Anubis the Jackal

Professional Cyclists

Olympic cyclist Olivia Podmore has died, aged 24. The New Zealand rider, who competed for her country at the 2016 Olympics in Rio, passed away suddenly just hours after posting a message on her Instagram page detailing the "struggle" of elite sport.  Olivia Podmore dead: Olympic cyclist, 24, dies hours after worrying Instagram post (msn.com)   

• Like 2

13 hours ago, I.R.Baboon said:

5 professional cyclists dead in September alone . I never realised how deadly cycling was. 5 deaths in 19 days is truly shocking.

Fabio taborre 36

Chris Anker Sorensen 37

Nicolas naranjo 31

Matej Martin 41

Jennifer fiori 35

On 19/10/2018 at 09:45, DevonDeathTrip said:

Troubled 1997 Tour de France winner Jan Ullrich  appears to be missing in action.

Ullrich has been in rehab recently, to address his addictions to alcohol and amphetamines, but was last seen on the roof of his villa in Majorca drinking whisky and "clutching a cloth chicken".:huh:

Jan Ullrich is hospitalised for relapsing.

On 22/12/2021 at 03:36, Banana said:

Jan Ullrich is hospitalised for relapsing.

Sad in a way but not surprising. It seems to go with the territory, unless they become team managers, pro cyclists of that era really aren’t that employable. It didn’t help matters Jan refused to admit the drugs until many had confessed and left him with no room to admit it

On 25/01/2022 at 09:50, TheSpinosaurus said:

Egan Bernal has undergone six operations since his crash.  He broke 11 ribs, his femur, kneecap, 2 vertebrae in his lower spine his axis (cervical spine), thumb,and metacarpal, punctured both lungs and had a tooth knocked out.  

A great cycling talent, hopefully he'll make a comeback, but the odds seem against him at this stage.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Egan Bernal has undergone six operations since his crash.  He broke 11 ribs, his femur, kneecap, 2 vertebrae in his lower spine his axis (cervical spine), thumb,and metacarpal, punctured both lungs and had a tooth knocked out.  

A great cycling talent, hopefully he'll make a comeback, but the odds seem against him at this stage.

No pun intended.

Egan Bernal discharged from hospital 

FK7qvVmXoAQE6qt?format=jpg&name=large

Tough cookie.

• Like 3

Welsh cyclist who competed in the individual road race for GB at the 1964 Olympics, Colin Lewis, reportedly dead aged 79: 

He was the last Welshman to compete in the Tour De France in 1968 until Geraint Thomas turned up in 2007.

• Like 2

Italian cyclist Sonny Colbrelli had a heart attack and seizures when he crossed the finish line in the first stage of the Return to Catalonia. The competitor, current European champion, had finished second behind Australian Michael Matthews.

The incident occurred this Monday in Sant Feliu de Guíxols, about 50 meters ahead of the finish line. The born in Italy he had to receive cardiopulmonary resuscitation and his condition required the use of a defibrillator.

Hours later, his Bahrain-Victorius team reported that “his condition is stable”.

The 31-year-old was leading this race, but towards the end, with just 20 meters to go, Matthews passed him for first place.

SC

Having lost two other giants of the club, Ken Robertson and Colin Lewis, in the last four months, the Mid-Devon CC is now mourning the death of a third - Roy Hopkins has passed away at the age of 89. 

Hopkins, known as the 'Iron Man' of Westcountry cycling, enjoyed more than 30 major victories and countless other club wins in a 25-year career. 
SC

3-time Tour de France winner Greg LeMond is being treated for leukaemia. Chronic myelogenous leukaemia apparently, which he says is treatable and non-life threatening. I'll leave it to the experts in these here parts to confirm that prognosis. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/61708616

• Shocked 2

32 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

3-time Tour de France winner Greg LeMond is being treated for leukaemia. Chronic myelogenous leukaemia apparently, which he says is treatable and non-life threatening. I'll leave it to the experts in these here parts to confirm that prognosis. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/61708616

Pretty accurate assessment.

• Like 1

Bernard Labourdette, a Tour De France stage winner in 1972, has died aged 75.

The footage below shows him suffering through stage 17 of the 1975 tour with a broken hand. 

• Like 2

Jean Bobet, brother of Louison Bobet (well known in France) and cyclist in his own right dead at 92. 
I wavered to include him on my french list but went for Raphael Geminiani who’s more famous here, both of them I heard of from Je Me Souviens by George Perec. 

• Like 2

Mike Burrows, bike designer who designed the Lotus 108 which was used by Chris Boardman when he won Gold at the 1992 Olympics, has died aged 79.

Obituaries: BBC

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Mike Burrows, bike designer who designed the Lotus 108 which was used by Chris Boardman when he won Gold at the 1992 Olympics, has died aged 79. May potentially receive obits from The Guardian or The Times.

Particularly as the European Championships are ongoing and Chris Boardman is on commentary duties and could make a brief on screen tribute. 

Rab Wardell - won the Scottish mountain bike championship on Sunday, appeared on BBC Scotland's Nine show last night, then died in his sleep a few hours later, aged only 37.

• Shocked 3

11 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Rab Wardell - won the Scottish mountain bike championship on Sunday, appeared on BBC Scotland's Nine show last night, then died in his sleep a few hours later, aged only 37.

Some more info here. Heart attack and partner of Katie Archibald. Hard to imagine it wasn't linked to his superhuman efforts two days earlier. Tragic.

As someone who does quite a lot of long distance running and am planning on running a 50 mile mountain challenge with 12,000 feet of ascent soon it makes me think. Maybe won't push myself quite as hard as I was planning.

• Like 2