Sign in to follow this  
VSBfromH

Peter Andre

Is Jo Bryant still living?

I'd wondered exactly the same thing. Her Tumblr account suddenly stops two months ago, and the website she was working on isn't fully up either. So either she's carked it and nobody's told us, she's incapacitated somehow, or she's just gotten bored of the internet and found something more productive to do.

Grace ESL is apparently receiving care at home right now. I'd assume she gets the requisite obituary, but who knows? The story there was a right-to-die battle, if she's just going to slink off in her sleep one night maybe that isn't news.

In that case, Jo Bryant's off my team which I'm quite pleased about because I want as few nobodies as possible...but I will have a lot of other debatable ones, it might not feel right but I want to compete.

I'm considering removing Grace ESL because she might not get the obituary now the actual story behind her has disappeared...at the moment it's pretty much Anne Williams, Andrew André and Lisa Lynch (sorry Spade, shamelessly stolen...) in the absolute nobody stakes

Lisa Lynch (sorry Spade, shamelessly stolen...)

Lynch is a weird one, she got the captain's armband for my team this year because she came out and said, in November last year, "I have months to live". And it's 13 months later and she's still on this earth and livetweeting X-Factor episodes. From a hospice, admittedly, but still.

Lisa Lynch (sorry Spade, shamelessly stolen...)

Lynch is a weird one, she got the captain's armband for my team this year because she came out and said, in November last year, "I have months to live". And it's 13 months later and she's still on this earth and livetweeting X-Factor episodes. From a hospice, admittedly, but still.

Well, if you're in a hospice there's usually only one place you go after that, and it aint home...

Another thing to consider (read "another thing for me to type instead of doing the job I'm paid to do in my office") is that one way of analysing whether someone is "famous" or not is to consider the question: if this person wasn't terminally ill, and had been struck dead by a car today, would their story have made any of the newspapers?

Grace ESL obviously wouldn't: she has no claim to fame other than the fact her mad parents thing they can pray her back into existence.

Ms Williams? Maybe. If this hadn't been the year that the Hillsborough report came out it'd be very unlikely, but she has had some (minor) newspaper coverage prior to all of this.

Lisa Lynch? I don't know. She was a journalist, she was editor for "Real Homes" for a few years, inkies love writing about their mates at any given opportunity, but she wasn't a newspaper hack, she was a magazine one.

There are more

Another thing to consider (read "another thing for me to type instead of doing the job I'm paid to do in my office") is that one way of analysing whether someone is "famous" or not is to consider the question: if this person wasn't terminally ill, and had been struck dead by a car today, would their story have made any of the newspapers?

That's the big question, assuming we stick to the "death gets written about in reputable news sources" criterion for famousness. I'm not questioning that criterion. I can't think of an alternative, short of a person or committee making the call, which opens a can of worms of its own.

I've often put people from the category "oldest man/woman alive" in my DDP team. They're worth few points, but mortality statistics are stacked against them so much that they're safe bets. They rarely hold the title longer than a year. Besse Cooper did, but she snuffed it just in time to keep my hit rate for them at 100%. Mrs. Manfredini may be a slightly dodgy pick for 2013, although her odds of survival to 2014 are still less than even.

From a DDP perspective there's nothing wrong with such picks, their obits being assured, but DL has shunned such candidates and I think for good reason: little celeb value other than being Very Old. It's pretty close to Famous for Being Famous.

Perhaps I've played DDP too much with a DL attitude by picking interesting celebs.

regards,

Hein

I'm including both him and Hillsborough mother, not enthusiastically, on my team pretty much for the reason of the sake of holding my own like mentioned previously. Other than that I agree completely on much preferring picking people who are famous in their own right, all but one of my other potential picks have fame in their own right albeit some are a bit more obscure than others.

Fair points and all but...we can't second guess the Grim Reaper and we work within the obit qualifying vagueries of the British media. Death will claim us all eventually and - Leveson or not - some of those about whom we feel most squeamish as candidates will be column inches once they go. If I might make a contribution to the debate I'd say real life and rule-bound dead pooling are best kept apart and if we regard our teams the way motIcians regard their day-to-day work that might keep us all sane.

It's my Death Race team that's taking a worse hammering, what with Dina Manfredini as well.

On 28/02/2012 at 21:00, Octopus of Odstock said:

A word of caution with Peter Andre's "ill" relatives - similiar online magazines to the one in DDT's link said that Peter Andre was flying home in December 2009 to be with his terminally ill dad, Savvas. Hence, I thought a decent 2010 pick for the DDP. Not only is Savvas not terminally ill, he only bloody appears on Family F*****g Fortunes in late 2011, flying over from Australia, and looking in the best of health.

Still, that hasn't stopped me adding Andrew to my DDP long list.

Dear old Savvas is still alive, but his wife, Pete's mother is now 'poorly'. If she is as poorly as Savvas was in 2009, then she'll be fine. Link: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/devastated-peter-andre-begged-australian-23273238