Gunjaman5000

How Long Until We're Dickless?

The sad passing of NZ Cricketer Dick Motz, duly reported in the 'dead' thread by the always excellent DDT, has made me think that the late Mr Motz must have been one of the last generation of Richards who would willingly call themselves Dick. Judging by the roll of names at Gunjaboy's school, one'd be hard pressed to find a Richard these days let alone a Dick.

Two famous dicks that spring to mind are Dick Cheney, US Vice President and the splendidly named Dick Pound, chairman of the World Anti-Doping Agency.

Are there enough Dicks left to warrant a dead Dick thread?

• Like 1

I think here and now would be a good time to mention the jazz musician Dick Hyman.

The unmarried cricket umpire Dickie Bird, could also be considered as a potential dead dick.

And Dickie Arbiter, is he still alive?

Dick Clark , New Years Eve Presenter , is a Dick on his way out, methinks.

My uncle is a Dick at the relatively young age of 43. Not famous though.

The sad passing of NZ Cricketer Dick Motz, duly reported in the 'dead' thread by the always excellent DDT, has made me think that the late Mr Motz must have been one of the last generation of Richards who would willingly call themselves Dick. Judging by the roll of names at Gunjaboy's school, one'd be hard pressed to find a Richard these days let alone a Dick.

Two famous dicks that spring to mind are Dick Cheney, US Vice President and the splendidly named Dick Pound, chairman of the World Anti-Doping Agency.

There's also the equally splendidly-named (after an instrument of torture?) Irish political figure Dick Spring, but he's only 57 with no previous, sad to say.

There's also the equally splendidly-named (after an instrument of torture?) Irish political figure Dick Spring, but he's only 57 with no previous, sad to say.

Dick Donner, director of 'The Omen' and 'Superman', amongst others...

I think here and now would be a good time to mention the jazz musician Dick Hyman.

The unmarried cricket umpire Dickie Bird, could also be considered as a potential dead dick.

Does Dickie Bird count as it's not his real name. The only other one I can think of is Dickie Davis but I don't think there are any health issues there.

Does Dickie Bird count as it's not his real name. The only other one I can think of is Dickie Davis but I don't think there are any health issues there.

I'd say he should count, it's not as if any of the other above mentioned Dicks have Dick on their birth certificate. Quite why Harold Bird decided he wished to be addressed ad Dickie is beyond me.

It should also be noted that the youngest woman to climb Mount Everest was called Dicky Dolma.

There's Dickie Attenborough, he's 84 this year although I don't know of any health worries.

Then there's always the poor sod who's parents named him Richard Head.

That'd be one of my Grammar School PE Teacher then.

Racing drivers Dickie Attwood & Dick Gibson are still alive, as is child star actor from the 1930's & '40's, Dickie Jones.

I have/had an Uncle Dick, but I have no idea if he's still alive...

Dick Van Dyke, 82 this year.

Nearly, but not quite.

Dick Headley, 69, who has been charged with kidnapping, is reported by the Waikato Times to be in the hospital's cardiac unit in satisfactory condition.

Others missed (of whom I believe are all alive:)

Dick Martin

Dick van Patton

the wonderfully named Dick Trickle, NASCAR racing driver

Dick Cavett

Dick King-Smith

Dick Francis

Dick Fosbury (High jumper, of the fosbury flop)

Dick Advocaat

Dick Sherman

Mjr Dick Winters (Band of Brothers)

Some excellent DL candidates there, especially Francis.

No. it's a crap Dutch football manager who lived in the same town as me a couple of years ago. Not that I knew him personally or anything

Quite appropriate really, since dick is German for "fat"

advocaat_chungsungjun_1.jpg

Which brings me nicely to King Size Dick who as recently as ten years ago failed to die in a fire. You see his posters round here occasionally.

Isn't that a sticky, pale coloured liquid that's hard to swallow?

Dick Advocaat

Which brings me nicely to King Size Dick who as recently as ten years ago failed to die in a fire. You see his posters round here occasionally.

Surely that's Brian Blessed? If not, must be his German cousin!

Guest Guest
Dick Van Dyke, 82 this year.

His fan site (cringe) think he's in fantastic health...

However "Dick Van Dyke is a master of physical comedy. His comic inspiration was Stan Laurel, of Laurel and Hardy fame.(if you're not familiar with Laurel and Hardy please check them out !)" what!!!

Was this thread created just to see how many people would google "sick dick"?

Oops actually forgot to add my contribution. Fear not on the dickless front there is always the surname to consider.

i.e. Julian Dicks. He must only be about 40.

Guest Guest

Brummie bigwig Sir Dick Knowles has helped the world on its way to dicklessness. He won the erection to become head of the Labour-run council in 1984.

Old Chinese proverb say, "be careful when putting your Dicky Knowles, you might get a nasty surprise..."

Guest Guest
Old Chinese proverb say, "be careful when putting your Dicky Knowles, you might get a nasty surprise..."

Does this proverb apply to Nick Knowles as well? I imagine him to be someone who occasionally suffers at the hands of DDP (dirty dick problems).

Uh oh, Dick is sick.

Surf guitar legend Dick Dale, as featured on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack, turns 70 on Friday. Probably lives in Cali and is as fit as a fiddle.

“It is rectal cancer, a large tumor. No touring for a while. I have to undergo 6 weeks of chemotherapy, along with 6 weeks of radiation together. Then I rest and heal for 6 weeks. Then they will cut out the tumor. I will have chemo afterwards to finish up. Then I will kick back and heal. Then I will change the tires and get back on the road. Ha! Keep smiling.”
  • Like 1