maryportfuncity

Missing In Action

5 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

They still have to work out if it is suicide or an accident. 

• None of the above 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

They still have to work out if it is suicide or an accident. 

And sell the film rights :facepalm:

Nicola Bulley inquest underway - though full shebang is June at the earliest. Grim question here but does anyone know the level of forensic evidence gatherable in these circumstances? ID was on the back of dental records and even that is couched in the statement that the "balance of probabilities" convinces them it's her body. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-64732270

23 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Nicola Bulley inquest underway - though full shebang is June at the earliest. Grim question here but does anyone know the level of forensic evidence gatherable in these circumstances? ID was on the back of dental records and even that is couched in the statement that the "balance of probabilities" convinces them it's her body.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-64732270

I'd think it was just a formality and wouldn't read anything into it.   Dental records would be easily obtainable and saves a family member the trauma of trying to ID in person.

Are you wondering about cause of death?  It's usually possible to determine death by drowning, although not always.  In the case of Libby Squire they were unable to determine whether she was alive or dead when she was put into the water, but it was much longer before she was recovered, seven weeks.  There were some signs indicative of asphyxiation but not conclusive.

5 hours ago, Toast said:

I'd think it was just a formality and wouldn't read anything into it.   Dental records would be easily obtainable and saves a family member the trauma of trying to ID in person.

Are you wondering about cause of death?  It's usually possible to determine death by drowning, although not always.  In the case of Libby Squire they were unable to determine whether she was alive or dead when she was put into the water, but it was much longer before she was recovered, seven weeks.  There were some signs indicative of asphyxiation but not conclusive.

Aye, well...wondering if the state of her lungs etc. puts into question whether they'll ever know if it was an accident or she had a momentary lapse and opted to jump in. Clearly the less tragic the better for the family. And - who knows - with local leisure centres facing financial ruin maybe someone already has the script to stage a "tribute" musical featuring the local swimming pool and sell a few grands worth of tickets on the back of the tabloid frenzy! :facepalm:

No, assuming she drowned there'd be no way to tell from a PM whether it was suicide or accident.  Coroners are generally reluctant to give a verdict of suicide unless there's undeniable evidence to back it up, so I expect it will be given the benefit of the doubt.

15 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, well...wondering if the state of her lungs etc. puts into question whether they'll ever know if it was an accident or she had a momentary lapse and opted to jump in. Clearly the less tragic the better for the family. And - who knows - with local leisure centres facing financial ruin maybe someone already has the script to stage a "tribute" musical featuring the local swimming pool and sell a few grands worth of tickets on the back of the tabloid frenzy! :facepalm:

Is it  'less tragic' to fall in the river when you're half-cut at 10 in the morning, or to realise in the middle of another pointless zoom meeting  with your boss that life's a piece of shit and it'll never get any better so I'm jumping into this here stream with stones in my pockets?

Depressing all around, from her actual death, to the media feeding frenzy, to the police bungling, to the online Clouseau wannabes . I'm aware that even posting this makes me part of ithe circus unfortunately. But why this particular case when the many similar accidents/suicides don't interest the masses  media at all? 

Still, at least it seems the dog is off the hook.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Depressing all around, from her actual death, to the media feeding frenzy, to the police bungling, to the online Clouseau wannabes .

I think the police have attracted undeserved criticism.  They were right all the time.  They knew Nicola was potentially suicidal because of information from the family, and I'd also bet the incident last month, when police were called to her home, involved her threatening to kill herself.  Thr police always know more than is made public.  It amuses me to see the web detectives beavering away sleuthing to find out details that the police have known from the start.  I've been guilty of that myself, but at least I recognise that I'm only doing it to satisfy my own curiosity.

I also understand that finding bodies in water is not as easy as some people imagine, so no criticism from me that she wasn't found sooner.  That Peter bloke didn't help with public perception on that point.  His claim that "she wasn't in the river" is shamelessly mendacious.

46 minutes ago, Toast said:

I think the police have attracted undeserved criticism.  They were right all the time.  They knew Nicola was potentially suicidal because of information from the family, and I'd also bet the incident last month, when police were called to her home, involved her threatening to kill herself.  Thr police always know more than is made public.  It amuses me to see the web detectives beavering away sleuthing to find out details that the police have known from the start.  I've been guilty of that myself, but at least I recognise that I'm only doing it to satisfy my own curiosity.

I also understand that finding bodies in water is not as easy as some people imagine, so no criticism from me that she wasn't found sooner.  That Peter bloke didn't help with public perception on that point.  His claim that "she wasn't in the river" is shamelessly mendacious.

Shamlessly mendacious and transparently shite (good name for a prog album btw). 

Hard to find a body in a waterway that rises and falls with the rain, even harder when it's also a tidal waterway. 

• Like 1

Feature/interview on/with Faulding here. (Guardian today).

2 hours ago, time said:

Feature/interview on/with Faulding here. (Guardian today).

FFS.  The arsehole is still stirring.

"He said he did not want to speculate but there remained “a lot of unanswered questions” about the case."

A Pennsylvania woman who went missing more than 30 years ago in a case that stumped authorities who later declared her legally dead has been found living in a nursing home in Puerto Rico.

Patricia Kopta left behind a husband and siblings and meandered through northern Puerto Rico for a while before she was taken as a person “in need” to the adult care home in 1999, according to details announced at a news conference this week in Ross Township, where she once lived.

SC

• Like 1

Posted in rugby thread but saw it fits better here

Bryn Hargreaves, jogador de rugby inglês que desapareceu há 14 meses em Cheat Lake, West Virginia onde morava, foi encontrado morto, jogou pelo Wigan, onde nasceu, St Helena, Bradford Bulls e Leigh

https://www.totalrl.com/body-of-missing-former-st-helens-wigan-and-bradford-prop-bryn-hargreaves-found-in-usa-as-family-confirm-death/

7 hours ago, chilean way said:

Brian Fernandez, Argentine football player has been missed about a week ago, today his car was found vandalized https://www.ole.com.ar/informacion-general/brian-fernandez-desaparecido-auto_0_T43JwcqcPK.amp.html#

They found him, he was with a relative.

https://www.eldiariodecarlospaz.com.ar/sucesos/2023/3/21/aparecio-el-futbolista-brian-fernandez-estaba-en-la-casa-de-un-familiar-168808.html

• Like 1

20 hours ago, max_bossetti said:
On 20/03/2023 at 18:01, chilean way said:

Brian Fernandez, Argentine football player has been missed about a week ago, today his car was found vandalized https://www.ole.com.ar/informacion-general/brian-fernandez-desaparecido-auto_0_T43JwcqcPK.amp.html#

They found him, he was with a relative.

https://www.eldiariodecarlospaz.com.ar/sucesos/2023/3/21/aparecio-el-futbolista-brian-fernandez-estaba-en-la-casa-de-un-familiar-168808.html

I hope his relative is a mechanic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Is that the paedo or the fat one?

The fat one is thin now, but the rest of him isn't missing.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, prussianblue said:

The fat one is thin now, but the rest of him isn't missing.

And he will appear on Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer movie, weird career trajectory.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Drake Bell reported missing with police highly concerned for his welfare.

Quite a shock to me reading his "career path" as of late. Convicted of driving under influence in 2015 as well as "attempted child endangerment" in 2021, being sentenced to two years of probation and 200 hours of community service for the latter. Seperated from his wife last year and this January it was reported Bell was seeking help for his "substance abuse". Looking back now, he could quite easily be seen as a suicide risk waiting to happen. But I'll wait with any further speculation until more is known about his disappearance.

Having watched some episodes of Drake & Josh when I was younger, this wasn't really something I expected to see happen. I really don't have the information necessary to say what happened to him and perhaps he has gone off the rails in recent years. However I do quite hope they find him alive and well :(

• Like 3

It's like a shit rerun of the life of Montgomery Clift. Handsome young star, disfiguring car crash (albeit reconstructive surgery had advanced over the subsequent 50 years), then a decade-long decline.

Wasn't he another Disney/Nickelodeon child star that got abused or abused another person. There were rumours of him and Demi Lovato.

Edit - got beaten to it.

• Like 1