Earl Gloomy

Horse Racing

2 hours ago, Banana said:

you could always ignore it

Did you pay any fucking attention to what I wrote? 

There are hundreds of racehorses in training within a few miles radius of where I live. 

I have an interest in the racing community.  Why would I want to ignore the thread?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Toast said:

Did you pay any fucking attention to what I wrote? 

I have an interest in the racing community.  Why would I want to ignore the thread?

I meant the posts, not the thread. You could make the same arguments for all the birthday posts people do and I’m sure you ignore those. 

• Like 1

Jockey who rode Magic Court to victory in the 1964 Champion Hurdle then finished runner-up in the Grand National in both 1965 and 1966 on Freddie, Pat McCarron, reportedly dead:

• Like 1

Not sure how this got by the DL research team.  Guy's been dead a week.

Ray York, who won the 1954 Kentucky Derby aboard Determine at age 20 and rode in a record seven consecutive decades, has died. He was 86. He died Sunday after a year-long struggle with pneumonia at an extended care facility near Bakersfield, California.

York rode Determine to victory in the 1954 Santa Anita Derby before they teamed to win the Kentucky Derby by 1 1/2 lengths. It was York's only win in five Derby mounts. He was nearly unseated when Timely Tip made an abrupt left turn coming out of the starting gate and clipped heels with Determine.

York and Determine also won the 1955 Strub Stakes at Santa Anita. Determine went on to a successful stallion career, siring 1962 Kentucky Derby winner Decidedly.

In York's only appearance in the Preakness Stakes, he finished 10th aboard Armageddon in 1952.
SC

A jockey has died after falling from his mount during a race at Rillito Park Racetrack. According to information from the Rillito Park Foundation, Richard C. Gamez was in the lead during the fifth race on Sunday, March 1, when his horse stumbled in the final turn, causing him to fall.
SC

Irish show horse rider Rory Gilsenan has now received coverage from a QO outfit, but is basically only being described as "man with cancer".

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/man-diagnosed-aggressive-brain-tumour-21696234

Maybe another C-team pick of mine with main team potential. 

On 22/03/2020 at 07:24, gcreptile said:

Irish show horse rider Rory Gilsenan has now received coverage from a QO outfit, but is basically only being described as "man with cancer".

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/man-diagnosed-aggressive-brain-tumour-21696234

Maybe another C-team pick of mine with main team potential. 

Rory Gilsenan dead.

I had him eyed for a May cup spot too.

11 hours ago, msc said:

Rory Gilsenan dead.

I had him eyed for a May cup spot too.

16th death of my 60 DDP people in 15 weeks. So I am still on the wipe-out rate.

However, if Rory doesn't receive a QO, each of my three teams has one non-obit.

For some reason, a completely unrelated woman in a wheelchair plans a "wheelchair marathon" in honor of Rory Gilsenan... which was covered six hours ago by a local UK paper... will the QO outfits follow?

https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/news/people/disabled-woman-plans-26-mile-wheelchair-marathon-milton-keynes-shopping-centre-2864761

22 hours ago, gcreptile said:

For some reason, a completely unrelated woman in a wheelchair plans a "wheelchair marathon" in honor of Rory Gilsenan... which was covered six hours ago by a local UK paper... will the QO outfits follow?

https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/news/people/disabled-woman-plans-26-mile-wheelchair-marathon-milton-keynes-shopping-centre-2864761

The connection to horses and specifically horse racing is tenuous or non-existent.  

On 26/05/2020 at 19:46, gcreptile said:

It looks like she (and as a result Rory Gilsenan also) got a mention in the Sunday telegraph

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-sunday-telegraph/20200531/281934545164285

Edging closer to a QO?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

It looks like she (and as a result Rory Gilsenan also) got a mention in the Sunday telegraph

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-sunday-telegraph/20200531/281934545164285

Edging closer to a QO?

Sunday Telegraph IS The Telegraph ie a Qualifying Obit. We don't turn down QOs because they were printed on a Sunday.

"In April she lost close friend Rory Gilsenan, a Horse of the Year Show Trophy Winner, to a brain tumour."

That is a direct passing reference to a picks death without double meaning in a qualifying obituary source which has been seen by a Cmme member (that bit is above the online paywall above) and as such, I believe Mr Gilsenan is now worth points for those who picked him.

Good spot!

Wow, what a triumph!

Edit: Also, well, that would probably be the first time an analogue QO would cover a digital gap.

So, I don't know...

2 minutes ago, msc said:

Sunday Telegraph IS The Telegraph ie a Qualifying Obit. We don't turn down QOs because they were printed on a Sunday.

"In April she lost close friend Rory Gilsenan, a Horse of the Year Show Trophy Winner, to a brain tumour."

That is a direct passing reference to a picks death without double meaning in a qualifying obituary source which has been seen by a Cmme member (that bit is above the online paywall above) and as such, I believe Mr Gilsenan is now worth points for those who picked him.

Good spot!

Just to play devil's advocate....

Pressreader.com isn't on the list of approved QO sites.

Not that it will matter, but it's a report of a report, rather than a report. How the **** do I put that up on the Round Up?

Anyhoo, it's an interesting one.

It does give me a bit of a headache though. Do I link to the press reader link in the DDP pages?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Just to play devil's advocate....

Pressreader.com isn't on the list of approved QO sites.

Not that it will matter, but it's a report of a report, rather than a report. How the **** do I put that up on the Round Up?

Anyhoo, it's an interesting one.

Pressreader isn't the Qualifying Obit. Pressreader is a collection of newspapers sold online behind a paywall, a Netflix of world newspapers if you will. The bit seen is aggregated from the print edition of the Qualifying obit on their selling page

There's nowt in the rules that says the obit has to be digital, a throwover from when Qualifying Obits were what Big Iain saw in his daily paper. The catch has always been that a host has to see the print obit and none of us ever do.

Until now.

In short its a loophole playing exactly to the wording of the rules, but as the hosts need to see the obit in a qualifying source and now we have, I am wary of changing the rules specifically 6 months in. This has never come up because no one has done an An Fear Beag and actively looked up the print editions before.

Anyhow, that's my two pennies on the matter. Other opinions are out there. And welcomed. Reptile's a bit bound by this one, as he's the other chap to pick this guy, I see!

2 minutes ago, msc said:

Pressreader isn't the Qualifying Obit. Pressreader is a collection of newspapers sold online behind a paywall, a Netflix of world newspapers if you will. The bit seen is aggregated from the print edition of the Qualifying obit on their selling page

There's nowt in the rules that says the obit has to be digital, a throwover from when Qualifying Obits were what Big Iain saw in his daily paper. The catch has always been that a host has to see the print obit and none of us ever do.

Until now.

In short its a loophole playing exactly to the wording of the rules, but as the hosts need to see the obit in a qualifying source and now we have, I am wary of changing the rules specifically 6 months in. This has never come up because no one has done an An Fear Beag and actively looked up the print editions before.

Anyhow, that's my two pennies on the matter. Other opinions are out there. And welcomed. Reptile's a bit bound by this one, as he's the other chap to pick this guy, I see!

Cracking stuff, ha!

I'm not bothered whether the points are awarded, I just like to see what we do in this situation. Amazing it's not come up before.  I suggest we place An Fear Beag on Press Reader watch and let him go through the List of the Lost! Tun Tin, anyone? :lol:

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Cracking stuff, ha!

I'm not bothered whether the points are awarded, I just like to see what we do in this situation. Amazing it's not come up before.  I suggest we place An Fear Beag on Press Reader watch and let him go through the List of the Lost! Tun Tin, anyone? :lol:

So far folk have been cracking at pointing out all these added bits of the DDP no one has ever considered before.

• Like 1

If it's in the Telegraph (Sunday or any other day) that's case closed for me.

Just use Pressreader as a link for the DDP site.  I can't see any problem with that.  It shows the QO.

• Like 1