Night

Warren Buffett

Warren Buffett, billionaire financier, is recently widowed and getting on in years (not sure how old exactly but his wife's obituary mentioned they were married in 1952). As has been pointed out before the loss of a spouse is a major stressor.

At any rate I'm putting his name in for 2005.

• Like 1

He was married fairly young then - born Aug 30, 1930. He's a mere stripling of a lad, just coming up to 74.

Well, it was the rural Southern US. Good for them for exercising such restraint.

Guest Guest

Pretty sure Warren Buffet is from Nebraska - Northwest rural US

Just being reported that Buffett has been diagnosed with "non-life-threatening" prostate cancer. Should be on the BBC website soon

Just being reported that Buffett has been diagnosed with "non-life-threatening" prostate cancer. Should be on the BBC website soon

And here it is.

"I will let shareholders know immediately should my health situation change," he added. "Eventually, of course, it will. But I believe that day is a long way off."

Warren Buffett has chosen his successor at Berkshire Hathaway but he (or she?) remains unknown for now:

http://fortune.com/2015/02/28/warren-buffett-successor/

Also, he has bad eating habits, like drinking Coca-Cola almost exclusively, lots of ice-cream and potato chips:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/02/27/warren-buffett-has-some-pretty-questionable-eating-habits/

This should lead to some self-reflection for me, but I simply ignore it, and at the moment, I'm pretty healthy.

Wow, this thread is nearly abandoned. 8 posts in 11 years!

Anyways, I hope Warren Buffett stays with us for a long time. He's a billionaire AND a Democrat. You don't see that everyday!

Anyways, I hope Warren Buffett stays with us for a long time. He's a billionaire AND a Democrat. You don't see that everyday!

Er, well... he's certainly not the only one.

There's everyone's favourite, George Soros, for example. He's also known as "The Man Who Broke the Bank of England" and was largely seen as responsible for the severity of the 1997 financial crisis (speculated against the Malaysian ringgit and the Thai baht).

He is also a billionaire and donated millions of USDs to help Democrats in their (unsuccessful) bid to remove George Bush Jr. from power, and well known for his advocacy of progressive-liberal causes (like agitating Ukrainians against Russia) in the US as well as in Central and Eastern Europe (where he was born). Turning 85 this year, he could also make a decent candidate in a few years.

Yeah some of those Democrats in congress and guys like Michael Moore are like, only stuck in the $200-300 million range, those poor impoverished bastards.....

Yeah some of those Democrats in congress and guys like Michael Moore are like, only stuck in the $200-300 million range, those poor impoverished bastards.....

I'm not saying more Democrats should be billionaires, I'm saying more billionaires should be Democrats.

Warren Buffett's sister Doris has advanced Alzheimer's.

I can't link because I'm European.

13 minutes ago, FixedBusiness said:

No. A new law in Europe came into force  the other day and because we can opt out of sites nicking our personal information, some won't let us on.

GDPR.jpg

• Like 2

Ah, I see. I'll paste the text for @Clorox Bleachman, @Cat O'Falk and any more of you Euro's out there in spoilers!

Spoiler

Doris Buffett has Alzheimer’s, and now her foundation is the basis of a dispute.

Warren Buffett’s older sister, Doris, has health problems, including advanced Alzheimer’s disease, the Boston Globe reported, and her charitable work is the subject of disputes involving her foundation’s staff members and her grandson, Alexander Buffett Rozek.

The Globe story by Sacha Pfeiffer, published last weekend as shareholders of Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway met in Omaha, said Rozek had disagreements with the people who run Doris Buffett’s nonprofit Sunshine Lady Foundation after she moved to Boston from Virginia.

After the story ran, Warren Buffett told The World-Herald, “Alex has taken extraordinarily good care of Doris for a great many years.”

Doris Buffett, 90, attracted attention with the 2010 publication of a book, “Giving It All Away,” about her small grants to people with financial problems and her support for prison education programs and other projects.

Her brother helped fund some of the foundation’s early grants, but she began providing the money herself from Berkshire stock she owns, valued at about $50 million in 2015.

The Globe story said a rift between Rozek, 39, and the Sunshine Lady staff resulted in him and his grandmother leaving the foundation and setting up the separate Letters Foundation, so named because it receives and sorts letters asking for money.

Earlier this month, a former Letters employee, Emily Walsh Holland (no relation to the late Dick Holland of Omaha, an early Berkshire shareholder), pleaded not guilty to charges of taking confidential financial information and Doris Buffett’s medical records from the Letters Foundation, the Globe reported.

Holland told the Globe she believes she was fired because she questioned the way the Letters Foundation’s finances were handled. Rozek told the Globe that an investigative firm reviewed Holland’s concerns and found no evidence of mismanagement. He brought the theft complaint against Holland, the Globe reported.

In a letter to the Globe about the news article, forwarded to The World-Herald by Warren Buffett’s office, Amy Kingman, director of external relations for the Letters Foundation, said the foundation is “doing exactly what Doris Buffett has always loved to do: help others and show her appreciation for her employees and volunteers.”

Kingman said Rozek and other family members “receive no financial benefit from the Letters Foundation and never will.”

She said the foundation has given away more than $3 million to more than 300 people since 2016 and has a small staff and more than 100 volunteers who review thousands of request letters a year.

• Like 2

That must suck for European deadpoolers. Are there any ways to get around it?

6 minutes ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

That must suck for European deadpoolers. Are there any ways to get around it?

It's not all non-European websites that are blocked; they have a choice. The local newspaper in Omaha have basically said "if you have the option to turn off our ability to harvest your personal data to sell to advertisers then you can't use our website." This is the only one of the many sites  that I have visited to do this.

Read all about it here. You'll need some very strong coffee and a couple of matchsticks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Warren’s older sisters Doris is dead at 92

• Like 1

next year

Why?He is 90 yes but appears in good shape for his age.His only health problem I know of is prostate cancer which has been in remission from for 8 years and it was caught early.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sean said:

Why?He is 90 yes but appears in good shape for his age.His only health problem I know of is prostate cancer which has been in remission from for 8 years and it was caught early.

Yeah, prostate cancer, if caught early, takes forever to kill you.  He's not in any danger from that.  Doesn't mean he couldn't drop dead -- he's 90 -- but he isn't worth a pick just yet.  

well he's going on my list

Thought he died when I saw this tweet:

But Buffett is just stepping down as trustee of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.  And in the accompanying letter he writes this:

Please understand that these remarks are no swan song; I continue at my enjoyable job, doing what I like, aided by associates I like and working to deploy the savings of people who have long trusted me. I still relish being on the field and carrying the ball. But I’m clearly playing in a game that, for me, has moved past the fourth quarter into overtime.

Every time I see this dudes name it reminds me of this guy:

Wobbuffet type, strengths, weaknesses, evolutions, moves, and stats -  PokéStop.io

• Like 1
  • Haha 3