faustus

2. Dick Van Dyke

If you were curious, the top 3 are Tom "Draco Malfoy" Felton, Todrick "Taylor Swift's choreographer" Hall and Bethenny "jawbone you could carve Sunday lunch with" Frankel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

If you were curious, the top 3 are Tom "Draco Malfoy" Felton, Todrick "Taylor Swift's choreographer" Hall and Bethenny "jawbone you could carve Sunday lunch with" Frankel.

What was Frankel doing there? Surely he was put out to stud years ago after a successful racing career. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Perhaps underlining how bad a pick this is, I note that Dick Van Dyke apparently earned the fourth most money of any celebrity on Cameo last week. He does charge £830 a pop, but still he's one place ahead of Jason Alexander.

That's criminal. 

Shows how out of touch so many A list celebs are thinking that it's somehow morally right charging that much to record a short clip for a fan.

What also pisses me off are grumpy types like Will Ferrell and John Malkovich who refuse to sign autographs for fans. There are literally clips of some of them embarrassing fans by point blank refusing and then making a fuss over it. I mean, they earn millions. The least they can do is put in the legwork for the people who butter their bread every now and then.

Kudos to some of the others though – George Clooney, John Travolta, Matt Damon, Johnny Depp, Stephen King, all very good with fans and go out of their way to spend time with them. Clearly not just chasing the dollar.

29 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

What was Frankel doing there? Surely he was put out to stud years ago after a successful racing career. 

This is where I kill the joke by pointing out the horse was named after Bethenny's father, the late American trainer and friend of Henry Cecil Robert J. Frankel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

That's criminal. 

Shows how out of touch so many A list celebs are thinking that it's somehow morally right charging that much to record a short clip for a fan.

What also pisses me off are grumpy types like Will Ferrell and John Malkovich who refuse to sign autographs for fans. There are literally clips of some of them embarrassing fans by point blank refusing and then making a fuss over it. I mean, they earn millions. The least they can do is put in the legwork for the people who butter their bread every now and then.

Kudos to some of the others though – George Clooney, John Travolta, Matt Damon, Johnny Depp, Stephen King, all very good with fans and go out of their way to spend time with them. Clearly not just chasing the dollar.

TIL charging people for a service they are willing to pay for is immoral.

Also, TIL celebrities have a moral obligation to sign random things for strangers.

2 minutes ago, Banana said:

TIL charging people for a service they are willing to pay for is immoral.

Also, TIL celebrities have a moral obligation to sign random things for strangers.

You’ve completely missed the point. 

I’m not talking about the small amount of idiots who are willing to pay almost £1K for a short recorded message. Dick v D should be more interested in being accessible to all fans. Making a limited amount of slots per week and randomly  selecting who gets one / charging a minimal fee is far more gracious for a millionaire celebrity.

Also, take your patronising attitude and shove it. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

You’ve completely missed the point. 

I’m not talking about the small amount of idiots who are willing to pay almost £1K for a short recorded message. Dick v D should be more interested in being accessible to all fans. Making a limited amount of slots per week and randomly  selecting who gets one / charging a minimal fee is far more gracious for a millionaire celebrity.

Also, take your patronising attitude and shove it. 

Could you be so gracious to get me my coffee every morning? I don’t want to hear a peep about any sort of payment. 

Celebrities don’t have to kiss the toes of their fans, they don’t owe them anything. 

Jiang Zemin is very kind with his fanbase. We even get a free kidney once in a while.

2 hours ago, Banana said:

Could you be so gracious to get me my coffee every morning? I don’t want to hear a peep about any sort of payment. 

Celebrities don’t have to kiss the toes of their fans, they don’t owe them anything

Apart from, by the very definition, their celebrity.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Apart from, by the very definition, their celebrity.

A celebrity is a famous person. So how exactly does a celebrity owe anything to the fan? The celebrity is the only person providing anything in the relationship. 

• Facepalm 5

11 hours ago, Banana said:

A celebrity is a famous person. So how exactly does a celebrity owe anything to the fan? The celebrity is the only person providing anything in the relationship. 

So the celebrity gets to where they are strictly on their own with zero public appeal?

17 hours ago, Kenny McCormick said:

So the celebrity gets to where they are strictly on their own with zero public appeal?

The celebrity is their own product. You as the fan are consuming the product. People don't just collectively get together and randomly pick out someone off to street to fawn over. I'm a fan of Skittles. Skittles doesn't owe me anything. I'm a fan of Skittles because I enjoy them. 

• Facepalm 2

11 hours ago, Banana said:

The celebrity is their own product. You as the fan are consuming the product. People don't just collectively get together and randomly pick out someone off to street to fawn over. I'm a fan of Skittles. Skittles doesn't owe me anything. I'm a fan of Skittles because I enjoy them. 

So lets say Skittles starts charging 50 quid a packet, would you think that was fair on the consumer? 

1 hour ago, Kenny McCormick said:

So lets say Skittles starts charging 50 quid a packet, would you think that was fair on the consumer? 

If people are willing to pay that then yes. You the consumer are not entitled to anything. The price is set by the market. Undoubtedly, the lower the price the more marketable the product is, but people aren’t just buying skittles because they’re cheap. 

3 minutes ago, Banana said:

If people are willing to pay that then yes. You the consumer are not entitled to anything. The price is set by the market. Undoubtedly, the lower the price the more marketable the product is, but people aren’t just buying skittles because they’re cheap. 

So if a pack of Skittles suddenly jumped from its current price to 50 quid then you wouldn't complain?

56 minutes ago, Kenny McCormick said:

So if a pack of Skittles suddenly jumped from its current price to 50 quid then you wouldn't complain?

The difference is people aren’t going to buy skittles for 50 bucks. People are still paying for a service Dick van Dyke is providing. 

30 minutes ago, Banana said:

The difference is people aren’t going to buy skittles for 50 bucks. People are still paying for a service Dick van Dyke is providing. 

Some people might, assuming Skittles are created in smaller batches that meet the demand for those diehard Skittles fans. 

35 minutes ago, Banana said:

The difference is people aren’t going to buy skittles for 50 bucks.

If Tracey Emin took a dump on them, placed them at the centre of a bell jar and called it "My Lunch" they might.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is like the kind of argument you hear right at the end of the night when everyone’s absolutely fucked out of their head.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

This is like the kind of argument you hear right at the end of the night when everyone’s absolutely fucked out of their head.

Exactly what I was thinking but you put it in a much better way. 

15 hours ago, Banana said:

This is a thick as shit explanation masquerading as intelligent thought.

15 hours ago, Banana said:

Skittles (or any other popular item of confectionery) doesn't put itself into the public eye though.

11 hours ago, Kenny McCormick said:

Some people might, assuming Skittles are created in smaller batches that meet the demand for those diehard Skittles fans. 

That’s my point. 

9 hours ago, Toast said:

Skittles (or any other popular item of confectionery) doesn't put itself into the public eye though.

I don’t see why this is relevant. Celebrities provide a service (entertainment). You (the fan) are the consumer. You aren’t a fan of something unless you don’t enjoy which you are a fan of. Celebrities are just normal people and somehow people struggle to realize this. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Banana said:

You aren’t a fan of something unless you don’t enjoy which you are a fan of.

confused-gif.gif

• Haha 3

Another thread with one person banging a drum to their own beat and absolutely everyone else banging their heads on a desk.

It's a simple enough, as @RoverAndOut has already pointed out about as concisely as possible.

It's a symbiotic relationship, the very thing that makes you a celebrity is having an audience that appreciates what you do.

You can't be a celebrity without an audience of 'fans'. It's an unequal relationship to be sure, but without one you cannot have the other.

What the hell skittles has to do with all this I have no idea, it's an awful analogy if that was the intention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2