Anubis the Jackal

Professional Cyclists

Yes, very sad, and well done to gc. I noticed the Twitter hiatus too... though would have waited a week or two more to make any decisions re picking her, had she lived that is.

• Like 1

Goolaerts has now died. 

14 hours ago, JQW said:

Goolaerts has now died. 

I don't doubt your veracity, but a link is rather necessary on such an announcement.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/6003813/michael-goolaerts-dead-at-23-belgian-cyclist-crash-paris-roubaix/
QO
(EDIT)... 2 things.  1.  Thinking about it, we have had two people under 25 die in the past day, and seems as a collective we have under-utilized the 'Death Under 45' thread, I am as guilty as anyone.  Need to re-boot that next chance we get.
2.  I call bullshit on the cyclist who died of a heart attack AFTER falling on rocks accident.  Makes WAY more sense to me he had a heart attack, causing an accident from which he fell on rocks.  Whatever.  He's fahkin dead alls I know. 

SC

On 4/9/2018 at 08:10, Sir Creep said:

(EDIT)... 
2.  I call bullshit on the cyclist who died of a heart attack AFTER falling on rocks accident.  Makes WAY more sense to me he had a heart attack, causing an accident from which he fell on rocks.  Whatever.  He's fahkin dead alls I know. 

SC

And Sir Creep is proven correct again.

Belgians running a clean cycling program I see.

• Like 1

Andy Rihs at 75.

Team owner of BMC the swiss mob.

Surprising its a genuine leukemia not drug related death (tho Swiss Clinic makes you wonder).

Also owned The Young Boys in Berne fitba club, butt of many a joke.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bmc-racing-owner-andy-rihs-dies-aged-75/

26 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Belgians running a clean cycling program I see.

Quite. One young death from heart failure is unfortunate. Two looks like carelessness.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2018 at 03:25, Grim Up North said:

Dutch BMX rider in coma

Might get a free transfer to the Olympic medalist deaths thread if he doesn't make it.

Out of coma and rehabbing.   Gonna be fine (for now).

9 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Dario Pegoretti, an Italian bicycle framebuilder who constructed frames for the likes of Miguel Indurain, Marco Pantani and Mario Cipollini, has died.  He was 62.

https://road.cc/content/news/247339-dario-pegoretti-famed-italian-framebuilder-dies-aged-62

He's pegged out early!

On 24/10/2015 at 14:34, YoungWillz said:

Prospective GB Paralympian David Smith is delaying his surgery in an attempt to qualify for Rio 2016: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-3287131/David-Smith-s-delaying-life-saving-surgery-shot-Rio.html

Making a choice between cycling and his life cycle.

Once again thinking about doing it or not doing it:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/disability-sport/45524555

Troubled 1997 Tour de France winner Jan Ullrich  appears to be missing in action.

According to l'Equipe there are concerns about the whereabouts and welfare of Jan Ullrich. None of his friends and family have had any contact with him for 3 weeks.

Ullrich has been in rehab recently, to address his addictions to alcohol and amphetamines, but was last seen on the roof of his villa in Majorca drinking whisky and "clutching a cloth chicken".:huh:

I'd question the chicken.

Me too, or...

question if it was a misprint of "choking the chicken".

Lets face it if you have nothing to do whilst sitting on the roof of your villa, out of rehab, back on the whisky and thus possibly the speed as well, you'd be awake, bored and have to pass the time somehow.

• Haha 2

Well he's been going the Gazza route so anything is possible.

Couple of recent assault charges against him, one being a prostitute he beat up (its okay, his gf allows him to sleep with other wummin), admitting to coke not just amphetamines, and he might indeed be panned by Xmas.

Jonathan Cantwell, Aussie cyclist who participated in many competitions on Australian teams including USA National Cycling competitions, has passed away aged 36 of suicide. He was also diagnosed with testicular cancer in 2017.

On 09/11/2018 at 01:13, FixedBusiness said:

Jonathan Cantwell, Aussie cyclist who participated in many competitions on Australian teams including USA National Cycling competitions, has passed away aged 36 of suicide. He was also diagnosed with testicular cancer in 2017.

Hmmmmmmm any more male relatives?

His dad and brother both topped themselves too.

On 08/11/2018 at 19:13, FixedBusiness said:

Jonathan Cantwell, Aussie cyclist who .... was also diagnosed with testicular cancer in 2017.

Rode for Saxo-Tinkoff?

Cycling TV commentator, and former professional rider Paul Sherwen has died today aged 62. He was living in Uganda where he owned a mine.

Can't find a reliable link at the moment.

As a Tour De France fan, for years Paul along with Phil Liggett was the voice of cycling in the UK on Channel 4 then ITV4 so this is really sad news. One of the voices of Summer, my childhood and nobody said ‘unbelievable’ quite like Paul Sherwen. 

God speed friend and thanks for the memories.

• Like 2