Earl Gloomy

Horse Racing

On 16/12/2020 at 12:27, arghton said:

--snip

Other notable horses that live in Old Friends homes include 1996 breeders cup winner Alphabet Soup, animal actor Popcorn Deelites known from the Seabiscuit movie (played Seabiscuit) and Zippy Chippy, a horse known for holding the record of most losses in modern racing.

(Wiki) Alphabet Soup dead age 30, from complications of chronic kidney disease. Jan. 28th, 2022 seems to be DOD

Only 8 days after Popcorn Deelites, which seems a tad odd. Both euthanized at Old Friends Thoroughbred Retirement as @arghton mentions above.

Time for an update on notable residents?

EDIT: There is a wiki page here, seems terribly out of date though.

Edited by MortalCaso
Age changed from 31 to 30
  • Sad 1

Sad death but not unexpected.

alphabetsoup.png.88bed34bb224c94bfccf2377f9e124e0.png

Here with award-winning turf writer Bill Mooney (1947-2017), both had cancer at the time. Alphabet Soup had multiple cancers if I remember correctly, survived melanoma in 2017. Had been ill for a while and 31 is a grand old age for a horse.

The earliest/oldest Breeder's Cup Classic winner is now either Cat Thief (1996-, won in 1999. Not sure if alive) or Tiznow (1997-, won in 2000 and 2001)

There's a list of horses currently at Old Friends here. Here are the ones with a wikipedia page:

Kentucky:

Silver Charm (1994-), Thornfield (1994-), Sarava (1999-2023), Commentator (2001-), Birdstone (2001-), Awesome Gem (2003-), Nobiz Like Shobiz (2004-), Eldaafer (2005-), Rapid Redux (2006-), Game On Dude (2007-), Little Mike (2007-), Soldat (2008-), The Pizza Man (2009-), Work All Week (2009-) and Stormy Liberal (2012-)

New York:

Zippy Chippy (1991-2022)

• Like 2

Cross-posting from Journalists.

Billy Reed, the legendary Kentucky sportswriter who covered more than 50 Kentucky Derbys, has died. He was 78 and spent more than 60 years of his life covering sports.

SC

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Cross-posting from Journalists.

Billy Reed, the legendary Kentucky sportswriter who covered more than 50 Kentucky Derbys, has died. He was 78 and spent more than 60 years of his life covering sports.

SC

I don't think he belongs in here.  From the link, he covered all kinds of sport. 

If you're going to post it in here, then why not in the Olympics, golf, baseball etc threads ....

Please don't do that!

Jimmy Lindley dies aged 86.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Eric Lamaze announced his retirement (he was taking a sabbatical before that) from showjumping yesterday due to brain cancer. I know there's a difference between not being fit to play competititve sports and being at death's door, but it is still ominous when you get news like this. At least he still can work as a technical advisor...

https://www.horsetalk.co.nz/2022/04/01/eric-lamaze-quitting-showjumping/

• Like 1

On 01/04/2022 at 11:36, Predictor said:

Eric Lamaze announced his retirement (he was taking a sabbatical before that) from showjumping yesterday due to brain cancer. I know there's a difference between being fit to play competititve sports and being at death's door, but it is still ominous when you get news like this. At least he still can work as a technical advisor...

https://www.horsetalk.co.nz/2022/04/01/eric-lamaze-quitting-showjumping/

One to watch. I think he might Q/O when the time comes.

Surely it's gotta be Death Duty for us.

1 hour ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

1st - Longhouse Poet

2nd - Lostintranslation

3rd - Discorama

4th - Any Second Now

As long as nobody quotes this, I can edit to the correct result at 5.30.

That is a very good idea :P

• Like 1

A horse has died following a race at the Grand National on Ladies Day on Friday, April 8.

Solwara One, ridden by jockey Sam Twiston-Davies, died following the 1.45pm race at Aintree.

Racehorse trainer Neil Mulholland confirmed the news after the race on Friday, writing on Twitter: "Unfortunately we lost Solwara One today due to an injury, very sad."

SC

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Sir Creep said:

A horse has died following a race at the Grand National on Ladies Day on Friday, April 8.

Solwara One, ridden by jockey Sam Twiston-Davies, died following the 1.45pm race at Aintree.

Racehorse trainer Neil Mulholland confirmed the news after the race on Friday, writing on Twitter: "Unfortunately we lost Solwara One today due to an injury, very sad."

SC

I guess they’ll keep racing em so I’ll keep posting em.

Elle Est Belle has died after suffering a suspected heart attack during the Mersey Novices' Hurdle at Aintree. 

The Dan Skelton-trained mare collapsed during the second race on Grand National Day, which was won by the 5-2 favourite Three Stripe Life. Elle Est Belle was held up towards the rear in the early stages of the race and she had made headway towards the leaders when the tragedy occurred.

SC

• Sad 1

Discorama returned  to the stables but was put to sleep having suffered a pelvic injury in the national. 

Mentioned in some of the main coverage, incl. BBC - something they never used to do. If they keep up reporting the equine body count that's one step towards the race being banned someday.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Discorama returned  to the stables but was put to sleep having suffered a pelvic injury in the national. 

Mentioned in some of the main coverage, incl. BBC - something they never used to do. If they keep up reporting the equine body count that's one step towards the race being banned someday.

Perhaps they'll ban it on the same day they ban other money-making death-dealers like alcohol and tobacco, or frivolous, harmless pursuits like predicting which celebrity will die. Or summat.

And just for Sir Creep, so he can get his rocks off in private without having to bore us to death with every equine fatality, here's a gift... https://www.horsedeathwatch.com/

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

@Bibliogryphon and @arghton are twats.  

Is this because I liked the comment and not the original post?

This is because to react to the original post would have been to condone the deaths. The follow up post mentions banning the race.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Is this because I liked the comment and not the original post?

This is because to react to the original post would have been to condone the deaths. The follow up post mentions banning the race.

Credit to you Bib, you have an enviable amount of patience for that ignorant old tosser.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Could see next year become full on culture wars over it. 

Well, with 4 horses dead this weekend at Aintree, and 56 since 2000 (16 of which in the GN), you can begin to see why.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TQR said:

Well, with 4 horses dead this weekend at Aintree, and 56 since 2000 (16 of which in the GN), you can begin to see why.

It never be banned. Which of the two main political parties would suggest it? The Tories won’t and Labour won’t want to be seen as woke over it. Jump racing is more popular among working class people than the middle class anyway.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

It never be banned. Which of the two main political parties would suggest it? The Tories won’t and Labour won’t want to be seen as woke over it. Jump racing is more popular among working class people than the middle class anyway 

I didn’t say it would be banned. You said there’d be a culture war and I replied that there’s a good reason why there would be.

On what basis are you claiming that horse racing is more popular among working class people than middle?

1 minute ago, TQR said:

I didn’t say it would be banned. You said there’d be a culture war and I replied that there’s a good reason why there would be.

On what basis are you claiming that horse racing is more popular among working class people than middle?

Who do you think puts all the bets on at the bookies? The grand national is financially supported by loads and loads of small bets mostly by working class people. It gets more news paper coverage in the Sun and the Mirror than the Times and Telegraph. 

• Facepalm 1

Horse racing and breeding is a huge industry and employer.  Horses are athletes and like human athletes they occasionally suffer heart attacks or accidents while competing or training.  The number of fatalities is small compared with the number of outings. 

Safety-wise, the Grand National course is a piece of piss compared with what it was like years ago.

• Like 2