Jump to content
Earl Gloomy

Horse Racing

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, charon said:

The King George a 'Classic' ?

 

* Kings Theatre @ 14's my happiest memory of that non Classic.....

Edredon Bleu @ 25/1 2003.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Retired Irish jockey Ken Whelan is apparently receiving support from a hospice, according to a report from March.   I'm not sure he'll get the required obits though, as he doesn't seem to be well known outside the world of horseracing.  Mind, the Daily Telegraph did give him a mention when he retired in 2012, so an obituary isn't completely out of the question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Retired Irish jockey Ken Whelan is apparently receiving support from a hospice, according to a report from March.   I'm not sure he'll get the required obits though, as he doesn't seem to be well known outside the world of horseracing.  Mind, the Daily Telegraph did give him a mention when he retired in 2012, so an obituary isn't completely out of the question. 

 

Yes, Marcus Armytage gives passing obits to relatively obscure people if there's a good anecdote in it and it's a slow week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good thing about DDT's leaking names strategy is that law of averages he'll name someone not on my long list before too long.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Far too many a freezing cold morning in all weather's sat watching these twats ride around in there soho light outfits thinking they're god's gift to the country while the wife fawns over them. Least with retirement I might not have to endure the whole sorry affair next year. William introduced me to the paddypower app as well so I can get the real reason I've bothered sorted out from the comfort of Balmoral. Shame about Ken Whelan though, never nicer to see someone ill. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Prince Philip said:

Far too many a freezing cold morning in all weather's sat watching these twats ride around in there soho light outfits thinking they're god's gift to the country while the wife fawns over them. Least with retirement I might not have to endure the whole sorry affair next year. William introduced me to the paddypower app as well so I can get the real reason I've bothered sorted out from the comfort of Balmoral. Shame about Ken Whelan though, never nicer to see someone ill. 

 

I can't remember ever having seen you out on the gallops with Her Majesty, sir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Toast said:

 

I can't remember ever having seen you out on the gallops with Her Majesty, sir.

 

I may not have been out on the gallops with her, but I have been subjected to the ordeal of ascot, my dear subject, to which I refereed in my previous opine. No pleasure was had, regardless of the fake smiles I am dutifully obliged to deploy.

 

Queen and Philip in the carriage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/01/2006 at 03:38, Guest Himler said:

John McCrirrick has a very nice house, I saw it in "Through the keyhole".

Cheers Ghost Himler for that flashback friday. Sad times. Great programme. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In light of recent inception and the visit of Royalty. Do not panic . 

 

Bowing out. 

IMG_8224.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Prince Philip said:

 

I may not have been out on the gallops with her, but I have been subjected to the ordeal of ascot, my dear subject, to which I refereed in my previous opine. No pleasure was had, regardless of the fake smiles I am dutifully obliged to deploy.

 

Queen and Philip in the carriage

 

I see.  I was misled by your reference to "freezing cold morning". 

You also mentioned all-weather.  I'm pretty sure there is no all-weather track at Ascot, although there are a good number of all-weather gallops available to HM's horses in training of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Former Olympic Equestrian champion Gillian Rolton has died aged 61 from endometrial cancer. 

 

*snips off shortlist*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

Former Olympic Equestrian champion Gillian Rolton has died aged 61 from endometrial cancer. 

 

*snips off shortlist*

 

Wrong thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Toast said:

 

Wrong thread.

Equestrian is horse racing, so this shouldn’t be the wrong thread...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah, horse racing is racing horses. The English are very fond of it.

 

Equestrian is that fancy shit at the Olympics. One step, two step, mortified looking horse puts a hoof up in the air, and so on. The horses do all the work, then the horse rider gets the gold medal. They'd thus go in the Olympics thread.

 

It's allegedly art, while the former is racing.

 

It's all bollocks to me, but they are different.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, I see now. Well, I guess this should be moved to another thread...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, msc said:

 

Equestrian is that fancy shit at the Olympics.

 

I couldn't have put it better  :lol:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/12/2017 at 12:28, Thatcher said:

Peter Walwyn MBE, a British racehorse trainer, notably of Grundy, has died aged 84. He was almost certain to gain an obituary after The Telegraph reported the death of his wife back in 2014.

 

Edit: The Telegraph, The Guardian, Daily Mail, BBC obituaries.

I'm amused by your logic there.   Obits for someone like Peter Walwyn were never in doubt.   Old school trainer, racing royalty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hayden Haitana, Australian racing trainer, dead at 72. Would have been utterly unnotable were it not for the fact he was the trainer at the centre of the Fine Cotton scandal, arguably the most notorious use of a ringer in sporting history.

 

For those who don't know the tale, the plan to replace below-mediocre racehorse Fine Cotton with a superior horse fell apart when they were forced to use house paint to add "white spots" to the beast's coat. The nag going from 33/1 to 7/2 didn't help disguise suspicion either.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trainer Richard Woollacott, whose charge Beer Goggles pulled a major upset in the Long Distance Hurdle just two months ago when he interrupted what was meant to be a showdown between Thistlecrack and Uknowwhatimeanharry, has died suddenly aged 40.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beer Goggles to run at Cheltenham tomorrow "in his memory".

 

Bound to be short but a total mortgage job.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like suicide, wife says fell to his mental illness.

 

 

*beer goggles 11/2 btw, and after grubbing The Crack, it'll be getting pumped.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ took 15/2.....

 

Peter Casey, trainer of Flemenstar, deid. https://www.racingpost.com/news/news/colourful-character-peter-casey-trainer-of-flemenstar-dies-at-82/317226

 

 

 

 

When it won the Arkle he gave a great interview...

Edited by charon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use