Earl Gloomy

Horse Racing

Malton trainer Malcolm Jefferson has died aged 71.

• Like 1

Await Jefferson airplane/starship gags.....

Since this bumped, I do wonder if anything behind Criquette Heads retirement other than age.

Normally they go until they drop.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, charon said:

Await Jefferson airplane/starship gags.....

redtailbook.jpg

:D

• Haha 1

Charlie Davis, who enjoyed a long career with thoroughbreds, died of cancer today, at the age of 78. Davis was diagnosed with lung cancer, just a few weeks ago.

Davis' career included working as an exercise rider with horses like Kentucky Derby winner, Riva Ridge. But, he was best known for his work with legendary Triple Crown winner, Secretariat.

SC

David Barons, former trainer, including of the 1991 Grand National winner, has died aged 81. 

A renowned jockey who was among the best in Pennsylvania history died Thursday of injuries suffered in a racing accident.

Parx Racing announced the death of Jose Flores, 56, who was racing Monday at the suburban Philadelphia track when his horse went down and Flores was thrown off. The jockey hit the ground head first and suffered a massive trauma.

SC

John McCririck was looking and sounding half dead on Good Morning Britain today. Lost a LOT of weight - 

• Like 2

He'll be on my Poker team come the second half of the year.

10 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Uuh looks terrible, the Sun has info about a "mystery" illness, believed to be a heavy flu:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/3842581/john-mccririck-horse-racing-celebrity-big-brother-celebrity-wife-swap-about/

There was some story not too long ago about him having been on a diet.  I don't believe any of it.

He was on my very first DDP team ten years ago, on the grounds that he looked like the sort to keel over suddenly from a heart attack.

4 hours ago, Toast said:

There was some story not too long ago about him having been on a diet.  I don't believe any of it.

He was on my very first DDP team ten years ago, on the grounds that he looked like the sort to keel over suddenly from a heart attack.

O?  Would that be the I've a monstrous tumour in my gut diet?  The woops the chemo's not working diet?  Or the ever popular cigar-smoker's COPD=iet?

Yeah, they say he had trouble walking.... Brain tumour?

4 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Yeah, they say he had trouble walking.... Brain tumour?

How could they tell?

He sounds terrible as well.

The Canadian harness racing community has lost one of its top drivers.  Mike MacDonald, a native of Charlottetown, died on Tuesday night. He was 70.

MacDonald won the Gold Cup & Saucer, considered Atlantic Canada's biggest race, a record five times. He competed in 29 of 49 Gold Cup & Saucer finals before retiring from competition in 2009.

MacDonald won almost 2,300 races in his career and earned more than $13 million in purses. He raced at most major tracks in North America.
SC

Double Derby winning trainer John Dunlop dead aged 78.

DDP pick Laura Barry dead. While I would have been 50/50 on her obit normally, the fact she's died two days before her scheduled wedding surely means a guaranteed Mail and Mirror write-up.

Former trainer and jockey Ron Conquest who held a special place in Queensland racing history has died aged 86 after a battle with cancer.  He is one of only three people in modern day Queensland racing to have ridden and later trained a Group One winner in the state.

SC