DevonDeathTrip

From Cleric To Relic

Katie Geneva Cannon, a theologian and the first black woman ordained in the Presbyterian church, has reportedly died at age 69.  No confirmation yet. 

18 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Katie Geneva Cannon, a theologian and the first black woman ordained in the Presbyterian church, has reportedly died at age 69.  No confirmation yet. 

Just an FYI, if you feel like it in the future there is also a 'Female Firsts' thread for 'the first female to (insert accomplishment _______)'.  I wanted to do that for black folk too but the thread was taken down (smh).
SC

PS: Here's some non-confirmation....

• Like 1

Racist cunt. See you in hell.

Should have gone in the "fringes of fame" thread: she was Nick Cannon's aunt.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Edit:  Confirmation

https://www.upsem.edu/newsroom/professor-katie-cannon-first-black-woman-ordained-in-pcusa-dies-at-68/

7 hours ago, arrowsmith said:

Noted psychologist, and expert on celibacy issues in the Catholic Church, Richard Sipe dead at 85. He was himself a former Benedictine monk and is notable for his portrayal in the film Spotlight by the voice of actor Richard Jenkins. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/09/nyregion/aw-richard-sipe-a-leading-voice-on-clergy-sex-abuse-dies-at-85.html

Expert on celibacy? Does this just basically mean he never got his end away for 85 years? Shit, I am over half the way there. Time to call the Vatican for a job. 

• Like 1

I note that Rev. Violet Mark Lorrain Foxall, a pick in my Deathlist cup squad, has now been discharged from hospital, although she hardly looked the picture of good health in the photo provided by her Mission's Facebook page.

Alas, I'm not sure her fame extends much beyond the Christian community in Mizoram, India (the Maras) who seem to regard her as some sort of deity.  I doubt even the Daily Telegraph on a slow news day would give the 'last Welsh missionary in India' much coverage when she goes, but you never know.

I was intrigued by this picture I found on the Mission's Facebook site, entitled 'an artist's impression of Rev Mark's plea for unity between Mara churches'.

38029515_1825801827500461_24199949850142

What is the message?  Who are these two men either side of her bed?  Do they have a problem with each other?  Is this some sort of bizarre love triangle?  Answers on a postcard please.

• Like 1

I don't know if she was 'discharged' as much as carted off from the hospital.  There are some confused physicians on the third floor wondering where she went.

Dieudonné Bogmis, The Bishop of the Eseka Diocese in Cameroon, has died. He was 63.  (I guess it was his destiny to be a man of the cloth since his first name translated means 'God-given'.)

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=https://www.camer.be/69825/11:1/cameroon-cameroun-deces-de-mgr-dieudonne-bogmis-encore-un-eveque-mort-mysterieusement.html&prev=search

31 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Dieudonné Bogmis, The Bishop of the Eseka Diocese in Cameroon, has died. He was 63.  (I guess it was his destiny to be a man of the cloth since his first name translated means 'God-given'.)

And his surname translated means "those little mats that people put around the base of the toilet".

• Haha 8

On 14/10/2014 at 19:33, gcreptile said:

Televangelist Ernest Angley, parodied back in the day by Robin Williams, now 93 years old, is in trouble for leading his congregation like a sect, forcing women to abortions and men to vasectomies, also for molesting boys and protecting pedophiles.

http://wonkette.com/...oh-jesus-christ

Linked to this, as he was not disgusting enough, Ernest Angley has now been accused of sexual abuse.

8 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

stepped down following a sexual-abuse scandal involving suspected pedophile priests , has died

Two steps down then. Fair enough.

• Like 1

If anyone is interested I recently did some research and discovered there are still 21 Catholic Bishops who were in attendance at Vatican II alive today. This includes four Cardinals and one Bishop who left the church. The youngest of the 21 is 86 and the oldest is 103 and a roughly average age of 94. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, arrowsmith said:

If anyone is interested I recently did some research and discovered there are still 21 Catholic Bishops who were in attendance at Vatican II alive today. This includes four Cardinals and one Bishop who left the church. The youngest of the 21 is 86 and the oldest is 103 and a roughly average age of 94. 

Last chance for a full theme team?

5 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Last chance for a full theme team?

Team name: 9/11 Celebration in the Vatican

On 25/03/2018 at 12:10, Sir Creep said:

Bishop Joseph Cistone of Saginaw, Michigan has recently been diagnosed with lung cancer.   It’s the ‘treatable’ kind, don’tcha know.

SC

You'll probably have seen Cistone's cancer got much worse, but he's now dead.

Another strong contender for Pan Breed 2019 gone. Gonna need a bigger shortlist.