DevonDeathTrip

From Cleric To Relic

5 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Geoffrey Robinson,  a former Auxiliary Bishop of Sydney, has died after a long battle with a terminal illness.  He was 83.

https://www.catholicweekly.com.au/bishop-robinson-returns-to-the-father-at-83/

Boy there’s a blast from the recent past

• Like 1

Tragic news!

25 Success GIFs to Celebrate All Your Victories | Stephen colbert, Dance,  Pop dance

• Like 1

On 31/12/2020 at 16:56, drol said:

Chinese clandestine Bishop of Sipingjie, Andrew Han Jingtao, dead at 99. He was the oldest Chinese bishop after the death of short-term COVID survivor Joseph Zhu Baoyu. Now the title goes to Joseph Zong Huaide (wiki), the 98-year old retired Bishop of Shaanxi, whose health has been frail for years.

Died today. Link says he was born 1920 though, so he was 100.

Who is the new oldest Chinese bishop @drol? We may be on a roll here. :D

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Not an easy question. Some of them may not even have a Wiki page. Surely those three who died in the last year were the oldest by a good margin. Likely no one till 1925. But again I'm not  sure.

• Thanks 1

There has been some outrage in Austria, because cardinal Christoph Schönborn (1945) has received a vaccination against Covid sooner than most 80+ year olds, who are forced to wait until March & probably longer.

He has been diagnosed with prostate cancer two years ago, though. 

2 minutes ago, ThePrematureBurial said:

There has been some outrage in Austria, because cardinal Christoph Schönborn (1945) has received a vaccination against Covid sooner than most 80+ year olds, who are forced to wait until March & probably longer.

He has been diagnosed with prostate cancer two years ago, though. 

Well, he maybe just took the vaccine dosis dedicated for his mother: She turns 100 in April.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Cástor Oswaldo Azuaje, the Bishop of Trujillo, has died. He was 69. Azuaje died of COVID-19. Trujillo had held the position since 2012, having been appointed by Pope Benedict XVI.

https://www.catholicworldreport.com/2021/01/08/venezuelan-bishop-69-dies-of-covid-19/

Dull day, sir, dull day.

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Philip Tartaglia, 40th successor of St Mungo and 8th Archbishop of Glasgow since reintroduction, reportedly dead:

Well damn. Old family friends, the entire family, and while he was the right winger of the church/family (and had many of the, err, anti-LGBT views and old school blindspots we've argued against many times), I was surprised by his moves to more Mone-like grounds against the Tories. Plus the family in general are lovely.

1 minute ago, msc said:

Well damn. Old family friends, the entire family, and while he was the right winger of the church/family (and had many of the, err, anti-LGBT views and old school blindspots we've argued against many times), I was surprised by his moves to more Mone-like grounds against the Tories. Plus the family in general are lovely.

Yeah, not the most liberal guy! I mean, I could play his game and say why does someone dedicated to God and being a Catholic just up and die at only "just" 70? But I won't, I'll take the high road, etc etc.

Condolences are due of course. Quite the thing, seems to have attended St Mungo's Academy, becomes 40th successor to St Mungo and dies on the Feast of Kentigern, having served his 3 score years and ten.

Maybe there is summat to this religion thing?

I try my best not to speak ill of the dead so all I'll say is religious leaders are supposed to bring people together. IMO Tartaglia, much like Keith O'Brien, failed to do this, but rather brought his own faith into disrepute. Namely his comments upon the death of Labour MP and Catholic David Cairns, when he speculated that his death aged 44 was some kind of judgement of god for him being gay. 

Hopefully his successor will play a better a role in the public eye when it comes to balancing morality and being considerate of others.

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I try my best not to speak ill of the dead so all I'll say is religious leaders are supposed to bring people together. IMO Tartaglia, much like Keith O'Brien, failed to do this, but rather brought his own faith into disrepute. Namely his comments upon the death of Labour MP and Catholic David Cairns, when he speculated that his death aged 44 was some kind of judgement of god for him being gay

Hopefully his successor will play a better a role in the public eye when it comes to balancing morality and being considerate of others.

One of the most stupid things I've heard in a while.

• Like 1

Glenn Campbell is tweeting that Tartaglia had a positive COVID test at the time of his death.

Edit: Should probably clarify for anyone outside the UK... Glen Campbell, the Scottish broadcaster, not the dead country musician. That would be strange.

2nd edit: Scottish Sun obitBBC obitLBC obitScotsman obitMirror obit.

• Shocked 1

14 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I try my best not to speak ill of the dead so all I'll say is religious leaders are supposed to bring people together. IMO Tartaglia, much like Keith O'Brien, failed to do this, but rather brought his own faith into disrepute. Namely his comments upon the death of Labour MP and Catholic David Cairns, when he speculated that his death aged 44 was some kind of judgement of god for him being gay. 

Yes, that was shit. Unfortunately the Catholic church was - still sort of is - controlled outright by the hardline right wing JP2/Benny for 30 odd years, and all control on Cardinals/high ranking posts went through them and their prejudices (which admittedly were widespread in society up to about 2 or so decades ago). So the posts tended to be syphoned off for folk who agreed with those, while the more progressive wing of Catholicism was viewed as being the great enemy. No idea if things have shifted with an actual Jesuit in charge - I guess this is a test case.

Atheists view. Bet yer glad DJL is gone so we don't have War and Peace to read next... :D

• Like 1

On 05/01/2021 at 22:57, Ulitzer95 said:

John Bai Ningxian (wiki), retired Auxiliary Bishop of Sanyuan, who tuned 100 a few days ago.

• Like 1

Emmanuel Milingo, a Zambian cleric and one of the most colourful Catholic Archbishops, has died. He was 91. In 2001, Milingo married a Korean woman. A few months later, after having left his Korean wife, he returned to the Catholic church and renounced his life with her and his links with Reverend Moon. In 2006, Archbishop Milingo and four others were ex-communicated when he ordained the quartet despite the fact they were married. He was defrocked in 2009.

https://www.facebook.com/273812309715103/photos/a.278666292563038/1183723322057326/?type=3&theater