Catherine

Rosemary Kennedy

Surely poor Rose doesn't have long left? 84, I believe and still institutionalised after her lobotomy.

She was born developmentally disabled. Her father reportedly had her lobotomised when she began showing a natural but embarrassing interest in boys. There's yer family values.

A rich politician's kid with half a brain? Now there's a turn up for the books.

It's true about the Kennedy's being the closest thing the septics have to royalty then.

Guest Advisor

Rosemary Kennedy who is 86 and has been Instutionilized since 1941 \ shes also had a failed lobodomy. Should she be a possible cannidate for 2005?

[i have merged your post with a previous thread about Rosemary, posted by like-minded people! - DWB]

I really feel sorry for Rosemary. She had a life and her no good daddy stole it away from her. :referee: Out of all the Kennedy's, she's the one my heart goes out to. I never understood why Ted or any of them didn't get her out after the old man died. If she's like her mother, she may live to be 100 years old. What a sad way for her to live her entire life.

Guest Tom
<_< Her Daddy was a BIG Yuk!!

Rosemary Kennedy who is 86 and has been Instutionilized since 1941 \ shes also had a failed lobodomy. Should she be a possible cannidate for 2005?

Candidate for what? Ther US Presidential elections have been already <_<

i said it before i will say it again put old teddy on the list.

i said it before i will say it again put old teddy on the list.

Hey, less of the old!! :angry:

How many Rose Kennedys are there? (seeing as the Death List notched off, erm, Rose Kennedy in 1995). My knowledge of the Kennedys is a little flaky...

Guest Special Ed Advocate

When I think about poor Rosemary Kennedy, it makes me sick to my stomach that a family would turn their back on someone with special needs. And I hope she lives to be 100! Why don't the Kennedy clan at LEAST let the American public see them embrace a family member with special needs? It's shitty the way she's treated, if you ask me! And YES, I have a sister-in-law who has special needs, but I swear on a stack of Bibles that she has the most sense in my family!

Guest <breaking news>

JEFFERSON, Wis. (AP) U.S. Sen. Edward Kennedy's office says his sister Rosemary Kennedy, who was born mentally retarded and lived most of her life in an institution, has died.

Guest dslizzle

Rosemary Kennedy has passed on.

Guest Eevi

It's sad that the Kennedy family had to hide their sister all these years, but now she is in a better place. God be with her.

The really sad part about this, is that it was her father's self centeredness, and conceit, that led to poor Rosemary's state. Had she been left alone she would have grown into the person she was meant to be, not the vegetable he made her become. How sad. :blink:

Guest nancy

Rest in the peace that you so deserve Rosemary! :blink:

Guest an observer

Rest in Peace Rosemary Kennedy

Guest Kennedy Admirer

How sad. Seeing news of her death on cnn.com brought me to tears. It reminds us how we won't always have Joe and Rose's kids with us, and that is so hard.

Guest oshabb

Rosemary, you are in a better place now. I have three mentally disabled children and I hope it makes you happy to hear that I don't hide them. They go everywhere with me, regardless of what other people think. If only you could have done and seen the things that they are. :blink:;)

Guest ROSEMARY KENNEDY

HOW SAD IT WAS THE WAY THAT THIS WOMAN HAD TO LIVE OUT THE REST OF HER LIFE AFTER HER SELFISH SORRY FATHER HAD A LOBOTOMY PREFORMED ON WHAT SHE WAS THEN, JUST A MILDLY RETARTED GIRL, AND MADE A VEGEATBLE OUT OF HER INSTEAD. WHAT A JERK OFF HE WAS. MAY SHE REST IN PIECE UNDER GOD WINGS. ITS JUST SO VERY SAD.

I HOPE THAT TYPE OF SURGERY NO LONGER GOES ON ON THIS PLANET!!!! :blink: .

;)

It's really sad that Rosemary has passed on. She is now the latest addition to a long list of dead Kennedy's. Some people actually believe that there is a curse on the Kennedy family. :blink:

Rosemary Kennedy dies at 86

Guest A friend

Rosemary lived a much loved life at St. Coletta of Wisconsin. She had many friends, a beautiful home, wonderful, caring staff plus many loving family members who made sure she enjoyed life to the fullest. It is not exactly a curse to die at age 86. She was not 'hidden' but rather allowed to live with privacy and dignity, without the constant public scrutiny the family deals with continually.

Guest Anonymous

Actually, while the family's treatment of Rosemary was at best bungled in the early years, the family was much more forthright about her situation by the 1950s, and this was in fact the springboard for the Kennedy family's championing of special needs children, the Special Olympics, and a host of other noble social action items in this regard. Rose Kennedy and other family members talked openly in interviews in the 1950s about this, and the effect was electrifying to people like my family who had special needs kids: this was the birth of the whole movement. Rosemary Kennedy's life had possibly more influence to the good than that of any other family member on the ordinary lives of distressed Americans. RIP.

Guest gwen

Sweet Rosemary, eventhough you were hidden away and I say that because a lot of people do not know that you even existed, you are now in a better place where a star will always shine in the heavens. And that will be you, Rosemary, sitting next to the Lord as an angel. My most sincere condolences to the remaining Kennedy clan. RIP.

Guest david

May Rosemary rest in peace and my the Shrivers keep on with the Special Olympics in her memory.

Guest Guest

I never knew of Rose Kennedy up until now. After reading her short history now I know why she was hidden. It is so sad that a father would do such a thing. Her dad was such a control freak and was so afraid of what others thought of him that he basically murdered her spirit and carried out plans of demolishing her brain. People like this should go to jail. Freeman was the one who performed the lobotomy and "Freeman's son contends that Rosemary was not retarded - a point he made in a letter to The Washington Post in answer to a story El-Hai wrote for the paper. 'Ms. Kennedy suffered brain damage from encephalitis,' he wrote." So at 23 her mild condition was probably just a small obstacle compared to the failed lobotomy that truely disabled her for the rest of her life. Was the Kennedy father ever approached about this? Did he even feel guilty?