post mortem

David Bowie

Dude lives in NYC not UK. So far BBC and a couple sources like Hollywood Reporter running with story. Where the hell are a major American news source (NYTimes seeing as he lives there)?

Anyway surely it's a lost legend if true. Biggest death of 2016 perhaps and we've just gotten started.

SC

Edit: The Times has spoken.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/12/arts/music/david-bowie-dies-at-69.html

"Ashes to Ashes" to be no.1 again. Campaign starts here.

• Like 2

Guest Droosy

An incredibly bad job done by the Deathlist and the Sun who didn´t sniff any trace of cancer in a man resembling a walking skeleton. Huge omission!!

RIP to one of my favorite artists. This is probably the saddest I've been about a celebrity death ever. I suppose it wasn't his style to make an appearance on the Deathlist. While everyone else battling cancer has a publicity circus surrounding it, Bowie instead released an album to herald his passing.

Getting ready for bed, took one last look at Twitter...I see Weird Al's tweet "I feel like the wind has been knocked out of me - I was not ready for this. RIP Bowie." My sentiments exactly. I spent 22 years with a hard core Bowie fan and for some strange reason I'm concerned about how he may be taking the news of his idols' death.

• Like 2

Got my vote

Bit of a contrast with the modern 'celebrity' who tweet every time they take a shit.

• Like 1

Guest Guest

there are not many deaths reported on here that I particularly care about.Even fewer that I shed tears for.Today is a definite exception. David Bowie, musical genius, I salute you :salute:

Shocking death even though I never liked his music.

This really sucks. sorry if anyone was offended by my gag. RIP man you were cool as fuck.

Fuck me, you are in shock.

• Like 6

How about a poll on what type of cancer it was.

Possible: bowel, lung

Unlikely: pancreatic, brain, throat

Guest Guest

you won't need to campaign. it's a given

Going through this thread...there were rumours of liver cancer a while ago. On the other hand, they say that his cancer fight officially lasted 18 months. But could it be that he actually had it, beat it, and then it returned?

I have a gut feeling he had stomach Cancer.
  • Like 1

Shocking death even though I never liked his music.

No. The death itself isn't shocking, it's more people are shocked by the event. There's a difference..

And why am I not surprised you don't/didn't like Bowie's music? rock.gif Don't worry, we'll all hold a minute of silence for your loss when Bieber dies.

At least no longer alladin pain.

By the way, first verse of the final song of his final abum:

I know something is very wrong
The pulse returns for prodigal sons
The blackout's hearts with flowered news
With skull designs upon my shoes

Now with hindsight, he literally said that he was a walking man with terminal illness and a heart problem.

There were a couple of other hints, especially in the song Lazarus, the final video, which, as we know NOW, was meant to be taken literally, i.e. Bowie is literally on his dying bed.

Well, well.. at Lou Reed's death I said that we're entering now the time when the big ones die away. Our modern celebrity culture began with the Beatles or maybe Elvis Presley. Well... Lennon and Presley died unnatural deaths. George Harrison only slightly premature. But Reed at 70, Lemmy at 70, Bowie at 69... The hits will keep on coming. I know Keith RIchards is a vegan now, and Ozzy Osbourne has some genetic mutation, but what about Jagger, Plant/Page, Townsend and so on and on...

• Like 1

Guest Guest

meanwhile Zsa Zsa Gabor sails on toward her 99th birthday. There is no god

All these reports on the news and once have I seen Labyrinth mentioned!! Unacceptable......

• Like 2

Now this is a big and suprising death!

RIP David Bowie

All these reports on the news and once have I seen Labyrinth mentioned!! Unacceptable......

Unacceptable indeed. I had completely forggotten about that flick. There´s no need to remind us.

• Like 2

It's a shame but not surprising considering his previous lifestyle. 69 is a decent age for a 70s rocker. Can imagine this being the year a few of the old boys clock off.

1986 : Underground

2016 : Underground

• Like 1

One of the main Berlin newspapers just reposted their 2002 interview of Bowie about his Berlin days. He talked about wanting to meet Edgar Froese of Tangerine Dream again. Froese, of course, died last year aged 70. And that reminds me that Iggy Pop surely doesn't have much time left. 68 now, so maybe 1-2 years?