themaninblack

The Boys Of '66

With the captain Mooro, the man of the match Bally and manager Sir Alf now in the dressing room in the sky or some other such death/football based cliché, who will next join the almighty for a kickabout?

• Like 1

Remind me - what happened in 1966?

It's not as if we have constant reminders every 4 years...

It's boring isn't it? It'll be the same re the Ashes, they'll batter on and on about the 2005 Series being the greatest ever, failing to point out that if the light hadn't failed on the last day of the final Test the Aussies were poised to obliterate England.

It's boring isn't it? It'll be the same re the Ashes, they'll batter on and on about the 2005 Series being the greatest ever, failing to point out that if the light hadn't failed on the last day of the final Test the Aussies were poised to obliterate England.

I think you're getting confused - England batted until about 5.30, to leave Australia to score about 300 in about an hour. So even if the light had been good enough, it would have been a very unlikely Australian victory. Had Shane Warne not dropped Pietersen earlier in the day, things could have been a little different. Hence 'Warnie dropped the Ashes".

However, the second game could (should?) have been won by Australia, and they came close to winning the fourth as well.

After this winter, the least said about the Ashes the better I think.

I think you're getting confused - England batted until about 5.30, to leave Australia to score about 300 in about an hour. So even if the light had been good enough, it would have been a very unlikely Australian victory. Had Shane Warne not dropped Pietersen earlier in the day, things could have been a little different. Hence 'Warnie dropped the Ashes".

However, the second game could (should?) have been won by Australia, and they came close to winning the fourth as well.

After this winter, the least said about the Ashes the better I think.

My memory's not what it used to be, 32 and on the scrap heap of mental recollection. :P

With the captain Mooro, the man of the match Bally and manager Sir Alf now in the dressing room in the sky or some other such death/football based cliché, who will next join the almighty for a kickabout?

Since your entire post made no sense (it helps to indicate what you are babbling and blathering about----is this a sports thing or your college graduating class?) I wnet according to name feelings and good vibrations (boys of 66 reminded me of The Beach Boys) and then I selected Jack Charlton because it conjured up imgages of Charlton Heston.

Bobby Charlton is the only one I've heard of so I went for him. I hate leaving polls unfilled for some reason.

Since your entire post made no sense (it helps to indicate what you are babbling and blathering about----is this a sports thing or your college graduating class?) I wnet according to name feelings and good vibrations (boys of 66 reminded me of The Beach Boys) and then I selected Jack Charlton because it conjured up imgages of Charlton Heston.

For those across the Atlantic unfamiliar with the object of this thread let me explain. The Association Football World Cup (known as 'soccer') was inaugurated in 1930 and first played in Uruguay, South America. England did not enter the tournament untill after the war, in 1950. In 1966, England hosted the 16 team tournament. They reached the final and won, beating West Germany 4-2 after extra-time (2-2 after 90 minutes). This thread refers to the recent death of one of the winning teams' midfielders, Alan Ball. The captain of the team, Bobby Moore, died in 1993 of cancer. The manager, Sir Alf Ramsey, died in 1999. The list of 9 in the poll are the remaining England players, the so called 'Boys of '66', who have been referred to in every World Cup (which is held every 4 years and was once, amazingly, held in the United States) build-up by the popular press in England ever since...

;)

I voted Ray Wilson. Not only 'cus to my thinking he looks the oldest but I'm sure he got into the undertaking business.

ok i'll take George Cohen - Bally has proved that age doesnt matter so i've gone for who i think is the Least Famous.

I'm going for Gordon Banks.

He's always had a bit of a dicky tummy. Might just push him over the edge this time.

He's always had a bit of a dicky tummy. Might just push him over the edge this time.

Yes, definitely one to keep an eye on, you know what I'm sayin'..... ;)

I thought Gordon Banks presented The Krypton Factor.

I have to go with Roger Hunt. I've got a limerick prepared.

Bobby Charlton is the only one I've heard of so I went for him. I hate leaving polls unfilled for some reason.

So do I H, I went for Nobby Stiles purely on the name, imagine going through life called 'Nobby', what's it short for? When I was a kid there was a rag and bone man that came round and his horse was called Nobby.

So do I H, I went for Nobby Stiles purely on the name, imagine going through life called 'Nobby', what's it short for? When I was a kid there was a rag and bone man that came round and his horse was called Nobby.

Norbert.... ;)

I had assumed, as I suspect was the case with the rag and bone man's horse, that 'Nobby' was a reference to him having a large penis. I imagine my disappointment was less than that of the future Mrs Stiles on learning that it was in fact short for Norbert.

Edit to say: I see that TMIB has already given a more measured and mature reply.

I would also add that I in no way mean to imply that men called Norbert are in anyway lacking in the toilet region.

I thought Gordon Banks presented The Krypton Factor.

That was Gordon BURNS.

P.S. I voted for Cohen as well.

I went the Gordy route, too, there's a banana peel in his future, I'm sure.

Why do the British people think we Americans are so footy-challenged? The best part of that tourney in Uruguay was how pissed Brazil was about it. The Blonde's head damned near exploded.

Wiki page on the squad. If we're going on probabilities - not all that useful I'll admit - Ray Wilson is the likliest dead 'un since he was the oldest member of the team. Ron Flowers, the oldest member of the squad, and the only one older than Ray Wilson, is still alive.

I had assumed, as I suspect was the case with the rag and bone man's horse, that 'Nobby' was a reference to him having a large penis. I imagine my disappointment was less than that of the future Mrs Stiles on learning that it was in fact short for Norbert.

Edit to say: I see that TMIB has already given a more measured and mature reply.

I would also add that I in no way mean to imply that men called Norbert are in anyway lacking in the toilet region.

You're kind of on the right tracks as 'Nobby Stiles' is a slang phrase for a rather delicate condition, on the other side... :angry:

George Cohen does have history...

"His main return to the public eye came in the 1980s when he fought and won his battle with stomach cancer, which lasted 14 years."

Re Nobby, Viz comic ran an hilarious strip called 'Nobby's Piles' in which a man - although not Nobby Stiles - would have a page long encounter with potentially dangerous and moving machinery, inevitably using every slang phrase - like: 'Me Vera's are giving me jip' - before ending the story in agony after they'd wrapped themselves round the back tyre of a motorbike or similar.

I've also heard it said that the Japanese flag is really a coded message to pile sufferers, the red spot on a white background and all. And that a severe attack results in narrow eyes and prominent teeth. Dunno if any of our readers would like to comment further. Mebbe leave it there, eh?

Oh aye, and 'Nobby' is short for Norbert, in his case anyway.