Anubis the Jackal

Professional Cyclists

Prospective GB Paralympian David Smith is delaying his surgery in an attempt to qualify for Rio 2016: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-3287131/David-Smith-s-delaying-life-saving-surgery-shot-Rio.html

Making a choice between cycling and his life cycle.

He is on my long list, but I can't help but feel that if putting off the surgery by a year would outright kill him, he wouldn't pass all the health and safety checks needed to be at Rio in the first place.

He's not going now due to further surgery. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/disability-sport/35568940

I was convinced he'd do the whole "compete or die" thing. I've a lot more respect for him as an athlete and a human being by looking after himself rather than throw his whole life at a "here today, gone tomorrow" competition.

On BBC live updates thing today:

"Better news for British Paralympian David Smith, who underwent nine hours of life-saving surgery on a tumour just 8mm from his spine in March.

Although the operation was a success, the 37-year-old had been left temporarily paralysed on one side and was unable to use his left arm and leg.

Best birthday present I could have wished for, I managed to walk and my mum arrived to see this. "

• Like 1

Bad news for my Hare's Deadpool but glad he's well.

the 37-year-old had been left temporarily paralysed on one side and was unable to use his left arm and leg.

Best birthday present I could have wished for, I managed to walk and my mum arrived to see this. "

But she soon got bored of him hobbling around in somewhat small anti-clockwise circles...

Former national cyclist, NA Rosli, 77, who had represented Malaysia at the 1964 Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan, was killed in a suspected hit-and-run accident here this morning. According to his son, Nor Effendy Rosli, his father was riding a motorcycle when it was involved in an accident in Jalan Kuchai Lama here at about 7am.

SC

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/print/sports/former-cyclist-n.a.-rosli-dies-in-suspected-hit-and-run-accident

I was reading about her earlier this week. As was, presumably, a few others on here.

Though I was also mentally sizing up the Daily Mail obit potential for a loud genre writer with advanced cancer too at the same time. (Not the one everyone here is holding back in the hope no one else has them on their DDP, she's a cert...)

Fred Dufel - an acclaimed cyclist, apparently - is terminally ill too, but doesn't seem to be as famous as his local press claim. Cert Deathrace fodder, though.

Right, so the BBC are covering Laws and reveal she has cervical cancer which spread to the pelvis (ie, Stage III) - however, it was discovered through secondary cancer on the neck and lymph nodes. Hmmm.

Right, so the BBC are covering Laws and reveal she has cervical cancer which spread to the pelvis (ie, Stage III) - however, it was discovered through secondary cancer on the neck and lymph nodes. Hmmm.

I actually thought that the obit was a given, but her fitness might carry her into 2018. I think she's not a great pick, merely a good one.

I actually thought that the obit was a given, but her fitness might carry her into 2018. I think she's not a great pick, merely a good one.

Obit cert. I was merely pointing out that if it has spread to her pelvis already, that's circa 35% 5 year survival to start. One to watch how the treatment goes, further updates, etc etc.

British endurance race cyclist Mike Hall killed in a race by a car.

6 hours ago, msc said:

British endurance race cyclist Mike Hall killed in a race by a car.

Bloody hell - have you seen how far that "unsupported" race is and the kind of distances this guy clocked in competition?

BIG respect.

Yes amazing. 

I note without surprise that the photo of him celebrating is with his mum rather than his wife. 

I would imagine doing a cycle race around the world and also other random 5,500 km races are quite incompatible with being married. The total distance of the 2017 Tour de France is about 3500 kms as a comparison.

Very sad but at least he was taking part in an activity he enjoyed when he died rather than sitting in a chair dribbling down his chin.

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

Yes amazing. 

I note without surprise that the photo of him celebrating is with his mum rather than his wife. 

I would imagine doing a cycle race around the world and also other random 5,500 km races are quite incompatible with being married. The total distance of the 2017 Tour de France is about 3500 kms as a comparison.

Very sad but at least he was taking part in an activity he enjoyed when he died rather than sitting in a chair dribbling down his chin.

Re the wife thing...

Google cycle racing + erectile dysfunction.

Just sayin'

• Like 2

Hahaha - I think that whilst I can get away with death listing at work and at home the google you suggest might be better left imagined - I presume having a saddle pressing on your bollocks for 12 hours a day is not good for todger stiffness.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Hahaha - I think that whilst I can get away with death listing at work and at home the google you suggest might be better left imagined - I presume having a saddle pressing on your bollocks for 12 hours a day is not good for todger stiffness.

Indeed

In a manner of speaking many of them limp over the line

• Like 1

Someone who I don't think has been mentioned before is 94 year old Eileen Sheridan, probably Britain's second best ever female cyclist (after the late Beryl Burton).  She popped up on tonight's BBC 4 documentary about Raleigh bikes, looking incredibly sprightly for her advanced years.  She broke numerous distance records in her career and, impressively, the record time she set in 1954 for cycling from London to Edinburgh has yet to be beaten.

Definitely broadsheet obit material, so I thought I'd put her name out there.

• Like 3

The Cycling VM is starting in Bergen, Norway on September 16th. Not sure if this should be posted her or in the Possible Terrorist attack locations forum.. 

On 10/10/2016 at 19:29, msc said:

Fred Dufel - an acclaimed cyclist, apparently - is terminally ill too, but doesn't seem to be as famous as his local press claim. Cert Deathrace fodder, though.

I mentioned this guy last year, and I'm not really sure why. Anyhow, he died in May, apparently. Very acclaimed! Also, not even useful for Deathrace points.

Just tying up a loose end, as it were.

• Like 1

Very sad. The writing was on the wall though as she hadn't tweeted in two months.

She was, again, on my shortlist. Would have been a good differential.

35 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Very sad. The writing was on the wall though as she hadn't tweeted in two months.

She was, again, on my shortlist. Would have been a good differential.

Me: Prognosis not great but she should see 2018.

Gcreptile: sticks her on his 2017 team.

I was a fortnight away from being right!

Anyhow, RIP, no age at all.

• Like 1