Sign in to follow this  
Deadly Doug

Phil Drabble

Naturalist Phil Drabble is now 94 years old. I've heard nothing of the old boy for a while now. Makes you wonder.

Makes you wonder what?

Is he all wrinkly? Is he sitting in his own wee? Does Mr Drabble dribble?

All these questions will soon be answered..........................................

I believe Phil Drabble to be dead. If he's still alive, I'll eat my tractor.

If someone could provide evidence of Mr Drabble's aliveness, I shall happily prepare a Massey Ferguson souffle. ;)

Naturalist Phil Drabble is now 94 years old. I've heard nothing of the old boy for a while now. Makes you wonder.

Isn't he getting a bit old for that sort of thing....

oh! Naturalist!

;)

Say grace!

And don't forget the salt and pepper!

For what it's worth, Bookseller World refers to him in the past tense but without giving a date of death. The British Film Institute doesn't show a date of death. He's a prediction on someone's 2007 deathlist game.

And, the May 14 TimesOnline shows his 93rd birthday.

He may well still be alive. If he got an OBE wouldn't that pretty much guarantee at least a mention in the BBC if he died or am I overestimating the importance?

For what it's worth, Bookseller World refers to him in the past tense but without giving a date of death. The British Film Institute doesn't show a date of death. He's a prediction on someone's 2007 deathlist game.

He may well still be alive. If he got an OBE wouldn't that pretty much guarantee at least a mention in the BBC if he died or am I overestimating the importance?

A birthday mention in the Times should clinch it that he's still alive

I could've sworn I saw a news item that he had died, but...

Newspapers have occasionally got it wrong, as the Independent kept saying Dame Helen Gardiner was alive when she wasn't, but The Times generally is quite accurate with these things.

I've checked the English death records from 1984 onwards, and he isn't there. So, unless he's died in the last 6 months, unreported, he appears to still be alive.

Searches for Drabble (and similiar sounding names) born May 14 between 1912 & 1916 in the English Death Records. Neither are our man..

If a ferret bites you it is nearly always your own fault. ~Phil Drabble

Ah DDT, I'm come over all nostalgic, that was my very first DL sig. I had Phil Drabble on my DDP team for a couple of years, everyone else seemed to think he was dead.

If a ferret bites you it is nearly always your own fault. ~Phil Drabble

Ah DDT, I'm come over all nostalgic, that was my very first DL sig. I had Phil Drabble on my DDP team for a couple of years, everyone else seemed to think he was dead.

I might have to find another glorious Drabble quote to use as my sig now :dead:

Anyway. I've been doing a bit of research...and I've found no conclusive proof either way.

This link, has a quote from Phil Drabble dating back to 2000 (""Thank you for telling me about your forthcoming book The Staffordshire Encyclopedia, which sounds most interesting"). The link also gives his home address...

Using a bit of detective work, I then found his phone number listed online, here (it's nearly at the bottom of the page)

I was just about to give him a ring (I've been drinking), when at the last moment I thought the better of it and decided to do a bit more digging. I then found another link (dating from 2003) which has a picture of Phil's house, accompanied by the following statement:

"It was for many years the home of the naturalist and writer, Phil Drabble."

After that, the trail goes cold...

No death date here either...

http://www.genarians.com/1914.html

Though the trouble (when I say the it should read as one of many) with the internet is everyone probably uses wikibloodypedia as their reference and thus constructing website after website upon the sand like the fools that they are. Similar to copying little Johnny's homework. You may never know - unless you make that phone call. Have a few pints maybe a brew by Badger could inspire you?

For our non-UK friends... Real ales, the elixir of men in beards.

Sorry, I should have also mentioned that Mr Drabble wrote a book entitled No Badgers in My Wood, as I'm not sure that would have got across the seas either

Strike a light!

I thought "No Badgers In My Wood" was just a eupemism used by Lesbians to fend off unwanted male advances :dead:

This is a wonderfully educational site, isnt it!!

Strike a light!

I thought "No Badgers In My Wood" was just a eupemism used by Lesbians to fend off unwanted male advances :dead:

This is a wonderfully educational site, isnt it!!

That could have been the sequel - No snakes in my grass. Or was that No logs for my beaver?

DDT, that link to the page with the phone number is the wrong one.

But what a scary looking house! And with a brilliant name to boot.

This link, has a quote from Phil Drabble dating back to 2000 (""Thank you for telling me about your forthcoming book The Staffordshire Encyclopedia, which sounds most interesting"). The link also gives his home address...

Using a bit of detective work, I then found his phone number listed online, here (it's nearly at the bottom of the page)

I was just about to give him a ring (I've been drinking), when at the last moment I thought the better of it and decided to do a bit more digging. I then found another link (dating from 2003) which has a picture of Phil's house, accompanied by the following statement:

DDT, that link to the page with the phone number is the wrong one.

But what a scary looking house! And with a brilliant name to boot.

Phil's phone number is here. I bet he won't answer, seeing as he must surely have died privately without telling anyone.

I think DDT you are prolonging the inevitable. Perhaps you should get in contact with Monsieur Mangetout to see if he can give you any tips about digesting tractors.

I called that number today and got a lady who very clearly said "This is the residence of Mr. Drabble." Sounded like a servant or perhaps a carer.

I muttered my apologies and rang off.

I wouldn't take the tractor out of the marinade just yet though. It could be some relative or something.

Perhaps someone with more of a plan should give it a go.

Talking in general you can't expect him to answer the phone - you need to play the game. If I was talking about everyday women, to win them you have to play the game and sometimes that can be very time consuming so I don't really like to play that game, I try to be a winner instantly hands down.

But here we are talking about a TV presenter mainly who had a show titled 'One man and his dog' which honest to god I have no idea what that means or what it was about besides the eight million it attracted. My point is you have to play that game on the phone but in a different tone, if you bullshit the girl who answers to phone for a little bit you might be able to take in a little information and if your lucky maybe the man himself.

If he lived in the US I would call him myself.

Would you care for relish on those mudguards, sir? Although I suppose you can quibble that he is now actually dead.

I wonder if NAP's crank calls were the final straw for Phil.

damn, I was hoping to include him on next year's list B)

I called that number today and got a lady who very clearly said "This is the residence of Mr. Drabble." Sounded like a servant or perhaps a carer.

I muttered my apologies and rang off.

I wouldn't take the tractor out of the marinade just yet though. It could be some relative or something.

Perhaps someone with more of a plan should give it a go.

So, you phone Mr Drabble and he dies, Banshees phones Charles Lane and he dies. Anyone got Kerry Katona's phone number?