Earl Gloomy

Horse Racing

11 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Medina Spirit - the horse that ‘won’ the Kentucky Derby this year dead from Heart attack aged 3.

Guardian

There’s a shocker.  :rolleyes:

On 13/12/2018 at 21:20, gcreptile said:

Julie Brougham, top New Zealand equestrian, has cancer - apparently stomach cancer:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/109256972/olympic-equestrian-julie-brougham-vows-to-overcome-cancer

Julie Brougham has died at 67:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/women-in-sport/127240352/rio-olympics-equestrian-julie-brougham-dies

List of the Missed btw. 

• Like 1

Admittedly this is not the first time this year I severely underestimated somebody’s obit chances. Thought he was far more local and only made my deathrace team…

17 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Admittedly this is not the first time this year I severely underestimated somebody’s obit chances. Thought he was far more local and only made my deathrace team…

I first noticed his Yahoo article, so I had him in everything. Should still count for Deathrace, was my backup joker.

Chalk me up as another Billy Turner DDP picker. Seattle Slew was the first (and still one of only two) racehorse to win the Triple Crown while undefeated, was never any doubt he'd QO. Apparently they expected him to have weeks to live on Wednesday, which changed to days on Thursday, and then changed to hours on Friday morning, so it seems he came off the pace in the final furlongs.

Some information on a US racehorse still going at 39 https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/bloodstock-latest/its-very-rarefied-stratosphere-thoroughbred-still-living-high-life-aged-39/530184

Also noticed trainer Nigel Tinkler posted a photo of 1993 Chester Cup winner Rodeo Star on Twitter who is now 36. 

Both ancient in the equine world. 

• Like 1

I keep checking and weirdly despite an AP obit being available for Billy Turner it doesn’t look like any QO has covered him. Perhaps his death is a blessing in disguise for the would be Turner pickers? 

On 01/01/2022 at 10:37, Spade_Cooley said:

Chalk me up as another Billy Turner DDP picker. Seattle Slew was the first (and still one of only two) racehorse to win the Triple Crown while undefeated, was never any doubt he'd QO. Apparently they expected him to have weeks to live on Wednesday, which changed to days on Thursday, and then changed to hours on Friday morning, so it seems he came off the pace in the final furlongs.

Looks like there is a lot of doubt he will QO. 

20 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

That wasn’t showing up while I was trying to find his QO for whatever reason. 

Yahoo articles sometimes don’t show on Google for some reason.

On 05/01/2022 at 05:59, The Old Crem said:

Yahoo articles sometimes don’t show on Google for some reason.

You mean Yahoo articles sometimes don’t show up on their direct competitor’s news compiler for some reason?  Shocker.

Peter Rossdale, highly respected vet based in Newmarket, died aged 94 on November 26, 2021

Times

Sad news for the Queen: Ivor Herbert, the racing journalist, trainer, bon vivant and friend of the royals has died aged 96.

Though his own riding career was curtailed after twice breaking his neck, the Old Etonian ex-Coldstream Guards officer shone as an amateur trainer and trained the winner of the 1957 Cheltenham Gold Cup.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10388597/EDEN-CONFIDENTIAL-exotic-dancer-tore-strip-critic-Giles-Coren.html

• Like 1

This “sad news for the Queen” shite that the tabloid press keep pushing every time someone she knows dies is becoming tiring, and just as silly as the “Sad Last Days” Enquirer headlines.

The Queen literally has thousands of people who have made some kind of impact in her life. So many that it’s almost impossible for a normal person to comprehend in their mind, because she’s shook more hands and had more 2 minute conversations than anyone else in the entire country, ever (maybe even the world).

The death of her sister’s lady of the robes and an obscure journalist is the type of shite that will make her say “oh dear, that’s a pity”, not something that’s going to set her back. All of her close family and confidantes are younger than her. Their deaths WOULD affect her. Now if someone like Charles predeceased, that probably see her out, but it’s not likely to happen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

This “sad news for the Queen” shite that the tabloid press keep pushing every time someone she knows dies is becoming tiring, and just as silly as the “Sad Last Days” Enquirer headlines.

The death of her sister’s lady of the robes and an obscure journalist is the type of shite that will make her say “oh dear, that’s a pity”, not something that’s going to set her back.

Yes, but its great news for folk who might pick these obscure notables in deadpools and need a QO. :D

• Haha 1

On 16/12/2020 at 12:27, arghton said:

--snip

Other notable horses that live in Old Friends homes include 1996 breeders cup winner Alphabet Soup, animal actor Popcorn Deelites known from the Seabiscuit movie (played Seabiscuit) and Zippy Chippy, a horse known for holding the record of most losses in modern racing.

(Wiki) Popcorn Deelites dead age 24 from complications of colic. Jan. 20th, 2022 seems to be DOD

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 22/01/2022 at 03:53, MortalCaso said:

(Wiki) Popcorn Deelites dead age 24 from complications of colic. Jan. 20th, 2022 seems to be DOD

that ‘dead’ link isn’t taking me where I think you intended.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

that ‘dead’ link isn’t taking me where I think you intended.

Fixed! Sorry about that

• Like 1