harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Golf: The 19th Hole

Synch of a sort.
I mentioned a Willie McRae in the Conspiracy thread at the weekend, and whaddayouknow the legendary caddy Willie McRae goes and dies aged 85.

A well known face over the Ages.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2018/10/29/legendary-caddie-willie-mcrae-dies-85/38311423/

• Like 1

US Tour player in the 1970's Jim Jamieson dead at 75.

Best year was 72 when tied for 5th in the Masters and 2nd in the USPGA

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2018/12/07/jim-jamieson-passes-away-75.html

Per Golf Digest, Forrest Fezler died Friday at the age of 69. His son tweeted that his father had been battling brain cancer.

The elder Fezler played on the PGA Tour from 1972-1983 and managed to win the 1974 Southern Open for his sole PGA Tour title. He finished second at the 1974 U.S. Open as well. After his playing career, Fezler got into course design and construction. 
But Fezler would be most known for something that happened at Oakmont.  Fezler was competing in the 1983 U.S. Open at the storied course. Out of contention in the final round, Fezler went to a port-o-john after putting out on 17 and changed into shorts.  Technically, the U.S. Golf Association didn’t have a rule expressly banning shorts at that time. Fezler was still upset about an incident at the U.S. Open two years prior where he and playing competitor John Schroeder were assessed slow-play penalties that were ultimately rescinded.

Fezler knew 1983 would be his last U.S. Open and wanted to make a statement without getting in trouble. With some help from a photographer, Fezler got it confirmed by the USGA that wearing shorts wasn’t against the rules. So he took action that Sunday as a form of protest about the ’81 incident, with a photo snapped of his emergence into shorts.
SC

Twitterperch full of reports of the death of golf course designer Alice Dye.

Along with her hubby Pete, many championship courses. I recognise her from Rory McIlroy's PGA Golf (EA Sports) as she and Pete are name checked several times.

Uh oh, her tee shot went into the trap, and Dye looks to be buried.

I love the fact that we're reporting the death of a the wife of a gold course architect.

I've missed this place.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, charon said:

Former European Tour player Alan Strange, dead aged 59.

http://www.thegolfbusiness.co.uk/2019/02/tributes-for-golf-club-owner-who-has-died-aged-59/

When a Former European Tour player dies aged 59, “that’s Strange”.

So I was watching the Memorial Tournament at Muirfield Village, and there he was, Jack Nicklaus, greeting the players as they departed the 18th green.

Quite overweight and looked like he was coughing quite a bit, but otherwise not one for us for a while I'd say. Barring a runaway golf cart or a slip into a fairwayside river.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

a runaway golf cart or a slip into a fairwayside river.

Dangerous thing, golf courses:

9 minutes ago, msc said:

Dangerous thing, golf courses:

I've kinda been watching the PGA Tour events while I've had the house to myself for the past few weeks. Damn alligators true, saw them in the water in one event, and the little kids just on the shore yards away watching the tournament. Additionally, recently seen a nesting eagle plucking fish from a lake to take back to its nest. And everyone just shrugs and gets on with the game. You know what annoys the players? Whether there is an insect buzzing about their ball!

Australian golfer and "genuine legend" (apparently) Peter Toogood has become Peter Notgoodenoughtoreach90.

Scot Gordon Brand Junior has reportedly died aged 60:

Part of the Ryder Cup team that was the first European Team to win on American soil in 1987.

RIP.

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Scot Gordon Brand Junior has reportedly died aged 60:

Part of the Ryder Cup team that was the first European Team to win on American soil in 1987.

RIP.

I think the Ryder Cup Gordon Brand is different. He was English, this guy Scottish. Could be wrong tho. 

30 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

I think the Ryder Cup Gordon Brand is different. He was English, this guy Scottish. Could be wrong tho. 

1987 Ryder Cup.

Probably had as Scottish an accent as Sandy Lyle and Colin Montgomerie?

8 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Predicted by charon in Ideas and Possibilities for 2019 thread, Brian Barnes reportedly dead:

RIP - the longest lived Pipe Smoker of the Year since winning the award (he won in1977).

Edward Fox now takes that role (1980 winner).

I was thinking there might be a theme team 'GUN Up in Smoke' but they discontinued the award in 2003 and so there are only 12 living. :angry:

2 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

RIP - the longest lived Pipe Smoker of the Year since winning the award (he won in1977).

I was thinking there might be a theme team 'GUN Up in Smoke' but they discontinued the award in 2003 and so there are only 12 living. :angry:

You could always make a team of 12. Just ask this team

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

I think pipe smoking bowls player David Bryant is still with us and knocking on a bit now.

• Like 1