Earl Gloomy

Horse Racing

I'm probably not alone in thinking that might my life would have gone a lot better if my late teens and early 20s had been focused more on Allen Toussaint's work than Pat Eddery's.

• Like 2

Baws spade.

Though the wedge I had on Rock Hopper when he managed to get it beat, then win it in the stewards room, means I would've throttled the cunt even 25 years on....

Pause for thought....

Paul & Pat were twins weren't they ?

Same job/lifestyle etc, is he a 'possible'?

Paul & Pat were twins weren't they ?

Same job/lifestyle etc, is he a 'possible'?

Were they twins? I didn't know that.

Anyway, twas the drink that got Pat, sadly.

PAT EDDERY'S daughter Natasha has posted a heartbreaking Instagram post mourning the loss of her father after his battle with alcohol.

Former champion Flat jockey Pat Eddery died on Tuesday aged 63 and his daughter wrote on Wednesday about the pain and sadness that surrounded her following his death.

'His addiction was too strong'

She wrote: "Filled with grief this morning that my dad Pat Eddery is no longer here. It's been five years since I last saw [him], we stayed in touch and spoke on the phone, I never missed a birthday etc and not a day went by when I didn't think about him.

"The last time I saw him face to face was when I brought him home from rehab and he drank straight away. I turned to him and said 'dad if you choose to drink over health and family, I can't be part of that life for you.'

"Sadly his addiction was too strong and he couldn't overcome it. My siblings and his close friends did all we could to help him battle his illness, but we lost in the end. It has been so sad to witness his decline and my siblings and I knew that we would loose him to his demon drink.

"But that said, I loved him so much and I had probably the best childhood anyone could ask for. I was so proud and still am so proud to be his daughter, he was an amazing jockey, father and husband, but in the end he was taken over by a terrible disease."

Lol, strike the twins thought.....Pat was a fair bit older. :)

Can't think on who I'm getting the twin vibe from if not him.

For now......

Lol, strike the twins thought.....Pat was a fair bit older. :)

Can't think on who I'm getting the twin vibe from if not him.

For now......

Hmmm, twin jockeys. Michael and Richard Hills?

• Like 1

:D woke at the back of two, sat up and said out loud "Hills" even though there's no one else here.

Anyhoo, target Paul in a decade.

Pat died of the drink @63.

His da died of the drink @64.

ETA the rock hopper incident was '91 Hardwicke Stakes. I was on at odds against , went off odds on, Eddery covered him up, got boxed in then flew. Beaten a sh, won it in the stewards but my bookie was fptp :( Just watched it there for the first time since and I'd remembered it perfectly....

Former jockey Terry McAllister, whose career ended in tragic circumstances, has died in Hobart after a short battle with cancer.

McAllister, 59, was left an incomplete quadriplegic after a barrier trial fall at Elwick in June 2004.

SC

http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/3984703/popular-former-jockey-dies-at-59/?cs=12

JT McNamara, former amateur jockey paralysed after a fall at the Cheltenham Festival in 2013, has died aged 41.

JT McNamara, former amateur jockey paralysed after a fall at the Cheltenham Festival in 2013, has died aged 41.

Never heard of him, please remove this news, not important enough. Another white minority sport.

Henry Brooke, induced coma to assist breathing after injuries in fall at Hexham.

Never heard of him, please remove this news, not important enough. Another white minority sport.

Not at all. Most racehorses are some shade of brown.

Francis Flood, former Irish amateur jockey and successful trainer, has died aged 86 http://www.skysports.com/racing/news/12040/10622205/cheltenham-gold-cup-winning-trainer-francis-flood-has-died-at-the-age-of-86

His son says he died at 4 am this morning, but hasn't yet switched the training licence. Interesting priorities, these racing types.

• Like 1

Rough Quest, 1996 Grand National winner (and my first winning pick to boot!) has died at the grand old age of 30...

RIP..

Rough Quest, 1996 Grand National winner (and my first winning pick to boot!) has died at the grand old age of 30...

RIP..

Followed by Moscow Flyer, aged 22.

Red Marauder, winner of the 2001 Grand National (in which only 4 finished) dead aged 26.

Red Marauder, winner of the 2001 Grand National (in which only 4 finished) dead aged 26.

That's three Grand National winners' deaths inside a year...

...in just over a month.

Funnily enough, news came this morning that Monbeg Dude, with whom I won a packet in 2015 when he finished 3rd in the GN at 50/1, has retired...

Choose yer kebab very carefully.

• Like 1

26?!? In 2001??

I'm no math genius but I'm an orator and will loudly decry BULLSHIT! He would have been 11.

SC

26?!? In 2001??

I'm no math genius but I'm an orator and will loudly decry BULLSHIT! He would have been 11.

SC

The 2001 National was one of the greats IMO. Relive the muddy chaos here:

26?!? In 2001??

SC

Struggling to see your point here.

Unless....

You do realise that Red Marauder was the horse, not the jockey???

• Like 7

26?!? In 2001??

SC

Struggling to see your point here.

Unless....

You do realise that Red Marauder was the horse, not the jockey???

animals-winner-jockey-horse-win-jockeys-

Uhm, that's a good compromise between Sir Creep's and Time's theories, I guess.

• Like 3