VSBfromH

London 2012 Olympics

Women weightlifters can lift 100KG....

But can't pick up a razor.

Women weightlifters can lift 100KG....

But can't pick up a razor.

Well I'm not going to tell 'em!!

I might be wrong here, but why aren't we called team UK? Surely Northern Ireland comes under the UK banner?

I might be wrong here, but why aren't we called team UK? Surely Northern Ireland comes under the UK banner?

It's something to do with if we were called Team UK we would be claiming Northern Ireland as our own which technically it is but some in the world see it as a disputed territory. Also competitors form northern Ireland can represent either team GB or Ireland which I never knew only found out a couple of days ago when watching the boxing . The boxer paddy barnes was born and raised in UK in Belfast but chose to represent Ireland instead.

For example if someone born in the UK (other than Northern Ireland) must prove they have Irish heritage to represent them at international level,whereas anyone born in northern Ireland don't have to prove they have Irish heritage to represent Ireland at the Olympics ,im not sure if the same applies to football and other sports though.

Think it might be something to do with if we were called Team Uk we would be claiming Northern island as our own which technically it is but some in the world see it as a disputed territory. Also competitors form northern island can represent team GB or Ireland . Like the boxer paddy barnes born and raised in UK in Belfast but chose to represent Ireland instead.

Isn't Northern Island part of New Zealand?

Think it might be something to do with if we were called Team Uk we would be claiming Northern island as our own which technically it is but some in the world see it as a disputed territory. Also competitors form northern island can represent team GB or Ireland . Like the boxer paddy barnes born and raised in UK in Belfast but chose to represent Ireland instead.

Isn't Northern Island part of New Zealand?

I have no idea how you saw my first edit , i don't think i even posted it. I must of posted it by accident while I was half way though writing it I guess.

Between all the medal counting, territory disputing, who has the right anthem and who's doping bullshit, sometimes little things that happen off the Olympic radar are the most important.

I can't post the picture because it isn't my kid, but I work with a guy who lives outside London and got tickets to the rowing. He and his daughter saw Katherine Copeland win a gold. When my friend and his daughter were leaving they saw Kat and stopped to congratulate her. Kat asked my friend's daughter (who's about 11) if she would like to wear the medal. I have the most amazing picture of my friend's daughter - with Kat Copeland - and you have never seen an 11 year old more over the moon and grinning hugely, wearing an Olympic gold medal and standing next to an Olympian.

I'm not a fan of the Olympics at all but that picture really, really got to me. It was quite amazing - you can see the child's excitement coming off the picture. I wish I could share it with you, but I at least wanted to share the story.

we would be claiming Northern Ireland as our own which technically it is ,im not sure if the same applies to football and other sports though.

No technically about it, the reason is Team GB is also open to athletes from the 3 Crown dependencies and British Overseas Territories that do not have their own National Olympic Committee. The same applies to football (and is a bit of a sore point with "glory hunters" jumping ship!) and other sports as everyone in NI has dual nationality if they so wish.

Cough.

regards,

Hein

Of course this was going to happen. This is because it's a sport that doesn't involve sitting down or wearing pyjamas...or horses walking sideways for that matter. :)

Just an idea, like...

If some bunch of 9/11 stylee party-crashers brought an airliner down on the closing ceremony tomorrow night, there'd be a fair chance that Ennis, Farah and a few of the others could clean up in the paralympics too!

• Like 1

medal table 'per capita' and gold medals 'per capita' tables.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/londonspy/olympic-medal-per-capita-table-125300447.html

im surprised I thought team GB would be higher on the gold medal 'per capita' table.

Always wondered why they don't have a doped up Olympics.Lets see just how fast they can run or fly the Drug manufacturers could sponsor it and sure would look good .

• Like 1

Always wondered why they don't have a doped up Olympics.Lets see just how fast they can run or fly the Drug manufacturers could sponsor it and sure would look good .

The same is seriously suggested from time to time, and would probably amount to the most level playing field available to the world's athletes. It'd also be a shoo-in for us when those running sub three and a half minute miles suffered massive cardiac arrests in early middle age and announced themselves on our radar.

They did. In 1988...

• Like 1

The closing ceremony was...adequate. Took the Rio contingent 10 minutes to upstage everyone else!

I thought they were a fantastic games. Me and my sister went to see the athletics and the football at Wembley on the same day!!

Knackering but worth it...

Well the Dutch would win all the bike events...

• Like 1

This man .. sorry i mean woman Nadzeya ostapchuk has been stripped of her gold medal. I remember when she won there was loads of insults about her looking like a man.

I guess we know why she looks like a man now all the steroids she pumped into her body.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ympics/19242736

Well the Dutch would win all the bike events...

Unless Lance Armstrong entered

Last week I was in Tokyo which is a candidate city for the 2020 games (imo a shoe-in since the other contenders are Madrid (broke) and Istanbul (dangerous)). If the bid is successful I think someone should celebrate by reminding everyone of Japan's contribution to World cinema by making a new film Godzilla vs Wenlock.

Well Tokyo has been awarded the 2020 games so obviously amongst the considerations of the IOC is not which city is most likely to be attacked by Godzilla.

Well Tokyo has been awarded the 2020 games so obviously amongst the considerations of the IOC is not which city is most likely to be attacked by Godzilla.

I'd think Japan, and so Tokyo, has a radiant future. It seems that future has also escaped the IOC's attention.

regards,

Hein