, the club have said.

In a statement, Leeds said: "Norman Hunter continues to battle the COVID-19 virus in hospital and whilst he is, as expected, fighting incredibly hard, remains severely unwell.

"His family would like to take this opportunity to thank all Leeds United supporters for their amazing messages and well wishes.

Dead

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Just heard the news,  when I heard he was still seriously ill I thought this would be the outcome but hoped it wouldn’t be. RIP a great player.

• Like 1

Norman Hunter once joked that Refs were even scared of him and he'd have to "commit murder to get sent off".

RIP NORMAN HUNTER.

On 20/06/2015 at 13:35, msc said:

The way life is, folk will look at Jimmy Greaves, Nobby Stiles and the Charltons, and then one day Peter Bonetti will randomly cark it. At which point, overnight, he'll suddenly become "the legendary goalkeeper" in English lore.

Another entry into the scrapbook of surprisingly accurate DL predictions from yesteryear, if I dare say so myself.

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Dead

RIP. 24hrs is an odd time. 

Bonetti and Hunter also played against each other in the 1970 FA Cup Final.

• Like 1

So 2 of the squad dead in the past week.They say everything comes in threes.Will Jimmy Greaves be the third? 

I vote nobby

On 17/04/2020 at 12:52, CoffinLodger said:

So 2 of the squad dead in the past week.They say everything comes in threes.Will Jimmy Greaves be the third? 

Nobby Stiles is my hunch. 

8 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Nobby Stiles is my hunch. 

In theory should be him or Jimmy Greaves but will probably end up been someone like George Cohen.

• Like 1

On 17/04/2020 at 11:37, Ulitzer95 said:

11 down, 11 to go. 

In comparison the West Germany 1966 squad is 6 down, 16 to go. These are very small samples but does this say anything about the respective healthcare in each country? I suppose we'll need to wait and see where we are in about 5 years time before making any clear conclusions. 

1 hour ago, Deathrace said:

In comparison the West Germany 1966 squad is 6 down, 16 to go. These are very small samples but does this say anything about the respective healthcare in each country? I suppose we'll need to wait and see where we are in about 5 years time before making any clear conclusions. 

Maybe - through Germany and the UK have similar life expectancies as a whole. The Argentine team seems around 50/50 and that country not the greatest for healthcare.

Doesn't surprise me. I think it's a cultural difference more than anything. Lifestyle of former footballers of "that generation" in Britain was never particularly great.

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Doesn't surprise me. I think it's a cultural difference more than anything. Lifestyle of former footballers of "that generation" in Britain was never particularly great.

Very much so. Current footballers with their wealth will do well.

More than half of the England starting XI now playing football in the sky. Only B Charlton, Cohen, Hurst, Hunt and Nobby left. Beginning to think Nobby is going to outlive then all.