post mortem

David Bowie

And Grace Jones....it's all I can do to remember she once had an album in my collection? Are you nuts? She's no fucking national treasure or music/fashion trailblazer that will cause ANYONE to stop and remember where they were when they heard the awful news about Grace goddamn Jones.

I like your rant, mate, but I disagree re Gace Jones. I don't expect people to love her or her work, but I own several of her albums, which I occasionally play and I've seen her play live. She's a good, versatile and very entertaining musician. Her composing skills are so-so at best, I admit.

• Like 1

And Grace Jones....it's all I can do to remember she once had an album in my collection? Are you nuts? She's no fucking national treasure or music/fashion trailblazer that will cause ANYONE to stop and remember where they were when they heard the awful news about Grace goddamn Jones.

I like your rant, mate, but I disagree re Gace Jones. I don't expect people to love her or her work, but I own several of her albums, which I occasionally play and I've seen her play live. She's a good, versatile and very entertaining musician. Her composing skills are so-so at best, I admit.

OK, back on track, same level as Bowie - McCartney, Dylan, Jagger - that's it.

• Like 2

Agree or not, I think there would be a certain level of media coverage/hysteria if Robbie Williams threw a seven.

Bloody sad.A real innovator and genius.I certainly did not expect him to die this year.Had anyone heard any rumours at all?I wonder how many other musicians deaths would get the same amount of news coverage.

I'm glad he was able to keep it quiet if that's what he wanted. A fuck you to the corpse chasing media and indirectly to wankers like us. I reckon there's a few dozen would get similar coverage if they died unexpectedly like Bowie:

• Prince
  • Mick Jagger
  • Jimmy Page
  • Brian May
  • Paul McCartney
  • John Lydon
  • Ringo Starr
  • Bob Geldolf
  • Bono
  • Tina Turner
  • Bob Dylan
  • Bruce Springsteen
  • Surviving Bee Gees
  • Madonna
  • Billy Joel
  • Lars Ulrich
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Lionel Richie
  • Leonard Cohen
  • Bruce Dickinson
  • Elton John
  • Any member of Pink Floyd
  • Roger Taylor (or any member of The Who)
  • Cliff Richard
  • Any member of Abba
what about the two greatest artists of all time Roger Waters and David Gilmore of pink Floyd.
Any one member of U2.
Bono, edge and er......
Alice Cooper, Janet Jackson, Dolly Parton, Rod Stewart, Aretha Franklin, Steven Tyler, Eric Clapton, Grace Jones, Cher, Cyndi Lauper, George Michael, Morrissey...to name few
Oh come on, Dolly Parton was never in U2.
sure she was, she used to be bono's brother

I almost blew milk out me nose.

Cyndi Lauper?!?

I promise no one will give two fucking shits when Cyndi Lauper dies. Jesus....to think you listed her in the same breath as Aretha Franklin! The nerve! And Grace Jones....it's all I can do to remember she once had an album in my collection? Are you nuts? She's no fucking national treasure or music/fashion trailblazer that will cause ANYONE to stop and remember where they were when they heard the awful news about Grace goddamn Jones. Throw Janet Jackson or any Jackson in that boat too--the important one has already croaked. Steven Tyler as well. In fact your whole list save Stewart/Franklin.

Everyone in the music industry didn't rise to Bowie status. Some of you people's suggestions kill me. Like you don't know or realize the difference. I hope your posts were alcohol-driven for your own embarrassment.

SC

Neil Young missing from that list - fuck knows, if the news went mad for Lemmy, Neil Young is an equal force of nature job, surely. I've got tickets to see him this summer (just like the ones I had for Lemmy this month), hope there's no significance in that.

Why is Lars Ulrich - admittedly a great drummer and fairly decent human - on it? He'd get mentioned but hardly lauded left right and centre as and when.

Agree or not, I think there would be a certain level of media coverage/hysteria if Robbie Williams threw a seven.

As there would for Kim Kardashian but how much substance would be in the 1 hour special documentary (there have been at least 3 for example for Frank Sinatra's 100th anniversary).

They weren't even on my radar, love.

• Like 4

+1. Grace is fabulous.

Are you sure she's not a "national treasure" ?

+1. Grace is fabulous.

National treasure, maybe? National fucking looney, definitely.

• Like 1

+1. Grace is fabulous.

I was thinking that as she's from a relatively small country, it's probably easier to achieve both those statuses :D

• Like 1

+1. Grace is fabulous.

I was thinking that as she's from a relatively small country, it's probably easier to achieve both those statuses :D

Jamaica?

Yeah, 99% of the names put forwards would probably have about 4 inches of newspaper page devoted to their passing and 10 seconds of National media news.

There is a world of difference between niche singers/groups and proper world superstars that rarely followed trends because they tended to lead and create them.

Bowie was ageless, Jagger is ageless, McCartney, er well, he was at the head of possibly THE most famous group on the whole wide world.

You really have to fill stadiums and shift MILLIONS of singles and albums worldwide to get a PROPER obit.

• Like 1

Bloody sad.A real innovator and genius.I certainly did not expect him to die this year.Had anyone heard any rumours at all?I wonder how many other musicians deaths would get the same amount of news coverage.

I'm glad he was able to keep it quiet if that's what he wanted. A fuck you to the corpse chasing media and indirectly to wankers like us. I reckon there's a few dozen would get similar coverage if they died unexpectedly like Bowie:

• Prince
  • Mick Jagger
  • Jimmy Page
  • Brian May
  • Paul McCartney
  • John Lydon
  • Ringo Starr
  • Bob Geldolf
  • Bono
  • Tina Turner
  • Bob Dylan
  • Bruce Springsteen
  • Surviving Bee Gees
  • Madonna
  • Billy Joel
  • Lars Ulrich
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Lionel Richie
  • Leonard Cohen
  • Bruce Dickinson
  • Elton John
  • Any member of Pink Floyd
  • Roger Taylor (or any member of The Who)
  • Cliff Richard
  • Any member of Abba
what about the two greatest artists of all time Roger Waters and David Gilmore of pink Floyd.
Any one member of U2.
Bono, edge and er......
Alice Cooper, Janet Jackson, Dolly Parton, Rod Stewart, Aretha Franklin, Steven Tyler, Eric Clapton, Grace Jones, Cher, Cyndi Lauper, George Michael, Morrissey...to name few
Oh come on, Dolly Parton was never in U2.
sure she was, she used to be bono's brother

I almost blew milk out me nose.

Cyndi Lauper?!?

I promise no one will give two fucking shits when Cyndi Lauper dies. Jesus....to think you listed her in the same breath as Aretha Franklin! The nerve! And Grace Jones....it's all I can do to remember she once had an album in my collection? Are you nuts? She's no fucking national treasure or music/fashion trailblazer that will cause ANYONE to stop and remember where they were when they heard the awful news about Grace goddamn Jones. Throw Janet Jackson or any Jackson in that boat too--the important one has already croaked. Steven Tyler as well. In fact your whole list save Stewart/Franklin.

Everyone in the music industry didn't rise to Bowie status. Some of you people's suggestions kill me. Like you don't know or realize the difference. I hope your posts were alcohol-driven for your own embarrassment.

SC

you're taking this too serious

• Like 1

worstbowietributefull.jpg

...weird...

Via Dangerousminds.net

If you’ve ever toiled at a daily newspaper—I worked at the LA Times for a year once—then you’ll know how many layers—copy editors, photo editors, editor editors, graphic designers—are between what you initially write and what ends up on the printed page. Eventually whatever text the original writer got the ball rolling with, is pounded like a sheet of tin into the official “voice” of the publication by many often very opinionated hammers as it is pushed down the assembly line towards the printing presses. At any point, a concerned party might ask “Are you sure about this?” and then perhaps there would be further debate.

And this is what makes this item—ostensibly a fashion tribute to the late David Bowie taken from the pages of a newspaper in New Zealand—all the more perplexing.

Who along the way looked at this at any stage in its production in the hallowed halls of the Timaru Herald and gave the thumbs up?

Take a moment to absorb the magnificent and dumbfounding stupidity of it all. Imagine any workplace conversations that took place before, during and maybe even after this glorious idiocy saw print. It’s not successful on any level. Not as “fashion” reporting, and certainly not as a tribute to one of the greatest fashion icons in all of history. It’s got no information that’s useful, or even entertaining whatsoever. It’s just ludicrous from top to bottom. Arguably there might be worse Bowie tributes out there, but this one, I think you’ll agree is at least, as my mother might say… “different.” Certainly it’s the worst Bowie tribute that Smash Mouth weren’t involved with.

This has to be the BEST Bowie tribute I've seen so far. :D

There's a big part of me which thinks Bowie may have approved.

There's also a big part of me which thinks nothing much ever happens in Timaru.

• Like 3

Well as long as no-one follows up the line from It's No Game: "put a bullet in my brain and it makes all the papers" then we're fine!

By fuck , they're an ugly crowd in Timaru.

I think I'm gonna wear red shoes and dance...

• Like 1

This has Alan Partridge written all over it. Utter genius.

• Like 2

...weird...

Via Dangerousminds.net

If you’ve ever toiled at a daily newspaper—I worked at the LA Times for a year once—then you’ll know how many layers—copy editors, photo editors, editor editors, graphic designers—are between what you initially write and what ends up on the printed page. Eventually whatever text the original writer got the ball rolling with, is pounded like a sheet of tin into the official “voice” of the publication by many often very opinionated hammers as it is pushed down the assembly line towards the printing presses. At any point, a concerned party might ask “Are you sure about this?” and then perhaps there would be further debate.

And this is what makes this item—ostensibly a fashion tribute to the late David Bowie taken from the pages of a newspaper in New Zealand—all the more perplexing.

Who along the way looked at this at any stage in its production in the hallowed halls of the Timaru Herald and gave the thumbs up?

Take a moment to absorb the magnificent and dumbfounding stupidity of it all. Imagine any workplace conversations that took place before, during and maybe even after this glorious idiocy saw print. It’s not successful on any level. Not as “fashion” reporting, and certainly not as a tribute to one of the greatest fashion icons in all of history. It’s got no information that’s useful, or even entertaining whatsoever. It’s just ludicrous from top to bottom. Arguably there might be worse Bowie

out there, but this one, I think you’ll agree is at least, as my mother might say… “different.” Certainly it’s the worst Bowie tribute that Smash Mouth weren’t involved with.

This explains it for people like me who were too thick to get it at first:

A regional newspaper in New Zealand have come up with the most adorable way to pay tribute to the late David Bowie.

Reporters from The Timaru Herald hit the streets to talk to locals – but didn’t ask for their thoughts on the late, great cultural icon.

Instead they asked six locals whose shirt they were wearing – inspired by the lyric ‘And the papers want to know whose shirt you wear’ from Space Oddity.

And by the looks of it, residents of the southern port city aren’t quite as trendy as Mr Bowie was. Big up Shaun from Timaru’s fashion-forward jacket, though.

The off-beat feature from the daily newspaper, which is read by around 31,000 people, was shared on Twitter for the world to see.

Lyric:

This is Ground Control

to Major Tom

You’ve really made the grade

And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear

Now it’s time to leave the capsule

if you dare

Source: http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/15/regional-nz-paper-the-timaru-herald-pays-odd-tribute-to-david-bowie-by-asking-locals-whose-shirt-theyre-wearing-5625083/

I could quite easily imagine that as a feature article in Viz.

I know a few have Christine F in their teams, just pointing out it was Bowie that accompanied her to the German premiere.