themaninblack

The Boys Of '66

Could I bring on Jimmy Greaves as a sub?

If Alf Ramsay had been able to do that and Greavsie had scored, he'd never have drunk so much!

• Like 1

Re Nobby, Viz comic ran an hilarious strip called 'Nobby's Piles' in which a man - although not Nobby Stiles - would have a page long encounter with potentially dangerous and moving machinery, inevitably using every slang phrase - like: 'Me Vera's are giving me jip' - before ending the story in agony after they'd wrapped themselves round the back tyre of a motorbike or similar.

I've also heard it said that the Japanese flag is really a coded message to pile sufferers, the red spot on a white background and all. And that a severe attack results in narrow eyes and prominent teeth. Dunno if any of our readers would like to comment further. Mebbe leave it there, eh?

Oh aye, and 'Nobby' is short for Norbert, in his case anyway.

This is a well-used saying in our house, usually the night after a meat feast pizza or a night on the ale - 'Jesus Mr L, my ass must look like the flag o' Japan'.

And I still subscribe to Viz. Oooo me Chalfonts.

Could I bring on Jimmy Greaves as a sub?

If Alf Ramsay had been able to do that and Greavsie had scored, he'd never have drunk so much!

Or, conversely, he might have drunk twice as much by way of consequent celebration.

Alcoholism is tricky beast to predict.

Cheers,

BHB

Fair point BHB, I'll drink to that.

Re Nobby, Viz comic ran an hilarious strip called 'Nobby's Piles' in which a man - although not Nobby Stiles - would have a page long encounter with potentially dangerous and moving machinery, inevitably using every slang phrase - like: 'Me Vera's are giving me jip' - before ending the story in agony after they'd wrapped themselves round the back tyre of a motorbike or similar.

I've also heard it said that the Japanese flag is really a coded message to pile sufferers, the red spot on a white background and all. And that a severe attack results in narrow eyes and prominent teeth. Dunno if any of our readers would like to comment further. Mebbe leave it there, eh?

This is a well-used saying in our house, usually the night after a meat feast pizza or a night on the ale - 'Jesus Mr L, my ass must look like the flag o' Japan'.

I think that Viz had to stop the Nobby Stiles' piles strip when the World Cup hero threatened to sue.

I think that Viz had to stop the Nobby Stiles' piles strip when the World Cup hero threatened to sue.

Really, some people have no sense of humour, although I must admit Viz isn't as funny as it used to be. But I plod on, year after year, still subscribing in the hope that I will stay young and hip by learning all the Profanisaurus entries.

Not sure about that Pooka. Can't see what case he'd have, the main character wasn't exactly a ringer for the tough tackling half-back. Wiki page, suggests the main reason for the name is the rhyming slang, which would provide a legal defence. Sueing a comic is a hiding to nowt anyway, since they can defend themselves on the grounds they're funny and - therefore - no sane person would take the joke literally. There's a cracking story about Anne Diamond taking Zit to court, winning the case and losing thousands. Oddly, Jackie Charlton was also mentioned in the strip that offended her and thought it hilarious, wanting no part of a legal action.

In a report of Alan Ball's funeral:

And perhaps it was because Ballie was the youngest player that the lines appeared to be etched that much deeper on the faces of his older team-mates from that day.

George Cohen spoke of "How empty and hollow the toast to absent friends would be at our reunion, which is coming up." Sir Bobby Charlton, who has known plenty of tragedy in his life, looked ashen.

His brother Jack, while still an imposingly tall figure, looked frail.

Full Article on BBC

In a report of Alan Ball's funeral:

And perhaps it was because Ballie was the youngest player that the lines appeared to be etched that much deeper on the faces of his older team-mates from that day.

George Cohen spoke of "How empty and hollow the toast to absent friends would be at our reunion, which is coming up." Sir Bobby Charlton, who has known plenty of tragedy in his life, looked ashen.

His brother Jack, while still an imposingly tall figure, looked frail.

Full Article on BBC

It's all getting rather poignant now. They're all geting on a bit and it's geting longer and longer as each championship skips by since English football's finest moment....So much for the much vaunted 'Golden Generation'!

Really? 2007 and they are all still going? I've gone for George Cohen.

The way life is, folk will look at Jimmy Greaves, Nobby Stiles and the Charltons, and then one day Peter Bonetti will randomly cark it. At which point, overnight, he'll suddenly become "the legendary goalkeeper" in English lore.

The way life is, folk will look at Jimmy Greaves, Nobby Stiles and the Charltons, and then one day Peter Bonetti will randomly cark it. At which point, overnight, he'll suddenly become "the legendary goalkeeper" in English lore.

Nah, too many people are still alive who watched us lose that quarter final in Mexico.

He could have been that legendary goalkeeper!

Guest Guest

Gordon Banks has liver cancer it has been announced today.

P.S. Gerry Byrne died earlier this year and Nobby Stiles has dementia and cancer.

Gordon Banks has liver cancer it has been announced today.

P.S. Gerry Byrne died earlier this year and Nobby Stiles has dementia and cancer.

Not liver cancer, kidney (renal) cancer, and he lost one of his kidneys to the same disease a while ago.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/gordon-banks-reveals-hes-battling-7002494

Some updates on there suggesting a 'bout of illness' has recently afflicted Jack Charlton (aged 80) and also that George Cohen has battled bowel cancer.

One of Banks' daughters has offered him a kidney, tests to determine if this is a goer.

• Like 1

Guest Guest

Daily Mirror reports Ray Wilson, Nobby Stiles and Martin Peters all have dementia. Probably Jack Charlton too.

Daily Mirror reports Ray Wilson, Nobby Stiles and Martin Peters all have dementia. Probably Jack Charlton too.

and in a twist it turns out this guest is the one with dementia.

and in a twist it turns out this guest is the one with dementia.

Why?

I can't be asked to verify, partly because my pc objects to being sullied by clickbait redtop websites :banghead: , but I see no reason to doubt the accuracy of it. You have checked and in some way what he says is indeed inaccurate?

Nobby Stiles was diagnosed with Alzheimers in 2012. He also has prostate cancer, health complications since a stroke in 2010, and was reported as "gravely ill" from a combination of the three above last year. Whilst he's not a guaranteed 2016 death, he might prove a useful sleeper hit later this year for, say to pick entirely at random, a team in the DDP top 5 currently.

Also, yes, all three above are reported to have dementia in the DDP friendly Daily Mail. I believe the Wilson story is very old news, but hadn't heard about Peters.

Wiki link to the full squad of 22 - looks like we'll be needing updates from here on in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_FIFA_World_Cup_squads#.C2.A0England

The final itself is still tied at 2-2 in the deadpool stakes, no?

Ball and Moore for England are no more, as are Haller and Emmerich for Germany.

Seems like there's a bit of competition among the English lads to take the lead.

I think Wilson should definitely be included next year if he is still breathing.He has had Alzheimer's for 12 years now and looks quite bad in recent photos.Plus he is 83 next December and could easily develop complications such as a stroke or pneumonia before then.Stiles may also be a good pick next year due to the various things wrong with him.Maybe he could have a spot somewhere at the bottom of the list at like 49 or 50?Peters I don`t know enough about but being diagnosed only 3 years ago with no other known health problems makes me think he could last a fair few years yet.

Watched the BBC documentary 'Alfie's Boys' tonight celebrating 50 years since the World Cup victory. Here's what I can say:

Ray Wilson was only shown in interview clips from a 20th anniversary documentary in 1986, with clips from that also being used to tell stories from Bobby Moore and Alan Ball's point of view. Nobby Stiles' children contributed on behalf of their father, who also appeared in archive clips, but always seemed to refer to him in the past tense, which I assumed meant he was already dead and I'd just forgotten (this thread has put me right) but clearly he's not in a great way.

Contributions came from: Jack Charlton (looked in decent health and still remembered plenty of stories)

Bobby Charlton (may have just been me but appeared to have the tiniest hint of an uncontrollable shake about him - family weren't so sure when I mentioned it afterwards, what does anyone else think?)

Geoff Hurst (looks absolutely fine)

Roger Hunt (fine)

Gordon Banks (seems in good humour and fair health, still got opinions and stories)

George Cohen (seems fine)

Martin Peters (looks the most likely of those seen to go in my book. Told a few stories but seemed quite weak and quiet when compared to the others)

There were also contributions from Jimmy Greaves (who looks very well considering his recent health problems, no idea if he can walk, they were all just shown sat talking to the camera), Ian Callaghan (fine), Norman Hunter (fine) and Jimmy Armfield (looks great for his age). Nothing from Bonetti, Flowers, Paine or Eastham.

I've not linked this back to tabloid stories and rumours about their health, simply based it on what I saw tonight. Clearly Wilson and Stiles are in bad shape, and Peters didn't look great. I think they've all been touted to have issues in the press. Banks and Jack Charlton don't seem too bad yet and most of the rest are still pretty fighting fit.

Greavsie even made a joke we'd be proud of suggesting they need to start a sweepstake on who will be the last man standing, as it will be quite an accolade. Link here to the documentary on iPlayer. 90 minutes and well worth a watch if you're interested in football, or just want to get a head start on researching the 2017 deathpools...

• Like 1

Had to endure 5 mins of this just there on the iPlayer, and the one thing I took from it was....

Kenny Lynch looks fucked.

• Like 2

Had to endure 5 mins of this just there on the iPlayer, and the one thing I took from it was....

Kenny Lynch looks fucked.

He looks whiter than I do!

• Like 2