themaninblack

The Boys Of '66

44 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Nah they made up with each other a good few years ago. Illness is most likely genuine 

Not all of the Press not treating it as that. Some of them think it's a cover story.

Hard to tell - grief can make someone ill even without pre - existing conditions.

If Nobby and/or Jimmy go this year then I can see the Committee taking a punt on him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JQW said:

Bobby Charlton couldn't attend his brother's funeral today due to an unspecified illness. 

He must be gravely ill to not attend his brothers funeral. Ted Kennedy didn't attend his sisters funeral.He was dead within days. 

4 hours ago, Fergie86 said:

It could be that but I do think he is ill also, personally think he has Parkinson’s disease, looked frail last few times seen him on TV also remember about a year or so ago he had to lay a wreath in the centre circle before a Manchester Derby with Mike Summerabe and he was shaking uncontrollably and Summerabe has to help him. Also not at as many United games this season even before the Corona Virus before he never missed one this year missed a large proportion. Probably a mixture of the two, but do think he will go in the next 2 or 3 years.

Agreed. When hew as on BBC SPOTY a few years back (forget when) he was shaking all over the place and his voice was gone. Quite surprised he is still alive, to be honest.

5 hours ago, Fergie86 said:

It could be that but I do think he is ill also, personally think he has Parkinson’s disease, looked frail last few times seen him on TV also remember about a year or so ago he had to lay a wreath in the centre circle before a Manchester Derby with Mike Summerabe and he was shaking uncontrollably and Summerabe has to help him. Also not at as many United games this season even before the Corona Virus before he never missed one this year missed a large proportion. Probably a mixture of the two, but do think he will go in the next 2 or 3 years.

I suppose it's the legacy of living in the North East.Like Scotland it does't have a high life expectancy compared to the south east for example. 

11 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

He must be gravely ill to not attend his brothers funeral. Ted Kennedy didn't attend his sisters funeral.He was dead within days. 

One of the newspapers wrote it as if he was recovering from illness.

42 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

One of the newspapers wrote it as if he was recovering from illness.

Who knows? I suppose it’s a case of watch this space, I doubt he is going anywhere in the immediate future but he is 83 in October he might have a couple of years in him at best but doubt he will reach 90 or anywhere close to it. 

17 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

A grudge perhaps?Weren't the Charlton brothers famously estranged?

Whilst they were estranged for decades, they attended Ray Wilson's funeral together in 2018, so you'd imagine they were at least on speaking terms. Although that said I can't seem to find any photos of them together at Wilson's funeral - so they might not have resolved the feud. 

Of course none of us know for sure in situations like this but you'd have to reckon Bobby's illness is genuine. It could however be a grudge.

12 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

You do realise they weren't exactly close? 

25 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

Whilst they were estranged for decades, they attended Ray Wilson's funeral together in 2018, so you'd imagine they were at least on speaking terms. Although that said I can't seem to find any photos of them together at Wilson's funeral - so they might not have resolved the feud. 

Of course none of us know for sure in situations like this but you'd have to reckon Bobby's illness is genuine. It could however be a grudge.

It was mentioned a few years ago they were on speaking terms.

2 hours ago, Miracle Aligner said:

If you'll excuse the rather gratuitous shot of Jack crying at Ray Wilson's funeral:

tsr_ray_wilson_funeral__12_.jpg

That guy with glasses right next to him diving out of shot is Bobby. I'd imagine they talked as said but didn't want photos taken of it? (This is where someone posts an HD quality photo in the next hour to prove us both wrong here!)

From all accounts they'd buried the hatchet but we've all got someone similar in our families, no? They're family so you're close but your personalities just completely clash so there's always that awkwardness.

3 hours ago, msc said:

If you'll excuse the rather gratuitous shot of Jack crying at Ray Wilson's funeral:

tsr_ray_wilson_funeral__12_.jpg

That guy with glasses right next to him diving out of shot is Bobby. I'd imagine they talked as said but didn't want photos taken of it? (This is where someone posts an HD quality photo in the next hour to prove us both wrong here!)

From all accounts they'd buried the hatchet but we've all got someone similar in our families, no? They're family so you're close but your personalities just completely clash so there's always that awkwardness.

No.

11 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

No.

Knew there'd be some smart alec... :D

• Haha 1

I have.

3 hours ago, Man About The Forum said:

The falling out was because Jack wrote in his book (or whoever wrote it for him) that Bobby's wife, Norma, treated their mum like s**t, in short.

I have heard that Norma is supposed to be a lot more middle class than the Charltons and Jack accused Bobby of selling out. 

1966 England squad player Ron Flowers pictured at Molineux today watching Wolves play Newcastle. He's now 86. 

ElMOC7vXUAElWdQ.jpeg.jpg

On 11/07/2020 at 03:23, Deathrace said:

More than half of the England starting XI now playing football in the sky. Only B Charlton, Cohen, Hurst, Hunt and Nobby left. Beginning to think Nobby is going to outlive then all. 

Well, we know that won’t happen now...

• Like 1

9 left in 2018 to 4 left now from the team that won the Cup. DL call up imminent for Sir Bobby?

7 minutes ago, msc said:

9 left in 2018 to 4 left now from the team that won the Cup. DL call up imminent for Sir Bobby?

I think he is more ill than they are letting on I would be surprised if he is still with us in 5 years time but don’t know if it is imminent I think Jimmy Greaves can’t have long left he is like Stiles seems to have been on deaths door forever and you think the day the grim reaper comes calling will never come but obviously as proven by Stiles it will he would be my guess. I think either George Cohen or Sir Geoff Hurst will be the last one standing though I think they will all be gone in next 5 to 10 years. 

• Like 1

Reckon Hurst might last another 10 years but that's your lot. Cohen has already cheated death once (stomach cancer I believe). Hunt is rumoured to have early stage dementia and Bobby wasn't even well enough to attend his brother's funeral. Not a huge amount of longevity sadly. The Germans will likely have the last man standing from the final. Not sure who though? 

• Like 1

Quite telling that none of the remaining quartet have given interviews yet as far as I'm aware. I did hear fellow Manchester United European Cup winner Alex Stepney give an interview to the BBC this afternoon and he sounded ok, clearly still has all of his marbles at least though as a goalkeeper he'll be less exposed to the ball heading dementia epidemic 

19 hours ago, Deathrace said:

Quite telling that none of the remaining quartet have given interviews yet as far as I'm aware. I did hear fellow Manchester United European Cup winner Alex Stepney give an interview to the BBC this afternoon and he sounded ok, clearly still has all of his marbles at least though as a goalkeeper he'll be less exposed to the ball heading dementia epidemic 

Hurst looked in good form in the summer commentating from home on Channel four's re-run of the final.

1 minute ago, The Old Crem said:

Hurst looked in good form in the summer commentating from home on Channel four's re-run of the final.

Hurst gave a brief statement to the Beeb but I haven't seen anything from Charlton yet?

• Like 1