faustus

2. Dick Van Dyke

32 minutes ago, Comped said:

I would keep him somewhere within my top 60-70 or so. He's not at imminent risk of death enough to make it into my top 50, and besides being old seems to be a great candidate to make it to 2025 at least. #2 is kind of a joke.

I wonder what the committees obsession with him is? David Attenborough is only five months younger and got got from this year's list.

• Like 4

On 02/12/2023 at 12:14, The Old Crem said:

Why do people think his accent in Mary Poppins is bad. I am from London and it is actually a good accent. 

It's an accent alright, just not very cock-er-nay!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dimreaper said:

I wonder what the committees obsession with him is? David Attenborough is only five months younger and got got from this year's list.

I do agree with you.. Even though I like Dick VanDyke as an entertainer, and he deserves his spot on the list. David Attenborough deserves credit for his contributions to society as well.

33 minutes ago, livingbygrace said:

Even though I like Dick VanDyke as an entertainer, and he deserves his spot on the list. David Attenborough deserves credit for his contributions to society as well.

That's not what it's about though. Obviously both pass the notability test, but it's the likelihood of their death this year.

Attenborough is looking noticeably frailer of late, and his voice is weaker.

DVD seems in much better health, but a fall could change all that, or he could just keel over with a stroke or heart attack, anything's possible at that age.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Toast said:

That's not what it's about though. Obviously both pass the notability test, but it's the likelihood of their death this year.

Attenborough is looking noticeably frailer of late, and his voice is weaker.

DVD seems in much better health, but a fall could change all that, or he could just keel over with a stroke or heart attack, anything's possible at that age.

CBS think Dick Van Dyke might die soon by giving him an 98th  birthday celebration. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

15 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

CBS think Dick Van Dyke might die soon by giving him an 98th  birthday celebration. 

I thought the same thing but then I just saw him in an interview and he looked and sounded as well as someone on the precipice of a century can look.  It could very well be, however, that he is unwell which is why CBS chose to honor him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BelieveTheLie said:

I thought the same thing but then I just saw him in an interview and he looked and sounded as well as someone on the precipice of a century can look.  It could very well be, however, that he is unwell which is why CBS chose to honor him.

It could just be that CBS realize they hadn't done anything for him in years and would rather do something while he was 100% alive rather than when he's dead. They've been caught out before after all.

• Like 2

My first movie in a theater was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I annoyed my whole family for weeks later still singing the songs from the movie. Still one of my favorites as well as Dick Van Dyke being one of my favorite actors. I hope he lives forever!

• Like 3

On 02/09/2023 at 23:25, Undead In Ohio said:

Dick Van Dyke started airing on Days of Our Lives this past Friday. The below screencap with Bill Hayes and Susan Seaforth Hayes is from this Monday's episode. This episode was filmed 5 or 6 months ago, so both Van Dyke And Hayes were still 97 at the time. There was a video of Bill Hayes still walking around on Facebook after this was filmed so he is not as of yet permanently confined to a wheelchair.

tzyV2Xc.png

The wonderful gentleman who recently acted with Dick van Dyke on "Days of Our Lives," Bill Hayes, is now dead at 98.  Interestingly enough, the first thing I thought of when he died was not his soap opera work but the fact that he was mentioned in this thread. I knew in that moment that I had to update the British blokes on the DeathList about this. As far as I know, Mr. van Dyke is still alive, thank goodness.

• Like 3

Not everyone who makes a YouTube video reaches 100 though…

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Of course it is very possible that he could live well into his 100's and even become a supercentenarian but as so often happens it only takes a fall or flu/chest infections at DVD's age and could be a goner in a heartbeat. In March 2017 my grandfather had what appeared to be a common cold and was still relatively active. Within 2 weeks he passed away with pneumonia at the age of 79.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Steve said:

Of course it is very possible that he could live well into his 100's and even become a supercentenarian but as so often happens it only takes a fall or flu/chest infections at DVD's age and could be a goner in a heartbeat. In March 2017 my grandfather had what appeared to be a common cold and was still relatively active. Within 2 weeks he passed away with pneumonia at the age of 79.

yep, trying to figure out if he's gonna be alive in 12 years based on a video is absolutely useful :) 

4 hours ago, jondarru said:

He will reach the 100th for sure 

Apparently he still does this several years later...

He will pass away in the next few weeks...

Source: Trust me bro

33 minutes ago, Comped said:

Apparently he still does this several years later...

I think he still surfs as well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Reddit thread with photo, him going to the gym:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/s/ddZxYcHrFL

Building and maintaining muscle is very important at high age. I'll attempt the same.

He will outlive Jimmy.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

RIP Dick...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, gcreptile said:

RIP Dick...

A horrifying injury.

• Haha 2