maryportfuncity

Missing In Action

So those MISSING baloonists and now PRESUMED DEAD.

Quite dead!

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Article/201012115848431

Richard Abruzzo of Albuquerque in New Mexico and Carol Rymer Davis of Denver, Colorado, went missing over the Adriatic Sea on September 29. The pair, aged 47 and 65 respectively, had been taking part in the 54th Gordon Bennett Gas Balloon Race when they lost contact with officials. The Americans had set off from Bristol with 20 other balloonists on September 25. Four days later the duo sent out a mayday, telling coastguards they were losing height rapidly and ditching off the Gargano coast in southern Italy. Search crews looked for the veteran balloonists for nearly a week before deciding their aircraft had plunged into the water.

Commander Guido Limongelli of the port of Vieste in southern Italy said a trawler found the balloon cabin and the bodies of the Americans still on board. He said documents found in the craft confirmed who they were but the bodies have been taken to a local hospital for formal identification. At the time they disappeared there were suggestions the balloon had been struck by lightning as severe storms were affecting the area. The annual balloon race sees teams competing to see who can fly the farthest from a set point on a maximum of about 1,000 cubic metres (35,300 cubic feet) of gas.

This year's winners were Swiss team Kurt Frieden and Pascal Witpraechtiger, who covered 2,431.31km (1,510.75 miles) and landed in Constanta, Romania after 53 hours. The race website showed the American team in last place with the comment "no result". After Abruzzo and Davis disappeared, race director Don Cameron said: "The rate of descent at the last moment was about 50mph (80km/h). "If that's correct it's very pessimistic news." An inquiry is expected to be held into the tragedy by the race organisers. Abruzzo's father Benjamin was also a balloonist and he died in an air crash in 1985 aged 54.

• Like 1

One of the longest and most celebrated missing persons searches could just be about to end. Finger bone found in the most likely location may belong to...Amelia Earhart.

Joanna Yeates surely deserves our attention. You often get a hunch about these things. I mean, that bride murdered by car jackers in Sth Africa, her husband's favourite rent boy...that husband might be innocent until proven otherwise but if we had a tenner to bet......'nuff said.

This one is much more curious, I'd say either dead as a result of tanging with somebody she knew and (mistakenly) trusted or suffering some kind of stroke or similar, wandering off and - probably - dead.

I think it was her boyfriend.

Of all the times to disappear, it had to happen while he was 'away for the weekend'...unless one of her pervy friends knew he was out of town of course.

Of all the times to disappear, it had to happen while he was 'away for the weekend'...unless one of her pervy friends knew he was out of town of course.

I don't think you're alone in your theory.

Does anyone else find the dad a bit creepy or is that just me?

He was quite keen to be 'relieved' that they found her body. I think it might be the acquaintance theory. We all have secrets. And its funny all this has happened while

the cat was away...

No, its not just you.

No, its not just you.

Now the landlord has been arrested. He looks a bit creepy.

No, its not just you.

Now the landlord has been arrested. He looks a bit creepy.

He looks very creepy.

Well I think I was wrong about the boyfriend then, the landlord looks properly dodgy. Like someone off Midsomer Murders or summink.

Well I think I was wrong about the boyfriend then, the landlord looks properly dodgy. Like someone off Midsomer Murders or summink.

Point taken Lardy!

Having read some news profiles on the creepy landlord, I don't think he did it. Most of the papers seem more mesmorised by his dodgy hair - except for 'the Sun', who are more proud of the fact that they found out he bought his flats from a convicted paedophile in 1999.

Its interesting to note that the media have reported all off this information even before the man has been charged with the crime. If he is found innocent of this crime, you can bet that the Sun will be doing everything the can do to have him convicted for being a paedophile. He was a teacher afterall...

Nah, I don't think it's him, either. He does strike me as the type with the potential to be a bit bolshie though, so perhaps he's got himself nicked for not being cooperative.

I hope non of the future jury are reading this because I think he IS GUILTY. Stands to reason, she was a sensible girl, the murder took place away from witnesses and there's virtually no other lead available or the police would be chasing it. My guess is DNA evidence etc is starting to point his way, the police are convinced he killed her in the flats and in the end he'll crack under the mounting weight of evidence. Or summat. I can take it we've ruled out suicide since you tend to wake up having lost consciousness in attempts to strangle yourself!

Chris Jeffries 'obsessed with death'.

I wonder if he is one of ours? :o

I wonder if he is one of ours? :o

It's only a matter of time I reckon until deathlist is mentioned in connection with a murder.

I wonder if he is one of ours? :P

Probably. I'd start by investigating who on here is a Chistina Rossetti fan... :o

I bet the journos were thrilled this morning when today's press conference produced its latest piece of hot evidence - a sock - retrieved no doubt from the gum tree up which the police seem to be. The sock in the frame, however, is not the sock that interests them. That sock is missing. The one held up for the cameras is a sock not unlike one that is missing.

So now it has become the case of the missing pizza, the missing pizza box and the missing sock. What would Miss Marple have made of this? Those who were pointing to Col Mustard with the lead pipe in the drawing room might have to revise their theories. Or is the sock a red herring?

The list of personalities populating the murder investigation is also beginning to resemble an Agatha Christie cast. Whodunnit? Was it the mad teacher, the shifty-looking flat owner, the seemingly innocent boyfriend or someone else entirely? Someone, perhaps, walking about right now wearing a single grey sock.

I bet the journos were thrilled this morning when today's press conference produced its latest piece of hot evidence - a sock - retrieved no doubt from the gum tree up which the police seem to be. The sock in the frame, however, is not the sock that interests them. That sock is missing. The one held up for the cameras is a sock not unlike one that is missing.

So now it has become the case of the missing pizza, the missing pizza box and the missing sock. What would Miss Marple have made of this? Those who were pointing to Col Mustard with the lead pipe in the drawing room might have to revise their theories. Or is the sock a red herring?

The list of personalities populating the murder investigation is also beginning to resemble an Agatha Christie cast. Whodunnit? Was it the mad teacher, the shifty-looking flat owner, the seemingly innocent boyfriend or someone else entirely? Someone, perhaps, walking about right now wearing a single grey sock.

I read that they were going through tons of garbage to try and find this pizza box. Was Jo the only person in Bristol who ate Tesco pizzas?

Do they know if she ate any of the pizza? Surely during the post mortem they would have checked the contents of her stomach.

As far as whodunnit, I think it had to be someone who knew her boyfriend was out of town. The fact that there seems to have been no sexual motives (except a possible foot fetish) makes me think that it was more likely a woman or a gay man. I'd be looking for a woman or gay man who is obsessed with Jo's boyfriend, and who is now giving him a shoulder to cry on in a deranged attempt to get him into bed.

Mrs Marple can put that in her pipe and smoke it.

Good detective work thus far but...

Have we ruled out contract killing financed by an unemployed landscape archictect?

Not even a sock this morning. It's all getting a bit thin. Surely the combined intellects of Deathlisters can crack this case wide open. OK, we didn't find Madeleine but there was no shortage of theories.

As Windsor has suggested, I think it was someone who knew the area and possibly knew her. The problem with the mad teacher is that he's just too obvious, the classic nutter who diverts attention from the real killer. But he's still under suspicion so perhaps the police are waiting for him to trip himself up. He was said to be a weedy individual. The police reckon that the person who dumped the body might have been thinking of the quarry on the other side of the wall. Maybe the dead weight was too much to lift. And what about the unsolved murder in the area many years ago? Is that connected? The danger is that the police jump to too many conclusions too soon and overlook some things that don't fit their assumptions. It's happened before.

In a case like this the police have to sift out the hard facts from the conjecture. If they'd have done that with Peter Sutcliffe they'd have caught him years before they did.

Her boots were left in the flat so are we to believe she went out in her stocking feet? Maybe she never went back there but quite a few of her things that she would have taken out with her were in the flat including the pizza receipt. It's possible she was murdered there with her sock, then her killer ate the pizza and removed the package with her body. The package could have been dumped anywhere and the sock saved as a souvenir. Another few days without anything new and they'll have to resort to the reconstruction of her last known movements, always a sign of desperation.

I read that they were going through tons of garbage to try and find this pizza box. Was Jo the only person in Bristol who ate Tesco pizzas?

Do they know if she ate any of the pizza? Surely during the post mortem they would have checked the contents of her stomach.

As far as whodunnit, I think it had to be someone who knew her boyfriend was out of town. The fact that there seems to have been no sexual motives (except a possible foot fetish) makes me think that it was more likely a woman or a gay man. I'd be looking for a woman or gay man who is obsessed with Jo's boyfriend, and who is now giving him a shoulder to cry on in a deranged attempt to get him into bed.

Mrs Marple can put that in her pipe and smoke it.

I always thought strangulation was considered sexual? He might have used the sock to deposit his load.

I'm not sure we're allowed to post links to other forums but Forten Times has quite a lengthy thread on the murder, between us all I'm sure we can solve this one.

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopi...1055461#1055461

• Like 1