Monoclinic

Salman Rushdie

Searched for his own thread and failed. It's probably out there somewhere - along with a better anagram!

I'd just like to know who else is fed up with all this hoo-ha about the knighthood? I am in no position to comment on the book or indeed whether he is in the wrong because I have not read the book. I have a sneeky suspicion that some of those currently employed in burning effegies of said author haven't read the book either. I also doubt whether all of them know who he actually is.

I am sure they have just cause to feel agrieved, however to feel agreived one should at least know who he is and what he has written. I fear there are those who have just jumped on the latest demonstration bandwagon without knowing why they are demonstrating, which is not at all helpful in these troubled times.

I think he'll pull through, after all wouldn't a knight get preferential police protection? Does suicide bomb-proof armour exist for the modern knight?

• Like 1

I don't think there's any guarantee he'll pull through. Book wise Satanic Verses is his usual intense, symbol-laden po-faced trawl of post-colonial themeology. Hugely over-rated as an author IMHO his strengths are the ambition and complexity of his works, his weakness that he writes stuff so complex that it often fails to convince readers and leads to many of his books being abandoned partially read. I've read two and half, the half being the infamous Satanic Verses. Midnights Children was pretty good, The Ground Beneath Her Feet - a complex novel about a woman and a rock star - was utter pretentious shite IMHO, couldn't believe in any of the characters. I might be Cumbrian and shallow, but Rushdie's respectable rather than massive sales also tell a story.

It takes one dedicated suicide bomber. If they can't get it together to bring the tube network to a halt they could get him. Obviously it's a long shot, but there's more willingness amongst militants to do this stuff now and more militants in major western cities. Be interesting to see how many of us think about higher points for picks below pensionable age if he's still enjoying any kind of public life on December 31st.

• Like 1

I fear he could end up as a Knight in White Satin

• Like 1

Hey ladies... he's going to be single again.

MonoClinic, what you say is quite right.

Somebody here will, undoubtedly know, but just how accessible was the Satanic Verses in predominately Halibut societies?

Did the book actually get translated into Arabic and the like?

How did all these hoardes of protesters actually know what was in it to become so "offended?"

Radicalism and bullshit go hand in hand, if you want to force your ideology on everybody shout, threaten and drive flaming 4x4s into Airports......... :angry:

MPFC, I am in awe of you fella. To get through one of his books would be akin to piercing ones testicles with kniting needles to get through two and a half is torture that I assumed no human could withstand.

I think the Salmon Rusty is as safe as anybody else under threat of these bastards.

Why spend their time taking one scalp, all be it a famous one, when the can take out hundreds in one go.

Mr Salmon is not cost effective.

Regards

LFN

• Like 1

Osama's deputy suggests a targeted attack. I mean, there is one obvious target, if they're that angry.

Rushdie pulls out of Jaipur literary festival amid reports that Mumbai underworld figures are heading there to assassinate him.

In an effort to promote his forthcoming memoirs of his time in hiding he pops up to comment on the recent film protests and to remind any extremists that they haven't got him yet.

Will he be doing any book signings?

Some prominent Iranians and a few others with cash, apparently prepared to up the bounty and bring the old Fatwa out of mothballs. Must be true cos I read it in The Sun yesterday

Rushdie attacked on stage at an event in New York.

• Sad 6
  • Angry 1
  • Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, lilham said:

Rushdie attacked on stage at an event in New York.

NY Times are going a step further and reporting he's been stabbed. Doesn't say how many times or his status.

• Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

NY Times are going a step further and reporting he's been stabbed. Doesn't say how many times or his status.

Some reports that he is ok. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Old Crem said:

Some reports that he is ok. 

That doesn't mean he is ok. Sir David Amess was walking in the moments after being stabbed. A stab wound doesn't kill you immediately.

8 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

That doesn't mean he is ok. Sir David Amess was walking in the moments after being stabbed. A stab wound doesn't kill you immediately.

True but I imagine there is difference in walking the seconds after and what is being claimed that he was walking minutes afterwards - a claim that nobody seems to be able to verify. 

The AP are saying ‘ Rushdie was quickly surrounded by a small group of people who held up his legs, presumably to send more blood to his chest.’

Daily Mail are saying he has been transported to an ambulance. 

The Old Crem hasn't been this excited about drip by drip breaking news updates since the Queen had pancreatic cancer.

• Haha 7

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The Old Crem hasn't been this excited about drip by drip breaking news updates since the Queen had pancreatic cancer.

Seriously! He was stabbed. We get it. If he dies let me know. 

Footage of him seemingly being loaded into an air ambulance. 

"stabbed 10-15 times", "lying in a pool of his own blood".

75 years old. Can't see him surviving this tbh.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 6