M.Lawrenson

Lester Piggott

This article was from May and he was out and about in Ireland signing books and watching horse racing. Looks thin but probably better than John Hurt. I would be inclined to drop him for 2017.

He's always been thin, gaunt even. It's a bit of a mystery why he was picked, unless there was an unfounded rumour of ill-health.

His defence during tax evasion charges argued brain damage from repeated falls meant he couldn't comprehend the complexities of his earnings. That's the major health issue related to him. But it might be an Ernest Saunders kind of brain problem, eh?

I wouldn't underestimate Lester in the Cunning Stakes :D

As for falls, he was a Flat jockey although he did begin his racing career over hurdles IIRC. I daresay he may have had a few falls over the course of his career, but while falls are regular occurrences for NH jockeys, falls in Flat races are pretty rare. In other words, it's all bollocks.

Why was he on here instead of Howard Marks again?

Lester was at today's Derby chatting to the Queen and looking in fine fettle along with Joe Mercer (82) and Willie Carson (74). All three look in good health for their age. Weird to think that these guys have easily outlived the likes of Eddery and Swinburne. 

6 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Lester was at today's Derby chatting to the Queen and looking in fine fettle along with Joe Mercer (82) and Willie Carson (74). All three look in good health for their age. Weird to think that these guys have easily outlived the likes of Eddery and Swinburne. 

God dammit, I thought he was dead for a minute. 

2 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

God dammit, I thought he was dead for a minute. 

Wonder if he had an out of body experience? 

Lester's down under for the Melbourne Cup.  Looking quite spry.

Lester_Piggott_-_Melbourne_Cup_-_Racingf

• Like 2

Lester turned up in a recently filmed documentary on the fate of Shergar tonight - no more lined than yer average 82 year old who's recovered from a heart condition. No sign of the brain damage they claimed as mitigation in his tax evasion case either. Memories of Shergar appeared fairly clear.

12 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Lester turned up in a recently filmed documentary on the fate of Shergar tonight - no more lined than yer average 82 year old who's recovered from a heart condition. No sign of the brain damage they claimed as mitigation in his tax evasion case either. Memories of Shergar appeared fairly clear.

Clare Balding also appeared reminiscing about  "daddy's horse " finishing second to Shergar in the 1981 Derby. Both she and Lester are in my list.

Sad to think that the jockey ,Balding mentioned,John Matthias died earlier this year.

Lester was handing out the trophies at Haydock today partly as it was the 70th anniversary of his first winner on a Racecourse. He doesn’t look bad for an 82 year old and hasn’t obviously aged much in the past ten years. There’s a photo of him in this article https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/other-sport/horse-racing/teodoro-wins-smarkets-betting-exchange-15011884

• Like 1

Jack Berry!  Didn't realise he was still alive.  Still likes his red shirts, I see.

14 hours ago, Drewsky1211 said:

:birthday: 83 today! :birthday:

Still winning!

A classic quote especially as he’s now 83 - "He's in good shape considering he's been abusing his body since he was 16”! 

Released from hospital after 2 weeks and fitted with a pacemaker. Presumably he is used to pacemakers being a jockey. 

• Like 1

s-l300.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Toast said:

s-l300.jpg

Stud and Stable.

Now that's what I want from a Government! :lol:

• Haha 1

On 18/12/2018 at 00:50, YoungWillz said:

Stud and Stable.

Now that's what I want from a Government! :lol:

Boris "I don't even know how many kids I've sired" de-Pfeiffel Wall-Spaffer Johnson not enough of a stud?

15 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

He's had a statue erected of him in Wantage and turned up for the unveiling. Doesn't look bad for a permanently-malnourished 83 year old https://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/news/17849290.lester-piggott-39-s-wantage-statue-39-magnificent-39-ahead-exhibition/

Ah yes, I was tempted to go to that until I read that it wasn't going to be a public event.  I shall pop along to the exhibition though.

I was a bit knackered anyway from getting up at sparrowfart to watch them blow up Didcot Power Station - and amusingly, as a bonus, an electricity pylon close to which two of my friends were standing  :lol:  Took out half of Oxfordshire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, En Passant said:

Boris "I don't even know how many kids I've sired" de-Pfeiffel Wall-Spaffer Johnson not enough of a stud?

He's not a stud.

He's a fud.

Legend!!!!! The greatest sportsman of all time. Hes not quite as marketable as Ali or Beckham but more of a man than either.

• Like 1

Has an interview in the Racing Post today and is looking very yellow in what is presumably a fairly recent photograph which isn't a great sign for someone in their 80s. 

• Like 1

Said picture:

EZaxEPuXkAE4Zfh?format=jpg&name=4096x409