themaninblack

The Boys Of '66

22 hours ago, Deathray said:

Gordon Banks was on Radio 4 yesterday, hinted that FIFA and the FA may look at flying the surviving members of the squad who are able to go to Russia out. Interesting to think who of the squad could actually go? I count 6 of the 11 could attend?

1. Gordon Banks
  2. George Cohen
  3. Jack Charlton
  4. Bobby Charlton
  5. Geoff Hurst
  6. Roger Hunt

Martin Peters and Nobby Stiles would possibly be too ill (although not impossible) and Bobby Moore, Ray Wilson and Alan Ball are dead.

Stiles and Wilson are way too ill.Roger Hunt also has Alzheimers.

Apparently Geoff Hurst used to organise their re-unions according to Gordon Banks interview with The Evening Standard yesterday but he's no longer able to. So it might only be five that could actually make it, or he might have stopped doing it because some of them are gone now.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/worldcup/if-england-win-the-world-cup-i-hope-players-are-treated-better-by-fa-than-1966-winners-says-gordon-a3883301.html

8 minutes ago, Sean said:

Stiles and Wilson are way too ill.Roger Hunt also has Alzheimers.

Yes, I guess being dead would count as "way too ill" to attend.

Roger Hunt's is in the early stages of going batty though; well enough to give an interview to Warrington Guardian about Jesse Lingard.

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/sport/16346595.roger-hunt-thrilled-for-fellow-warringtonian-jesse-lingard/

Sad news about Gordon Banks dying, would expect us to loose another World Cup Winner from the 66 team this year, think it will be between Jimmy Greaves and Nobby Stiles, will go with Stiles so no doubt it will be someone like Jack Charlton.

• Like 1

On 12/02/2019 at 13:02, Fergie86 said:

no doubt it will be someone like Jack Charlton.

10555664-6768385-image-m-39_155170411934

Jack Charlton got to Banks funeral but looks fucking old.

Mind you, Ross Kemp's really let himself go...

• Like 1

Yet somehow Nobby Stiles is still going when they announced on Final Score that one of the boys from 66 had died thought it was Stiles they were going to say had gone not Peters knew he was ill but thought Stiles would go first. The way things are going he will be the last one standing. 

• Like 1

How many of the 1966 West Germans are still going? My sense is they are doing better in the longevity stakes 

3 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

How many of the 1966 West Germans are still going? My sense is they are doing better in the longevity stakes 

Of the final 11, 9 are still going while only six of Englands are. Three of the German reserves  are gone compared to four of England's.

So five gone to England's nine.

Geoff Hurst is the only one of the England starting XI I'd be confident of being around for most of the next decade. 

• Like 2

RIP Peter Bonneti.

Hopefully Norman Hunter and Jimmy Greaves will not be departing in the near future.

• Like 2

Took me ages to get the Shell 1970 coin with his face on it

rip Peter

Well, Bonetti is gone, Hunter has COVID, Greavsie is in hospital and Nobby is the usual ethernal lingerer. The squad is rapidly vanishing...

• Like 1

I've got both Bonetti and Moss in my DDP. A very sad for them, their families and British Sport as a couple of icons have gone in one day.

• Like 1

I'm was a bit too young to remember but Peter Bonetti played for Dundee United for 1 season in 1979  RIP

pb.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wee Jum said:

I'm was a bit too young to remember but Peter Bonetti played for Dundee United for 1 season in 1979  RIP

pb.jpg

I picked Jim McLean 4-5 years ago for the DDP. He was said to be in ill health back then. Still is, I guess,but also, alive.

24 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I picked Jim McLean 4-5 years ago for the DDP. He was said to be in ill health back then. Still is, I guess,but also, alive.

Think he has dementia, I read somewhere. 

45 minutes ago, Wee Jum said:

pb.jpg

What a disgrace such a legend was not even afforded a full sticker of his own. RIP to the Cat! 

12 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Think he has dementia, I read somewhere. 

Ah yes, mentioned just recently because he got a statue:

"Jim has been ill with dementia for many years now."

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/18350391.neil-cameron-living-legend-jim-mclean-deserves-statue-outside-tannadice/