Arnold

Ned Sherrin

Ned has been absent from Radio 4 for months now due to what has been termed a "paralysed vocal cord". He has been replaced both on Loose Ends and Counterpoint since before Christmas. There are a lot of mutterings (I can put it no stronger than that) that he is in fact quite seriously ill. Does anyone have any more information? I'll try to find out more.

You dig away, Arnold. It is a little strange not to hear the old fruit on R4, there must be something fairly major up.

According to this article it's something to do with his vocal cords, can't find any more info though.

It could be cancer, a problem with people who push their vocal chords. Growths are a problem for singers and others and - sometimes - turn malignant. One sufferer who had a vocal cord removed was Roy 'Chubby' Brown, though his smoking didn't help.

It could be cancer, a problem with people who push their vocal chords. Growths are a problem for singers and others and - sometimes - turn malignant. One sufferer who had a vocal cord removed was Roy 'Chubby' Brown, though his smoking didn't help.

According to his wiki page (I know, I know), he has 'paralysed vocal cord' so no help there.

As for Roy 'Chubby' Brown - the obvious question is why did they stop at one??

Beg to differ there TT. I think the obvious question with him and Bernard Manning is why did men with a natural talent so embarrassingly obvious squander so much of it on the easy pay-day? Kinda like all the lame Elvis albums. RCB is genuinely a talented performer with a gift for acting a role. I'd say you can take him from Teeside and Jail but you can't take either from him.

Beg to differ there TT. I think the obvious question with him and Bernard Manning is why did men with a natural talent so embarrassingly obvious squander so much of it on the easy pay-day? Kinda like all the lame Elvis albums. RCB is genuinely a talented performer with a gift for acting a role. I'd say you can take him from Teeside and Jail but you can't take either from him.

The all the more reason to make an example of him, pour encourager les autres. Is it not a far worse crime to squander a talent than to have none in the first place?

The all the more reason to make an example of him, pour encourager les autres. Is it not a far worse crime to squander a talent than to have none in the first place?

Aye, mebbe. But where do you draw the criminal line? I mean, there's wit and wisdom on these threads better than words for which people are paid hard cash. Are we in there with RCB and Manning?

Ned has been absent from Radio 4 for months now due to what has been termed a "paralysed vocal cord". He has been replaced both on Loose Ends and Counterpoint since before Christmas. There are a lot of mutterings (I can put it no stronger than that) that he is in fact quite seriously ill. Does anyone have any more information? I'll try to find out more.

I was looking around the bottom of the forum looking at all the threads i ahve missed ove rthe last few months when I came across this thread.

Saw NS in a butchers shop at the World's End,Chelsea a few weeks ago.He was buying pork ges (possible effect on the heart?) and lokkede quite spry for a man in his, I guess, late 70's.

Saw NS in a butchers shop at the World's End,Chelsea a few weeks ago. He wa.s buying pork ges

This clearly is a London or a luvvie speciality of which I am unaware.

What are pork ges?

:huh:

Saw NS in a butchers shop at the World's End,Chelsea a few weeks ago. He wa.s buying pork ges

What are pork ges?

:huh:

My mishtake, assume that he was buying "pork sausages". Sorry.

What are pork sausages?

I have but a potato & cabbage in my rural world :huh::P

I was beginning to worry that it was something new- I hadn't even heard of a psion until Harry mentioned it the other day. Also my father asked me, last week, what is a MP4 player? I looked at him blankly. The only MP fore-player I've ever heard of is David Mellor.

Oddly, the old lush and party type attended Sexey's School. Honest, I'm not making it up or owt. So me may well be a member of the Association of Old Sexeians.

Old Ned has popped off.

Here's a link

and so my list for 2008 gets shorter every day

Left some loose ends.

I was looking around the bottom of the forum looking at all the threads i ahve missed ove rthe last few months when I came across this thread.

Saw NS in a butchers shop at the World's End,Chelsea a few weeks ago.He was buying pork ges (possible effect on the heart?) and lokkede quite spry for a man in his, I guess, late 70's.

i guess the pork must have been off.. :D