themaninblack

The Boys Of '66

Just now, msc said:

Hurst gave a brief statement to the Beeb but I haven't seen anything from Charlton yet?

And that is important as they were close.

5 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:
1 minute ago, The Old Crem said:

And that is important as they were close.

Has Denis Law said anything either? He has looked awful in recent interviews 

Not a surprise, sadly. I guess he'll grace many lists from now on.

Yes, he should have his own thread.

Last one standing?

Straight shoot-out between Cohen and Hurst I'd imagine.

Sad news a true legend knew something wasn’t right but thought more Parkinson’s than Dementia, I thought it was strange there was no comment from him over Stiles. Bobby Charlton probably the greatest of 66 squad what with surviving Munich air crash, winning leagues, Fa Cups and winning and scoring in European Cup Final as well as been named European footballer too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NotTheNagsHeadReading said:

Last one standing?

Any thoughts on the German side? Beckenbauer is the youngest but he's not had fantastic health. Hottges, Weber and Overath are still in their mid 70s so may yet have some mileage although I'm not sure if the Germans are also suffering from the dementia epidemic which has afflicted the England team. 

And very sad news re Sir Bobby. As others have said, a true legend. 

11 hours ago, Fergie86 said:

Sad news a true legend knew something wasn’t right but thought more Parkinson’s than Dementia, I thought it was strange there was no comment from him over Stiles.

I also thought Parkinsons was the issue - he's seemed very shaky in recent appearances. Very sad either way.

11 hours ago, NotTheNagsHeadReading said:

Last one standing?

Both seem in good health, but Cohen has had health issues in the past. Hurst has the age edge (nearly 79 to just turned 81) but what about Roger Hunt? He's older (82) but still seems in great health. This article from January in the Liverpool Echo shows a couple of photos looking good and from the in-depth interview about his career there don't seem to be any current memory concerns. Sir Geoff's always looked the best bet, though, but I imagine a German will be the last man standing as @Deathrace suggests.

Geoff Hurst just showed up on the BBC Euro final coverage and still looks bloody good. Chatty, memory working well, standing without aide, short of accidents or sudden cancers he's got a while to go yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

Geoff Hurst just showed up on the BBC Euro final coverage and still looks bloody good. Chatty, memory working well, standing without aide, short of accidents or sudden cancers he's got a while to go yet.

I met him in 2019 and he was a lovely bloke. I was wearing a really bright shirt and he said it would probably break the photo lens on my camera. Long may he live 

• Like 1

And then there were 8...

George Cohen
Bobby Charlton
Geoff Hurst
Ron Flowers
Terry Paine
Ian Callaghan
Roger Hunt
George Eastham

Who will be the last one standing?

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

And then there were 8...

George Cohen
Bobby Charlton
Geoff Hurst
Ron Flowers
Terry Paine
Ian Callaghan
Roger Hunt
George Eastham

Would say Sir Geoff Hurst and probably by some distance. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

And then there were 8...

George Cohen
Bobby Charlton
Geoff Hurst
Ron Flowers
Terry Paine
Ian Callaghan
 Roger Hunt
 George Eastham

If its not Hurst I'll be surprised. He's still in good nick and only 78 so even if he declines around Charlton's age that's still a few years yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fergie86 said:

Would say Sir Geoff Hurst and probably by some distance. 

I would agree with you.

Still very active and fit. My sister met him a few weeks ago and got a photo with him. Saw him interviewed on both the BBC and GBNEWS recently.

Do we know much about the current health of the others? (apart from Charlton)

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I would agree with you.

Still very active and fit. My sister met him a few weeks ago and got a photo with him. Saw him interviewed on both the BBC and GBNEWS recently.

Do we know much about the current health of the others? (apart from Charlton)

George Cohen seems in decent health - still being interviewed on a fairly regular basis, and being a bulldog for dementia cases.

On the other hand, iirc someone on here posted a pic of Ron Flowers during the summer and he looked like he had one foot in the grave already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/10/2020 at 23:52, Deathrace said:

1966 England squad player Ron Flowers pictured at Molineux today watching Wolves play Newcastle. He's now 86. 

ElMOC7vXUAElWdQ.jpeg.jpg

When I said summer, I meant last October. It's been one of those years. 

• Haha 1

I think Terry Paine might give Hurst a run for his money. Only 82 so not much older than Hurst, lives probably a fairly nice lifestyle in Cape Town and has already given a long tribute to Greaves in the media so it appears he is ok mentally. He also looks relatively good for his age based on the recentish photos I have seen. No offence to Terry but I hope the last survivor from the squad is Hurst as it would be a lot more fitting but the Reaper doesn't do sentiment as we all know. 

• Like 1

Just been announced Roger Hunt has died. RIP.

I wonder how many Germans could be alive when the last of the English squad dies. Could well be 5 or more. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Like others I thought Roger Hunt was in good health, but clearly not, as he's dead.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, msc said:

Like others I thought Roger Hunt was in good health, but clearly not, as he's dead.

It was hard to tell. He didn’t seem to have dementia but he was mostly housebound and seemed to need some level of care by his wife when he was last interviewed. 

4 DDP Teams kept the faith, the Poker entrants kept their faith with Marsha. ;)

24 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

It was hard to tell. He didn’t seem to have dementia but he was effectively housebound and seemed to need some level of care by his wife when he was last interviewed. 

By comparison, but tbh I was mixing him up with George Cohen in my last post.